Explore & discover

Helpful Links

3G Microcell Light Blinking

Contributor

3G Microcell Light Blinking

My Microcell has worked for several years now. All of the sudden, about a week ago, the 3G Light started blinking. I've tried everything I can think of to get it to reconnect but nothing works. I've tried:

1. Power cycling

2. Disconnecting power to everything (Modem, router, microcell)

3. Checking ports

4. Alternate connections

5. Hard reset button on the back

6. De-registering it and attempting to activate it again.

After all this. It fails on Step 4: Activation of the activation process. It gives the following message:

FTC101: MicroCell was unable to connect to the AT&T network through your broadband connection. Please power cycle your modem, router and the 3G MicroCell (Unplug the power adapter from the wall outlet, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in). If the 3G light on the Microcell does not turn solid green after 30 minutes, please change your MicroCell configuration to the Alternate Connection (if applicable). To view this configuration, refer to page 17 in your 3G MicroCell User Manual. Wait 30 minutes for the 3G light to turn solid green. If problem persists, visit http://www.att.com/MicroCell-Help for advanced troubleshooting steps or call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.

Following these steps doesn't fix the issue. And my internet connection is fine. 

Message 1 of 34
ACE - Expert

Re: 3G Microcell Light Blinking

@kbaxyz - you really need to check the adapter. We've seen all kinds of odd behavior when the adapters begin to fail. It might not be delivering enough consistent power to the cellular radio. There's nothing more we can do until you check the status of the adapter.

MicroCell Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 34
Tutor

>>>
Your lack of WiFi coverage is more a function of whatever wireless router you are using.  Are you basing your statement on actual coverage or the signal strength indication on your phone?  While connected to WiFi Calling, you should refer to the WiFi signal strength indicator to measure your connection, not the usual cell tower signal strength indicator.
>>>

I am referring to physical area. The Mcell covers more ground; WiFi calling covers less. And yes, I understand WiFi calling is a function of the strength of my WiFi connection. I am intending eventually to extend my WiFi area, but other things must come first for now. I am judging the area of WiFi coverage by the fact that once outside of a certain physical area, calls are dropped or connections are so poor, I cannot carry on a conversation. My cell is my only phone, and being able to connect is a matter of safety. Getting a DSL phone line (my only option) to the house wouldn't help much; neighbors say it isn't reliable either. 

>>>While your indicator light pattern doesn't appear to be typical of a failing AC adapter, given the number of failures of adapters we've seen recently, it certainly wouldn't hurt to verify the output voltage of the adapter.  You didn't say if you replaced the adapter when you changed Mcells a year ago.  If you didn't, certainly check the old adapter.
>>>

Yes I will check the adapter. I did replace it when I changed the Mcell a year ago. 

Thank you.

Message 32 of 34
Tutor

>>> you really need to check the adapter.

Understood.

Message 33 of 34
ACE - Professor

Don't forget to check the adapter! Smiley Wink

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 34 of 34
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support