3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

Contributor

3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

My GPS, Ethernet, and power light are on with a solid green. My 3G light is a solid red that flashes every three seconds. I use a Netgear router/modem; honestly, I'm not sure what a modem or router looks like but I plugged the microcell's ethernet into the Netgear. I've tried disconnecting then reactivating the microcell. No luck.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue would be awesome. I live in the countryside where cell phone reception is severely limited. Thanks!

Message 1 of 121 (60,847 Views)
Teacher

Re: 3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

Is what you are saying, that the flashing red light is caused by a failure to properly process a firmware update?  My first one went for a year without an issue.  Why do you suppose it would suddenly change?  I replaced it with a new one and I think the longest this one has gone, without flashing red, is a few days.  Are they really updating that often?

Message 46 of 121 (30,879 Views)
Teacher

Hey, AT&T... How about some technical information about this issue.
Message 47 of 121 (30,858 Views)
ACE - Master

midget3376 wrote:

Is what you are saying, that the flashing red light is caused by a failure to properly process a firmware update?  My first one went for a year without an issue.  Why do you suppose it would suddenly change?  I replaced it with a new one and I think the longest this one has gone, without flashing red, is a few days.  Are they really updating that often?

I don't know, or think, they are updating that often but it could be that whatever they did, the new chipset doesn't understand what the mother ship is sending and tries to reset itself. Purely conjecture on my part though. In my case, the blinking red light happned about  3 or 4 months ago and was noticed in the morning. Typically, AT&T does their updates at night when there is the least likelyhood of service interruption so if it doens't work, you'll see the blinking green or red 3G light. I had never seen a blinking red 3G light before which meant a hardware failure. A simple power cycle fixed mine and has been trouble-free since. The assumption then was an update that failed to reset properly making the MicroCell think there was a hardware failure. I am on my third MicroCell. All three were replaced under warranty well over a year ago but the third one, my current one, was a version 2. I don't know if that makes any difference but this one has been rock solid ever since even thru multiple power outages and the dreaded blinking red 3G light  "update". The version numbe BTW is on the bottom of the MicorCell on the serial number sticker in very small print (V2).

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 48 of 121 (30,848 Views)
Mentor

I have the same issue for the past week. The 3G light has been blinking. Every morning I have to reset and wait almost a half hour for it to re-connect.
Message 49 of 121 (30,823 Views)

My Mcell has been going to a red flashing 3G light every day even with power cycling it. Sometimes my phone will continue to connect to it even when the light is red.

One thing that I didn't think would be related but I have an ipv6 tunnel setup thru my router. I'm guessing I need to update my addresses as I started having issues with it last night. Since I haven't had time to do so I've got ipv6 disabled. My Mcell went green when my Internet came back last night and was green when I got home tonight as well. I will do some more experimenting later this week and see if my ipv6 settings were in fact the cause of my Mcell issues.
Message 50 of 121 (30,717 Views)
Contributor

Re: G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

Microcell was flashing red about initial setup and operational for two hours. After trying all methods to reset and re-activate I gave up and returned the device to the local AT&T store. The second device did the same thing and online customer service was a JOKE. The kindly told me that the GPS location would not verify my registered location and they would call me in the future if a fix was possible. This is a poor product design with poor support. I am going to return the second MC. Sincerely, Frustrated User

Message 51 of 121 (30,655 Views)
Mentor

Mine continues to have this issue.  Every morning I have no service and must reset Microcell.  It takes on average 30 minutes every morning for this process.  As I am typing, the 3G light is currently flashing red and I still have service and service is as usuable as it typically is, which is decent.

Message 52 of 121 (30,495 Views)
Contributor

I read somewhere on this page to unplug it over night so it will clear all settings. Then i plugged it in the next morning and in ten min or less the light was solid!! Thanks to who ever posted it first! I tried everything else possible and now im hoping it stays wirking. I didnt have to reactivat. I think think stormy weather or power flash causes it. ??
Message 53 of 121 (30,396 Views)
Contributor

I am definitely NOT a tech.....Tried overclockedpc's fix to my flashing red 3G light.  So far, no connection.  Once I activated the MCell it worked great for about a month.  Then it started going "off-line" every couple of weeks.  Gradually it got to the point I powered off the MCell at least 3 times a week until last week.  After that the power offs haven't worked.  This is so frustrating.  If I'm lucky I have 1 bar inside my house.  When the MCell works I still don't have all bars, but at least I can receive calls and text. Wish there was a permanent fix.  If I switched phones to the newer Iphone 4 would it help?

