Posted Dec 16, 2011
7:32:14 PM
View profile
3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

My GPS, Ethernet, and power light are on with a solid green. My 3G light is a solid red that flashes every three seconds. I use a Netgear router/modem; honestly, I'm not sure what a modem or router looks like but I plugged the microcell's ethernet into the Netgear. I've tried disconnecting then reactivating the microcell. No luck.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue would be awesome. I live in the countryside where cell phone reception is severely limited. Thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 10, 2012 8:44:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just wanted the forum to know that my experience with AT&T Support was positive.  I had the flashing red light shortly after I completed my set-up at home.  It was easy to get the light back to steady green for an hour or two. Just pull the plug and restart 

After two days of the flashing red light, I called AT&T Support.  I waited about 10 minutes for a support person (early Sunday morning).  I asked her if she knew about the flashing red light problem.  She said she did and had proposed solutions depending on the diagnosis.  I told her that the AT&T Store had activated the Microcell for me.  I didn't return home and complete the rest of the steps for about two hours.  She said that was too long of an interval and Support will advise stores not to activate at purchase.  She deactivated and reactivated my Microcell for me.  Second, her screen indicated that my GPA signal was not locking permanently.  She asked how close was my Microcell to a window and were there any obstructions.  I was at the margin of the recomended distance to the window (3-4') and the  window is at a corner and I am surrounded by lots of trees.  I moved the Microcell to almost touch the window and opposite from the corner.  Her screen showed the GPS lock problem had disappeared from her screen.

I have been up and running now for more tha 48 hours with a steady green light.

117 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(117)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2013 1:24:51 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi fire19,

We received your private message this morning and one of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Hi fire19,

We received your private message this morning and one of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Re: 3G Microcell - reseting everyday

91 of 118 (4,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2013 7:09:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks Nicole :smileyhappy:

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Thanks Nicole :smileyhappy:

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

92 of 118 (4,777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 28, 2013 9:12:35 AM
(0)
Contributor

I wanted to share my "3G light flashing red daily" experince so it might help others.  My first Mcell worked flawlessly for almost 2 years connected to my Linksys E3200 router.  It stopped working altogether, so I bought a new one 3/26/13.  New unit activated fine, but my phones would not stay connected to it, dropping connection multiple times daily.  They would reconnect when I power cycled the unit.  After a couple of weeks, the 3G light started blinking green, would not stay lit, and finally went to solid red.  After calling support, the rep set up a warranty exchange and assured me that the refurbished unit AT&T sent had been thoroughly tested.  I connected the new (refurb) unit to my router, and it worked perfectly upon initial setup.  However, the next morning, the 3G light blinked red.  I power cycled the unit, and everything worked perfectly until the next day.  Every a.m. I found the same condition with a power cycle returning unit to service upon which it worked perfectly until the next night or early a.m.  I called AT&T support on multiple occasions.  One tech told me it was not accepting a software update, another told me to check my speed, and another said it was not the unit but must be my internet connections that had problems.  I also tried all the things I knew or learned about on this forum.  I installed the unit priority mode, I deactivated it and reactivated it, and I did the ethernet cord unplug shuffle.  None of these things made the unit work 24/7 instead of 23/7.  Finally, I even called my ISP who came out and checked my DSL connection and line.  No problems!  Finally, the tech who did all the follow up calls told me she didn't really know what to do, but she was willing to send me a new unit.  I received my new (2nd refurb) unit and activated it (5/17/13) connecting it to my router.  It has worked flawlessly as my old one did, even surviving several thunderstorms.  I haven't had to power cycle it once during its 2 weeks in service.  It's now 5/28/13, and I started this process 3/26/13!  I don't fault the techs who tried to help me.  They were simply responding to the symptoms I had and assumed I had a reliable Mcell.  I really appreciate the follow-up and their willingness to send me another unit.  However, Cisco and AT&T have a real hardware quality control problem.  My new unit didn't work, one refurb didn't work, and it took 2 months to get a problem-free Mcell.  That's not acceptable!  I hope my lengthy experence can help others avoid the same problems.  Thank you to all other contributors who offer their helpful advice.   

