3g MicroCell - Can't MMS

Contributor

3g MicroCell - Can't MMS

[ Edited ]

Wife and I are unable to send picture messages via our iPhones when connected to our 3G MicroCell. We can send regular text messages just fine, but MMS will not work.

If I power down the MicroCell and connect via standard AT&T 3G, we can send picture messages just fine, so the issue is not with the phones. I've tried restarting the MicroCell along with the phones themselves, but this hasnt worked. Voice and regular texts work fine....everything but MMS.

There aren't too many configuration options with this thing, and I can't figure out what's going on. This problem just started a few days ago. 

Any ideas?

Edit - Just saw the maintenance bulletin. From the looks of things that shouldnt be affecting me, but who knows. 

Message 1 of 29 (11,632 Views)
Scholar

Re: 3g MicroCell - Can't MMS

are other data services working on your phones while connected to the microcell?  Web Browsing, email, etc?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 29 (11,550 Views)
Contributor

After turning my wifi off and with just the microcell, I'm unable to web browse or retrieve email. Apparently no data wants to get through.
Message 3 of 29 (11,517 Views)
Scholar

OK, so it appears that no data is working while on the MicroCell.  Tell us a little about your internet service and your home router.  I would first try to see what the MTU value is set to.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 29 (11,512 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

The strange this is, is that data used to work with it, so I'm not sure what happened.

My internet is through Verizon FiOS with an Actiontec router. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with MTu Smiley Happy

And thank you for your assistance.

Message 5 of 29 (11,489 Views)
Tutor

d00mz wrote:

OK, so it appears that no data is working while on the MicroCell.  Tell us a little about your internet service and your home router.  I would first try to see what the MTU value is set to.

I'm having the same problem.  My setup is WALL -> Westell Modem -> Linksys Router -> Microtell

AT&T 6.0 DSL

MTU is set to MANUAL 1492

I've also tried setting the IP of the microtell to DMZ.

HELP!!!!

Message 6 of 29 (11,095 Views)
gll
Voyager

My wife and I have the same problem with our I-Phone4's. We can text message OK, but when we try to add a picture with the text message, it will not go through the 3g Microcell. Did you find a fix to your problem???

Message 7 of 29 (10,290 Views)
Guru

Sending MMS was never a problem for us for most of our time with the Microcell, but for the last month or so, sometimes it just fails consistently, and other times, it works just fine. There's no pattern to be seen. Sometimes you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't.

There's no point calling AT&T - they couldn't care less whether the Microcell works or not. They've made that much abundantly clear.

Message 8 of 29 (10,266 Views)

This is a total crock of ____.

I don't know if it ever worked, but now it NEVER works to send a picture message when associated to the 3G Microcell.  Very annoying to have to go outside to get out of range of my Microcell to hook up to 3G directly in order to get the picture to send via SMS.

Message 9 of 29 (9,549 Views)

I would try bypassing the router and connect the microcell directly to your modem to see if that works, that way you can narrow the problem down to your microcell.  If the microcell remains to be an issue I would try powering it down for 1 minute then powering it back up (if you have yet to do so), after that my final step would be to deactivate it on your management page and set it back up new, reactivate, ect.  And if all that didn't work I would try returning it for a new one.

AT&T also has technical support by phone specifically for the microcell.  You may want to try calling them.

Message 10 of 29 (9,527 Views)

One more thing.. if bypassing your router does work, you can try adjusting your QoS (Quality of Service) on your router and set the QoS of the microcell to the top of the list.
Message 11 of 29 (8,991 Views)
Contributor

The problem is the micro-cell lacks the needed proxy to send/route the picture messages.  This is also affecting visual voicemail.  While you are connected to the micro-cell, call your cell number and leave a message.  On your iPhone you will see a message telling you about the recent missed call but nothing under voicemail.  Now unplug your microcell and as soon as you connect to a cell tower, your phone will show you have a message under voicemail.  The cell towers use the proxy.

This was confirmed to me by their higher level tech support.

Message 12 of 29 (8,904 Views)
ACE - Master

And for us, we have no problems at all sending/receiving texts/ pics. Makes no sense at all. But then again, we are talking AT&T......

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 29 (8,896 Views)
Scholar

Works for me on the same setup as you - verizon fios and actiontec router.

Message 14 of 29 (8,893 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

I am in the same boat. For several months, no issues. Then several weeks ago mms and data stopped working through the MC. Had to power cycle for those features to work. Now it has completely stopped and the power cycle trick does not work. I got a new one and it does the same thing. Call to ATT support.... ok thanks we will note it but until they release firmware update...... you are out of luck. Oh hey you could always use your wifi connection. Gee thanks {word filter evasion} but that doesnt solve the MMS problem or reason why I paid $150 for this piece of junk to only half work. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Message 15 of 29 (8,874 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.