Message 54 of 121 (30,152 Views)
ACE - Master

chwilsontennis wrote:

I am definitely NOT a tech.....Tried overclockedpc's fix to my flashing red 3G light.  So far, no connection.  Once I activated the MCell it worked great for about a month.  Then it started going "off-line" every couple of weeks.  Gradually it got to the point I powered off the MCell at least 3 times a week until last week.  After that the power offs haven't worked.  This is so frustrating.  If I'm lucky I have 1 bar inside my house.  When the MCell works I still don't have all bars, but at least I can receive calls and text. Wish there was a permanent fix.  If I switched phones to the newer Iphone 4 would it help?

A newer iPhone probably won't make a difference. There are still issues with the iPhone that Apple, Cisco, and AT&T need to still work out.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 55 of 121 (30,146 Views)
Contributor

I just received a microcell. Mine worked for about 10 minutes today (first day) then solid red light. Reset didn't work, power cycle didn't work, and the multi step recipe involving 2 minutes of wait time between some steps did not work either.

So what should I do? any helpful AT&T representatives reading this forum? or do they only intervene  when they need to moderate?

-Aurelio

Message 56 of 121 (29,954 Views)
ACE - Master

It's possible that you received a defective MicroCell (as opposed to a crappy MicroCell). You may have to call support (not a pleasant experience) and jump thru the hoops. Hopefully they'll send you a replacement if you've set it up properly (no double NAT, etc).

Message 57 of 121 (29,945 Views)
Contributor

So, like many of you, I too woke up a couple mornings ago to MicroCell that had been work great now with a red flashing 3G light. I tried reset by unplugging and some of the recommends here. I tried AT&Ts support page recommendation which included restarting my router. After calling tech support and discussing the problem, we both came up with the same thought: reregister the MicroCell, which the tech did for me but you can do from the management page by deregistering the MicroCell and doing the registration over again. You'll need to rekeying everything. Bottom line, I'm up and running in under 90 minutes. And haven't had any issues. Hope this helps someone.
Message 58 of 121 (29,905 Views)
Voyager

Re: 3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing ** Might Know The Problem! Pls answer 4 simple questions!

Here's my story:

I bought the MicroCell about a month ago. Everything seemed to go fine, but about once a week it gets the 3G light flashing red.  Power cycling it resolves the problem (after re-acquiring GPS etc) and returns me to green, but I'm gonna be pretty annoyed if I have to power cycle this thing every week. As to the questions:

1) Pittsburgh, PA

2) No idea

3) Been happening ~ once a week for a month.

4) Lasts about 4 days.

I finally called AT&T support today, and they "re-registered the MicroCell" for me, but told me that I might want to consider taking the unit back (since it's 28 days old) to swap it out for a new unit.  I'm somewhat concerned because the problem takes several days to manifest... I guess we'll see between now and tomorrow.

I'm sort of tempted to give up on this and just get a signal booster.

Message 59 of 121 (29,880 Views)
ACE - Master

purplenoise wrote:

I just received a microcell. Mine worked for about 10 minutes today (first day) then solid red light. Reset didn't work, power cycle didn't work, and the multi step recipe involving 2 minutes of wait time between some steps did not work either.

So what should I do? any helpful AT&T representatives reading this forum? or do they only intervene  when they need to moderate?

-Aurelio

There is a reset button on the back of the MicroCell just above the power cord I believe. Just use a straightened paper clip and insert and hold for about 10 seconds. I think there's instructions in the sparse docs that came with it. I don't remember if you hold in the reset button and power up the MicroCell or not. It's like a hard reset that sometimes fixes issues that a simple powercycle won't.

Message 60 of 121 (29,878 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.