I wanted to share my "3G light flashing red daily" experince so it might help others.  My first Mcell worked flawlessly for almost 2 years connected to my Linksys E3200 router.  It stopped working altogether, so I bought a new one 3/26/13.  New unit activated fine, but my phones would not stay connected to it, dropping connection multiple times daily.  They would reconnect when I power cycled the unit.  After a couple of weeks, the 3G light started blinking green, would not stay lit, and finally went to solid red.  After calling support, the rep set up a warranty exchange and assured me that the refurbished unit AT&T sent had been thoroughly tested.  I connected the new (refurb) unit to my router, and it worked perfectly upon initial setup.  However, the next morning, the 3G light blinked red.  I power cycled the unit, and everything worked perfectly until the next day.  Every a.m. I found the same condition with a power cycle returning unit to service upon which it worked perfectly until the next night or early a.m.  I called AT&T support on multiple occasions.  One tech told me it was not accepting a software update, another told me to check my speed, and another said it was not the unit but must be my internet connections that had problems.  I also tried all the things I knew or learned about on this forum.  I installed the unit priority mode, I deactivated it and reactivated it, and I did the ethernet cord unplug shuffle.  None of these things made the unit work 24/7 instead of 23/7.  Finally, I even called my ISP who came out and checked my DSL connection and line.  No problems!  Finally, the tech who did all the follow up calls told me she didn't really know what to do, but she was willing to send me a new unit.  I received my new (2nd refurb) unit and activated it (5/17/13) connecting it to my router.  It has worked flawlessly as my old one did, even surviving several thunderstorms.  I haven't had to power cycle it once during its 2 weeks in service.  It's now 5/28/13, and I started this process 3/26/13!  I don't fault the techs who tried to help me.  They were simply responding to the symptoms I had and assumed I had a reliable Mcell.  I really appreciate the follow-up and their willingness to send me another unit.  However, Cisco and AT&T have a real hardware quality control problem.  My new unit didn't work, one refurb didn't work, and it took 2 months to get a problem-free Mcell.  That's not acceptable!  I hope my lengthy experence can help others avoid the same problems.  Thank you to all other contributors who offer their helpful advice.   

93 of 118 (4,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 28, 2013 9:51:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Glad to hear that it is finally working. It's unfortunate that you had to go thru all of that to get it to work. One thing you could've tried, or can try if you get the blinking red or green 3G light again is do a reset (not a power cycle). There is a reset hole on the back of the unit. Just hold in the button for at least 30 seconds and then release. Sometimes when an update is sent, the unit doesn't properly reset itself and it thinks its a hardware failure (blinking red 3G light). Power cycling sort of resets the unit but sometimes you need to peform a hard reset to clear anything that may be corrupted in the flash ROM. Blinking green 3G is usually indicative of an activation issue, a port issue, an ISP config issue, router issue, AT&T server issue, etc. Bacially mulitple problems with the same symptom.

Glad to hear that it is finally working. It's unfortunate that you had to go thru all of that to get it to work. One thing you could've tried, or can try if you get the blinking red or green 3G light again is do a reset (not a power cycle). There is a reset hole on the back of the unit. Just hold in the button for at least 30 seconds and then release. Sometimes when an update is sent, the unit doesn't properly reset itself and it thinks its a hardware failure (blinking red 3G light). Power cycling sort of resets the unit but sometimes you need to peform a hard reset to clear anything that may be corrupted in the flash ROM. Blinking green 3G is usually indicative of an activation issue, a port issue, an ISP config issue, router issue, AT&T server issue, etc. Bacially mulitple problems with the same symptom.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

94 of 118 (4,487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 10:38:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

My microcell would not keep a GPS signal.  A GPS signal is required in order for the unit to use your internet.

I called AT&T many times, replacing the micrcell unit once.  Finally I concluded that the internet connection was

good, this left the GPS connection.  AT&T help desk told me that the GPS connection had to exist for unit to function.

I live in a rural area.  My street name was changed for 911 reasons.  I went into a 'Get direction' online.

When I entered my address, it was not found.  When I entered by address with old street name, it was found.

I then went into my AT&T profile for Microcell equipment, found the address I had entered when setting up the

Microcell, and found that it contained my new street name.  I changed the street name to the old (prior street name).

After 24 hours, my unit was reconnected and the unit has kept connection now for a month.  I hope this is helpful.

Bottom line is;  GPS does not always get updated when a location  is changed.

My microcell would not keep a GPS signal.  A GPS signal is required in order for the unit to use your internet.

I called AT&T many times, replacing the micrcell unit once.  Finally I concluded that the internet connection was

good, this left the GPS connection.  AT&T help desk told me that the GPS connection had to exist for unit to function.

I live in a rural area.  My street name was changed for 911 reasons.  I went into a 'Get direction' online.

When I entered my address, it was not found.  When I entered by address with old street name, it was found.

I then went into my AT&T profile for Microcell equipment, found the address I had entered when setting up the

Microcell, and found that it contained my new street name.  I changed the street name to the old (prior street name).

After 24 hours, my unit was reconnected and the unit has kept connection now for a month.  I hope this is helpful.

Bottom line is;  GPS does not always get updated when a location  is changed.

Re: 3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing ** Might Know The Problem! Pls answer 4 simple questions!

95 of 118 (3,812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 12:44:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That is exactly right, especially in rural or new areas. The correct GPS coordinates are needed for E911 and to confirm that you are in an AT&T service area based on tower location. The AT&T locational database doesn't always get updated for areas until there is a question, and then it may take some time. There have been instances where someone has used a neighbors address just to get GPS confirmation before activation could complete.

