What is happening with 3G?
WhitePine's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, January 3rd, 2016 9:59 PM

3G Microcell Light Blinking

My Microcell has worked for several years now. All of the sudden, about a week ago, the 3G Light started blinking. I've tried everything I can think of to get it to reconnect but nothing works. I've tried:

1. Power cycling

2. Disconnecting power to everything (Modem, router, microcell)

3. Checking ports

4. Alternate connections

5. Hard reset button on the back

6. De-registering it and attempting to activate it again.

After all this. It fails on Step 4: Activation of the activation process. It gives the following message:

FTC101: MicroCell was unable to connect to the AT&T network through your broadband connection. Please power cycle your modem, router and the 3G MicroCell (Unplug the power adapter from the wall outlet, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in). If the 3G light on the Microcell does not turn solid green after 30 minutes, please change your MicroCell configuration to the Alternate Connection (if applicable). To view this configuration, refer to page 17 in your 3G MicroCell User Manual. Wait 30 minutes for the 3G light to turn solid green. If problem persists, visit http://www.att.com/MicroCell-Help for advanced troubleshooting steps or call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.

Following these steps doesn't fix the issue. And my internet connection is fine. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@jntmac - WiFi has nothing to do with the MicroCell. Your internet connection can be fine but your MicroCell uses different protocols and has specific requirements which may be adversly affected. I have created a post about the loss of connecivity complaints so please read it and respond there. I'm trying to compile a list of affected areas to send to the Admins next week to see if this is a regional issue or not. Nothing will probably be fixed over the weekend.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

7 years ago

It was what I suspected all along. AT&T network issues. After complaining up the ladder I received a text saying their technicians had resolved the issue. Nothing to do with the microcell equipment I have. I also received the new adapter and tested it. Tested 12vdc so I didn't even bother changing it since the connection was restored and has worked flawlessly since. Complain loud enough and someone will hear you. Usually.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@rjalder wrote:

It was what I suspected all along. AT&T network issues. After complaining up the ladder I received a text saying their technicians had resolved the issue. Nothing to do with the microcell equipment I have. I also received the new adapter and tested it. Tested 12vdc so I didn't even bother changing it since the connection was restored and has worked flawlessly since. Complain loud enough and someone will hear you. Usually.

@rjalder - if your ac adapter tests at 12VDC with no load it is not good and will eventually fail. The specs are 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load. Once a load is applied to the adpater, the voltage will drop a bit, and if the minimum is 12VDC output, and the adapter drops below that, you're going to have problems. I don't know what problem the technicians resolved but the current issue that a lot are having with loss of connecivity has not been resolved to my knowledge.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

7 years ago

Show me those specs

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@rjalder - we tested lots and lots of adapters and all read at 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load. Folks who were having issues, and ones that we knew were bad, had adapters that tested lower. Once replaced, their MicroCell came back up without any issues. Some even had issue with adapters that tested much higher than 16.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

This document explains what the lights mean, but I know what they mean. I cannot activate my Microcell, no matter what I do. And I follow all the instructions, unplugging it, resetting it, disconnecting it, reconnecting. NOTHING WORKS. I've used a Microcell (2 different ones; I upgraded about a year ago) for 4 years. I've not changed any settings or added any new software. The bottom line here is that if AT&T cannot provide a signal where I live, then it's time for me to find another carrier. I pay for a service I am not getting. The Microcell should work, plain and simple. In the past, when I have gone through something similar, it takes forever to get it working again. I don't have the time to go through this each time.

Something odd on the activation page... the elapsed time cycles through 07:04 to 07:05 then back to 07.04 and back to 07:05. I noticed this previously as well. So elapsed time isn't accurate.

Given that the iPhone app is telling me that the Microcell app won't be compatible with iOS11, the Microcell is little more than a paperweight at this point. Albeit, an expensive one. I expect better from AT&T.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@kbaxyz - The MicroCell app for the iPhone is lame. It is very outdated and the developer, not AT&T, has not been inclined to update it. The best way to access your myAT&T Settings page is with your computer.

It sounds like something is hindering your connection to the AT&T Mobility servers. Have you tried a hard reset following the instructions given in my Tech Guide? Have you verified that ALL the minimum router requirements are still being met? Have you checked the ac adapter?

Without knowing how you have the MicroCell setup, hardware involved, your ISP it's difficult to help you. I don't know what you mean about software because there isn't any software associated with the MicroCell. 

If your iPhone is capable of WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) that would be your best option because you wouldn't need a MicroCell.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Well, I can get the 3G light to a solid green light after 5 or 6 hours. But my iPhone doesn’t pick up the Microcell (or vice versa). So while all lights are solid green, I get no actual connection. 

My referring to software, I meant only that I’ve made no recent changes to my computer or iPhone. I understand there is no software associated with the Microcell.

Yes, I understand I have the option of WiFi calling, but it doesn’t cover as large of an area as the Microcell did when it was working.

You stated that the developer, not AT&T, is responsible for updating the app. I understand this. But… AT&T sells the Microcell as a solution to a weak signal. If the developer doesn’t plan to upgrade it, then perhaps AT&T could pressure them a bit, or take over the app themselves. 

Yes, I read all your tips. I’ve done everything, resets, disconnect/connect, unplug/plug-in, etc., etc. Multiple times. I’ve rebooted my iPhone as well. The only thing I haven’t done is check the AC adapter, as I’m not equipped to do so. I need a volt meter to do so and it is on my list of things to do.

Meanwhile, I still have what amounts to an expensive paperweight.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

Your lack of WiFi coverage is more a function of whatever wireless router you are using.  Are you basing your statement on actual coverage or the signal strength indication on your phone?  While connected to WiFi Calling, you should refer to the WiFi signal strength indicator to measure your connection, not the usual cell tower signal strength indicator.

The Mcell is old technology that is on its way out.  As more phones reach the market that are WiFi Calling capable and older non-WiFi Calling phones are phased out over time, the Mcell will fade away with them.  It doesn't surprise me that the app hasn't been updated nor would it surprise me if it isn't ever updated.  AT&T knows that the Mcell's time is coming to an end so don't hold your breath on that one.

While your indicator light pattern doesn't appear to be typical of a failing AC adapter, given the number of failures of adapters we've seen recently, it certainly wouldn't hurt to verify the output voltage of the adapter.  You didn't say if you replaced the adapter when you changed Mcells a year ago.  If you didn't, certainly check the old adapter.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@kbaxyz - you really need to check the adapter. We've seen all kinds of odd behavior when the adapters begin to fail. It might not be delivering enough consistent power to the cellular radio. There's nothing more we can do until you check the status of the adapter.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.