What is happening with 3G?
WhitePine's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, January 3rd, 2016 9:59 PM

3G Microcell Light Blinking

My Microcell has worked for several years now. All of the sudden, about a week ago, the 3G Light started blinking. I've tried everything I can think of to get it to reconnect but nothing works. I've tried:

1. Power cycling

2. Disconnecting power to everything (Modem, router, microcell)

3. Checking ports

4. Alternate connections

5. Hard reset button on the back

6. De-registering it and attempting to activate it again.

After all this. It fails on Step 4: Activation of the activation process. It gives the following message:

FTC101: MicroCell was unable to connect to the AT&T network through your broadband connection. Please power cycle your modem, router and the 3G MicroCell (Unplug the power adapter from the wall outlet, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in). If the 3G light on the Microcell does not turn solid green after 30 minutes, please change your MicroCell configuration to the Alternate Connection (if applicable). To view this configuration, refer to page 17 in your 3G MicroCell User Manual. Wait 30 minutes for the 3G light to turn solid green. If problem persists, visit http://www.att.com/MicroCell-Help for advanced troubleshooting steps or call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.

Following these steps doesn't fix the issue. And my internet connection is fine. 

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

7 years ago

I have been experiencing the "Green Blinking" light issue for about a week now. I ordered a replacement microcell thinking it was a hardware issue. I installed the refurbished replacement device and am still having the same issue. Installed newest firmware for my router and checked all settings i.e. ports, mtu, etc..., checked adapter voltage (the post stating 16VDC is incorrect since the stated output on the adapter states 12VDC) No luck. Being a computer systems engineer I have exhausted all my knowledge on my end. I'm beginning to think that it is a network issue with AT&T. The next step will be contacting OOP (AT&T's the Office of the President). I've had pretty good luck in escalating an issue to that level.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@rjalder wrote:

I have been experiencing the "Green Blinking" light issue for about a week now. I ordered a replacement microcell thinking it was a hardware issue. I installed the refurbished replacement device and am still having the same issue. Installed newest firmware for my router and checked all settings i.e. ports, mtu, etc..., checked adapter voltage (the post stating 16VDC is incorrect since the stated output on the adapter states 12VDC) No luck. Being a computer systems engineer I have exhausted all my knowledge on my end. I'm beginning to think that it is a network issue with AT&T. The next step will be contacting OOP (AT&T's the Office of the President). I've had pretty good luck in escalating an issue to that level.

@rjalder - The ac adapter needs to be 16VDC +/- 0.5 with NO LOAD. That gives the adapter plenty of overhead, with a load, to reliably and consistently deliver 12VDC. If the tested adapter results anything less than about 16VDC, replace the adapter with one of the same rating, confirm that it is reading 16VDC and then connect the MicroCell to see what happens. If you are using the original adapter that came with your "failed" MicroCell, and are using the same adapter with the replacment MicroCell resulting in the same issue, I'd suspect the adapter.

I have 3 MicroCell's. The original DPH-151, 153, and the newest 154. All work just fine and the tested adapters, with no load, all read 16VDC +/- 0.5. 

The flashing green 3G is indicative of a loss of connectivity to the AT&T Mobility Servers, a hardware failure, or an update that didn't reset the MicroCell correctly. All of this is given in the Tech Guide (see link in my sig). 

There are other issues that can affect connectivity to AT&T such as line quality issues, an ISP update or any number of issues. And yes, it could be an AT&T issue as well but not all of the options have been looked at yet.

Who is your ISP and what kind of internet service do you have (cable or DSL)?

Escalating to the OOP will do absolultely no good becuase all they will do is bump you back down to CustomerCare. You're best off here, or send a pm to CustomerCare (link in my sig) stating your problem, what you have done to correct it, any ticket numbers assigned to you, your account information, and the best way for them to contact you. Most often their answer is to send you a replacement MicroCell. However, if you send the pm, that can be followed up internally and I can push as well. No guarantees.

Bottom line, try a new adapter first and see what happens with either MicroCell (if you didn't have to exchange the original one).

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

Good luck with the OOP......do you honestly think a corporate officer cares?

At any rate, what was the voltage that you saw when testing your adapter?  Just to set the record straight (again) about measuring adapter output voltage, The adapter is designed to provide the stated output voltage with the Mcell plugged into it.  Since there is no resistive load on the adapter when you test it, it will have a higher voltage.  Your car battery is 12 VDC but a no-load measurement across the terminals will show around 14.4 VDC.

The 16 VDC +/- 0.5 VDC measurement is what we've found to be the normal output of a working Mcell AC adapter with no load.  If you measured 12 VDC with a voltmeter, then your adapter is most likely failing.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

Jinxed!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

sent you a message.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

7 years ago

@OttoPylot- I think your right about the adapter voltage being the issue, I'm showing 12vdc at the pin plug.FYI I still have the old microcell and was using the old adapter. How do I get a replacement a/c adapter with compatible voltage output for the microcell from AT&T? Should I contact customer care or get one on my own?

@Avedis53- I also suspected my ISP may have changed or updated the network but was unable to reach a network engineer untill Monday.

and your right about the corporate lackeys at the OOP. But at least they've come through with free phones and microcells and I'm talkin a Lumia 1020! Never hurts to b_tch at the ones at the top that actually can make a decision.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@rjalder - the adapter ratings are given on the adapter and are also listed, for both the white and black models in my Tech Guide. They are almost exactly the same but it never hurts to replace same with same. I've been after AT&T for years to include a new adapter in the replacements they send out but it has fallen on deaf ears. They just don't have a clue. If  your current adapter is reading 12VDC with no load, then once the load is applied there's no telling how far below 12VDC output it is.

The included adapters are not very robust and given the fact that they are applying a constant 12VDC, 24x7 for years, they usually give out long before the MicroCell does, unless they spike and cook the MicroCell (which we've seen happen as well). You can try to convince AT&T to send you a new one but it might just be easier to find one on Amazon or at your local electronics store. Just test whatever you get first before use to ensure that it is delivering more than 12VDC with no load.

Unfortunately AT&T's answer to all problems MicroCell is to send out a replacment without trying to determine the root cause. Drives me nuts! You would be amazed at how many strange issues we see when the adapters start to fail. To give credit to Support though, they really do want to help the customer but they themselves don't get the support, or proper training, that they need.

Let us know if the adpater fixes the issue. If not, we'll have to look deeper into your setup, ISP, etc but at least you know that the adapter is not the issue. Sometimes it's the simplest answers that fix a seemingly complicated problem.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

7 years ago

@OttoPylot - Not sure what happened, rebooted the old microcell in the morning, sent a PM to Customer Care about my issue (forgot to mention you) and requested a new adapter in the afternoon and by evening I was activated! Either faulty adapter or faulty AT&T network engineers. I ordered a new adapter from ebay in case I don't receive one from AT&T to install. After reading your tech support post and researching info on the internet I believe it is intermittent issues with the adapter. Thinking back, I remember the microcell losing network connectivity a number of times in the past couple of months. I'll keep you posted after I receive the new adapter. Thanks for the help.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

Thanks. Please let us know if the adapter fixes it.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

My ATT 3G Microcell has worked fine for the past year, and now the network light keeps flashing green.  I've rebooted it numerous times, as well as a hard reset.  Nothing.  I deleted it from my ATT account and then set it back up again as new, and it still just blinks green on the network light.  Please help, I can't use my cell phone in my house for any calls.  And before you ask, my wireless wifi network works great, and nothing has changed on it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.