What is happening with 3G?
Microcellie's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, June 7th, 2010 12:31 AM

3g MicroCell - Can't MMS

Wife and I are unable to send picture messages via our iPhones when connected to our 3G MicroCell. We can send regular text messages just fine, but MMS will not work.

If I power down the MicroCell and connect via standard AT&T 3G, we can send picture messages just fine, so the issue is not with the phones. I've tried restarting the MicroCell along with the phones themselves, but this hasnt worked. Voice and regular texts work fine....everything but MMS.

There aren't too many configuration options with this thing, and I can't figure out what's going on. This problem just started a few days ago. 

Any ideas?

Edit - Just saw the maintenance bulletin. From the looks of things that shouldnt be affecting me, but who knows. 

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

12 years ago

BTW, it's not just the iPhone folks. I have a Samsung Captivate.

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

12 years ago

There's a 50k bandwidth cap on the MC, why data and most MMS fail.  I have plead my case to at&t, they don't care.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I am having the same problem with my Atrix HD drioid version 4.0.4.  When connected to my microcell with wifi off I can browse web and send mms but cannot recieve mms.  I get a download button and when activated is says downloading then give message could not be retrieved error.  I have been on phone for hours with AT&T CS and they even replaced my phone, same proble with replacement.  When in 4G signal area I can get mms no problem even with wifi on.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Me too. MC worked fine for 3 years. Suddenly no picture messages get through. Support says its a known issue & they can't help.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

You don't provide any information, so it is hard to provide any help.

Please answer the following questions:

MicroCell™ TroubleShooting Questions:

1. Do you have an active postpaid AT&T mobile account?
  2. Do you have a combined modem/router or a separate modem and router? What are the model numbers?
  3. Have you met the minimum requirements for router configuration as outlined in the Tech Guide?
  4. What are your download and upload speeds?
  5. What kind of internet service do you have (ADSL, cable, WiFi)?
  6. Are you using the basic connection (modem -> router -> MicroCell) or the alternate connection (modem -> MicroCell -> router)?
  7. What other equipment (computers, WiFi TV’s, Xboxes, Playstations, etc.) do you have connected to your network?
  8. What does the light pattern look like on the MicroCell (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G)? Are they all a solid green or is any of them blinking green or red, and if so, which one?
  9. Does the ac adapter feel warmer than the top of the MicroCell where the vents are?
  10. Are all of the cables firmly in place?
  11. Have you checked your line speed (http://www.speedtest.net/)? If so, please post results.
  12. Have you checked to see if you line is adequate for VoIP

(http://www.voipqualitytest.com/)? If so, please post your results.

13. Have you checked the Tech Guide?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Excellent! Please answer the questions.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

You said we aren't providing enough info so here goes. Ok, CenturyLink is my ISP--I have 10mbps home Internet connection via a mdm/rtr combo which I lease from CenturyLink but manage myself. I have 4 devices on the network DHCP client list found in my routers GUI. One is a laptop which has a working-fast connection testing at 10.1mbps download and 2 up. This device works hardwire or wifi. Also I have my Samsung Note 4 which also has great Internet access via wifi, speeds are same, my wife has a Galaxy 5-same network results as listed above for my phone, and alas-the Microcell is assigned a connection. MTU values are as defined in the Microcell installation and troubleshooting manual (they come factory at that value but I double checked). I immediately noticed the issue with MMS pictures with it first 24hrs (when connected via working wifi or no-5 bars of microcell service). I can remain connected to wifi, unplug microcell power, and receive mmsms. Or, I can simply kick airport mode on, then off-first my phone hits the local tower for data, and on one bar I can get the MultiMediaSMS before the Microcell authenticates and sees my phone again (30 seconds). But who wants to do all of that. I have the Microcell connected to a since tested ethernet port directly to the modem router combo. I went in upon noticing this problem and placed the Microcell outside the firewall (DMZ) after assigning it a fixed IP. Problem persists. Unlike some of these, mymy MC behaved this way since setup. I have the black model. I went ahead and defaulted my router and tried the multi-media message download again but it failed once again. My wife's phone is doing the same thing. So I set my router back up to the initial settings stated above, outside the DMZ. It is my personal opinion that this is a network description listed inside the Microcell. Maybe a proxy or DNS issue of some sort. I must say, when connecting through the Microcell my voice coverage is flawless and much better, but my data is far worse. I see great potential in the technology. Also, I have de & re- activated the MC but nogo. When experiencing these issues our network is idle on all devices, in other words nothing is being downloaded. All 4 lights are solid on the MC. Also we tried to purchase a Motorola Surfboard modem to test independent of our leased mdm rtr combo. Same results and the surfboard had no on board router. Took that back and kept our leased unit. All the while, our Internet is fine. If desired we can do anything we wish as far as Internet goes, streaming in 1080 is no problem, speed test are consistent. I work in networking as an IT and I know it's not the modem or Internet I have. It's either the tower not allowing me to use its data while obtaining voice through the Microcell or if that is never the case then it's the Microcell network specifications. Tried new power adapter and ethernet wire. Microcell shows ATT it is functioning properly and It shows that with its on board lights as well. Please forgive any punctuation or spelling issues above, I am typing on my smart phone. Hope this helps. Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

Internet connectivity is separate from the MicroCell in that your internet can be fine, but VoIP is having isues. The issue you describe is a common problem with Android-based devices. We have asked numerous times for help from Samsung and all they have said is try different colored SIM cards with the new, black MicroCell. They have admitted that there is a bug somewhere in the OS where the phone gives higher priority to voice over data when MMS/SMS is being used. Sounds lame but that's what we are being told. The fix will have to come from Samsung and so far, they've been really quiet on this. My guess is that the number of MicroCell-Samsung users is so small that they just don't want to take to the time to adequately test every interation of their OS for problems. AT&T could do a better job of testing as well but the ultimate fix will have to come from Samsung.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.