Explore & discover

Helpful Links

3G Microcell should not handover to nearby tower

Teacher

3G Microcell should not handover to nearby tower

I'm now on my 3rd MicroCell device, where AT&T thinks that may be the issue. After reading a number of these posts, I can't believe the techs (tiers 1-4) seem to deny other people are reporting these issues in my neighborhood.

In in the epicenter of 3 towers, all within a mile of my home--with a 4th tier within 1.5 miles. It's a known gray area of no-to-weak signal from the towers 6-8 blocks east to west, and 2-4 blocks north to south).

I've fought with service here (metro Denver) for 8 years--and with my MicroCell(s) for 2 years and a month. I've tried a central home ("bad") location, 3 window 1st floor locations, and now 2 - 2nd floor locations. Randomly throughout the days and nights I lose M-Cell signal and acquire tower signal for about a minute--killing my connectivity.

Of I'm on a voice call, it goes silent, still counting down seconds of the call, while holding both call parties to each other for about 45 seconds--unable to hang up.

At night I listen to very quite music with my iPhone 4S docked next to my bed via my WiFi connection. Every time my signal switched and searches for the tower(s), I'm awakened by the much louder radio wave static running through my stereo speakers at sound level 7 or so. This goes on 5 -15 times a night. Gotta love that no?!

I've paid AT&T approximate $15,000 for two phones on the plan in eight years. I'd think for $15,000 this ought to be remedied. Do the imaginable math for all the rest of us poor suckers and, well . . . It's unfathomable how we're getting this kind of LACK of appropriate care and service.

AT&T needs to finally and fully make this right. As I said, I'm in the middle of Denver, Colorado. No buildings, power lines, or any other obstructions. Just a hole in the way they're pointing g their towers--and an entirely dysfunctional "fix" they call a MicroCell.

I am *terribly* unhappy. And I've spent truly countless hours going over this with countless techs of all tiers.

FIX IT AT&T.

Message 1 of 21
Contributor

Re: 3G Microcell should not handover to nearby tower

Why do you care about the windows?  That shouldn't make a difference.

Message 16 of 21
Contributor

I live in Denve CO and have worked in Telcom for 25 years across the country.  Placing the micro cell next to the window should actuallly cause more of a problem than it solves.

Message 17 of 21
Contributor

What I don't understand is just looked at an ATT Map with these dam mico cells on it and they are all over at least 100 in the DU Area.     When I went to the ATT store the person regertated a bunch of crap that the ATT engineers gave her.  The LTE Sucks and they only have one tower enabled with it and that is down by Broadway.  Shame ATT you are where the cable companies were 10 years ago.  

Message 18 of 21
ACE - Expert

@Manatee2000 - You've replied to a 3 year old post. The MicroCell needs to be within 18" of a window with an unobstructed view of the sky for GPS lock and sync. The MicroCell does not and can not interfere with the closest local tower. The only time the tower ( macrocell if you will ) is needed is during the Initial Activation when the MicroCell will adjust its 3G output based on the detected output of the closest tower. Basically, the further away from the closest tower (up to a point) the stronger the MicroCell's output and vice versa. There are other uses for the local tower as well and they are covered in my Tech Guide. The MicroCell does not use the local tower for cellular calls. If you have hand off enabled on your myAT&T MicroCell Settings page, any call that you originate on the MicroCell will be, or should be, handed over to the local tower as you leave the MicroCell's range. That is a function of your phone looking for and locking on to the cellular signal of the tower. However, the opposite is not true. Calls originating from a tower usually can not be handed off to the MicroCell. Handing off is covered in my Tech Guide.

There are no maps that I am aware of that specifically mark the MicroCell Service Areas. One can assume that the AT&T cellular coverage areas are similar to the MicroCell Service Areas but they can be inaccurate as FCC licensing and rules change. 

MicroCell Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 21
Contributor

I live west of Pensacola Florida directly between two towers no more than a mile to a mile and a quarter from each one and have a 3-g MicroCell which number one will never handoff a call number to when I turn the MicroCell off I cannot make a phone call from inside my house it's due due to the towers that evidently the antennas have been replaced transmitters replaced or something but AT&T can't seem to figure out what's going on in they say everything's fine but yet I keep getting dropped calls I have zero service inside my house without the MicroCell being turned on where is 2 months ago I had five bars inside my house now I have none
Message 20 of 21
ACE - Expert

@Pilotpop - there is a section in my Tech Guide (see link in my sig line) about handing off. Without knowing more details of which MicroCell you (white or black model), your setup, etc it's difficult to troubleshoot your issue.

MicroCell Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 21
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support