What is happening with 3G?
WhitePine's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, January 3rd, 2016 9:59 PM

3G Microcell Light Blinking

My Microcell has worked for several years now. All of the sudden, about a week ago, the 3G Light started blinking. I've tried everything I can think of to get it to reconnect but nothing works. I've tried:

1. Power cycling

2. Disconnecting power to everything (Modem, router, microcell)

3. Checking ports

4. Alternate connections

5. Hard reset button on the back

6. De-registering it and attempting to activate it again.

After all this. It fails on Step 4: Activation of the activation process. It gives the following message:

FTC101: MicroCell was unable to connect to the AT&T network through your broadband connection. Please power cycle your modem, router and the 3G MicroCell (Unplug the power adapter from the wall outlet, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in). If the 3G light on the Microcell does not turn solid green after 30 minutes, please change your MicroCell configuration to the Alternate Connection (if applicable). To view this configuration, refer to page 17 in your 3G MicroCell User Manual. Wait 30 minutes for the 3G light to turn solid green. If problem persists, visit http://www.att.com/MicroCell-Help for advanced troubleshooting steps or call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.

Following these steps doesn't fix the issue. And my internet connection is fine. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

>>>
Your lack of WiFi coverage is more a function of whatever wireless router you are using.  Are you basing your statement on actual coverage or the signal strength indication on your phone?  While connected to WiFi Calling, you should refer to the WiFi signal strength indicator to measure your connection, not the usual cell tower signal strength indicator.
>>>

I am referring to physical area. The Mcell covers more ground; WiFi calling covers less. And yes, I understand WiFi calling is a function of the strength of my WiFi connection. I am intending eventually to extend my WiFi area, but other things must come first for now. I am judging the area of WiFi coverage by the fact that once outside of a certain physical area, calls are dropped or connections are so poor, I cannot carry on a conversation. My cell is my only phone, and being able to connect is a matter of safety. Getting a DSL phone line (my only option) to the house wouldn't help much; neighbors say it isn't reliable either. 

>>>While your indicator light pattern doesn't appear to be typical of a failing AC adapter, given the number of failures of adapters we've seen recently, it certainly wouldn't hurt to verify the output voltage of the adapter.  You didn't say if you replaced the adapter when you changed Mcells a year ago.  If you didn't, certainly check the old adapter.
>>>

Yes I will check the adapter. I did replace it when I changed the Mcell a year ago. 

Thank you.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

>>> you really need to check the adapter.

Understood.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

Don't forget to check the adapter! Smiley Wink

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I am having same blinking 3G light issue. Chatted with 2 agents, they said they did reset by deactivating and reactivating microcell. Nothing. Second agent said light should be blinking, uh, I don't think so buddy. Supposedly they are looking into it. I did just check power supply and it measured 16.2 volts, so good there. I spent over 4 hours trying to resolve the issue. They did say they should be able to fix it in an hour. I'd like to know what they are doing as I anticipate this happening again.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

4 years ago

@Pappy3000 - Support may be able to fix it if it's on their end but experience has taught me that they probably haven't a clue (the flashing light response from the other CSR should be a clue).

Was the 3G light flashing green or red? The causes are different so it helps to know to isolate the issue. Basically red is a location verification issue and green could be a failed update (even though the MicroCell firmware hasn't received an update in years), a hardware issue, or something is blocking the connection between the MicroCell and AT&T's Mobility server. The last one is the most common issue and can be caused by updates from your provider if you use their equipment or something on their backend (re-routing pathways due to weather related problems, etc).

You should seriously start to consider WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if your phone is capable. Once AT&T begins to transition away from their 3G network (probably around Feb. 2021 or sooner), the MicroCell service will be discontinued and there are no plans to upgrade the MicroCell's to 4G/LTE so they will become obsolete.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

The light was flashing green. I did the hard reset holding reset button for 30 seconds-powering down while holding- holding 30 seconds more-powering up and holding another 30 seconds. Started working about 2 and a half hours later.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

4 years ago

@Pappy3000 - the hard reset usually corrects any issues quickly after the MicroCell reboots. If it took a couple of hours then either the MicroCell is beginning to fail or it was on your ISP side of things and they corrected/updated whatever they were doing. If the MicroCell is beginning to fail (you didn't mention which model you have) they can't be repaired. Again, look into WiFi-C as a long term solution.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

You replied to a really old post (Aug 2017). I have since changed to Wifi calling and it works just fine. The Microcell would work fine for several months, but then it would cease to work and it would take me several weeks of reset attempts to get it working again. But thank you for your response.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

4 years ago

@kbaxyz -  if that was in response to me I realize the post is old. I was responding to the poster who resurrected the post because he was experiencing the same issues as the subject of the post indicated. Glad to hear you switched to WiFi-C. A lot of folks don't want to because it probably entails purchasing a new phone. However, if they don't start planning now, they are going to wake up some time late next year or very early the following year with no MicroCell service.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.