That is exactly right, especially in rural or new areas. The correct GPS coordinates are needed for E911 and to confirm that you are in an AT&T service area based on tower location. The AT&T locational database doesn't always get updated for areas until there is a question, and then it may take some time. There have been instances where someone has used a neighbors address just to get GPS confirmation before activation could complete.

Re: 3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing ** Might Know The Problem! Pls answer 4 simple questions!

96 of 118 (3,803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 6:55:42 PM
(0)
Explorer

funny how many yrs ago this post and still the same issues.. mine works today with a flashing red light.. still works but every night around 2 to 4 am goes to flashing green and wont come back untill power cycled.... 3 months or calling still no resolve

funny how many yrs ago this post and still the same issues.. mine works today with a flashing red light.. still works but every night around 2 to 4 am goes to flashing green and wont come back untill power cycled.... 3 months or calling still no resolve

Re: 3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

97 of 118 (3,655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 10:28:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I've answered some of your other posts but a flashing green 3G light means you have lost connection to the AT&T servers or activation has failed. Again, how you have it setup, your ISP parameters, etc would be useful to know to help troubleshoot.

I've answered some of your other posts but a flashing green 3G light means you have lost connection to the AT&T servers or activation has failed. Again, how you have it setup, your ISP parameters, etc would be useful to know to help troubleshoot.

98 of 118 (3,643 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2013 8:02:43 PM
(0)
Explorer

thats what i insist it can from what i understand and have seen happen right in front of me when i lose internet .it has to reconnect.. the issue is when it disconnects just as everyone else is documenting at night it needs to be re booted to work.. not my internet... the funny thing is after a 3 hour talk today..  about the fact my phone didnt disconnect last evening with the flashing red light.. was told cisco knows that the microcell works with a flashing red light.. they wanted to update my microcell.. i refused.. because this has been going on for 3 months everynight with no resolve whenb the "microcell it working  correctly"  but blame the disconnecting and needing reboot on my ISP.. funny how i havent had to do that with the flashing red light.. logically this is an AT&T network.. Cisco.. microcell issue.. My ISP didnt change but that light did.. ADD the facts up.. We shall see what happens tonight at 2 to 4 .. if it doesn loose service.. Bingo... ball in your court

thats what i insist it can from what i understand and have seen happen right in front of me when i lose internet .it has to reconnect.. the issue is when it disconnects just as everyone else is documenting at night it needs to be re booted to work.. not my internet... the funny thing is after a 3 hour talk today..  about the fact my phone didnt disconnect last evening with the flashing red light.. was told cisco knows that the microcell works with a flashing red light.. they wanted to update my microcell.. i refused.. because this has been going on for 3 months everynight with no resolve whenb the "microcell it working  correctly"  but blame the disconnecting and needing reboot on my ISP.. funny how i havent had to do that with the flashing red light.. logically this is an AT&T network.. Cisco.. microcell issue.. My ISP didnt change but that light did.. ADD the facts up.. We shall see what happens tonight at 2 to 4 .. if it doesn loose service.. Bingo... ball in your court

99 of 118 (3,619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2013 10:24:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's what the flasning red 3G light means, either a hardware failure or some update by AT&T that didn't complete correctly. You still may be able to connect but the MicroCell is telling you that something is wrong.You still haven't told us how you have you MicroCell setup, if your bought it new, etc. If AT&T pushes an update to your MicroCell it usually requires the MicroCell to reboot, just like an update on your computer. Sometimes, the reboot gets hungup, doesn't complete correctly, and you get the flashing red 3G light. But, AT&T doesn't push an update everynight. If your MicroCell fails on a regular basis during the same time frame every night, I'd suspect that your ISP is performing some sort of maintnenace or your experiencing some sort of power fluctuation that causes your MicroCell to reboot incompletely.

That's what the flasning red 3G light means, either a hardware failure or some update by AT&T that didn't complete correctly. You still may be able to connect but the MicroCell is telling you that something is wrong.You still haven't told us how you have you MicroCell setup, if your bought it new, etc. If AT&T pushes an update to your MicroCell it usually requires the MicroCell to reboot, just like an update on your computer. Sometimes, the reboot gets hungup, doesn't complete correctly, and you get the flashing red 3G light. But, AT&T doesn't push an update everynight. If your MicroCell fails on a regular basis during the same time frame every night, I'd suspect that your ISP is performing some sort of maintnenace or your experiencing some sort of power fluctuation that causes your MicroCell to reboot incompletely.

100 of 118 (3,608 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2013 4:29:52 PM
(0)
Voyager

I found a fix for my flashing red light. You might try this.

3 months ago came in to notice my microcell that was working perfectly for almost a year was flashing red bars. So i unplugged and it rebooted to all flashing green bars but still no connection. Tried this several time before finally calling att to inform them of the problem. They suggested unplugging again but to no avail. They decided the microcell was defected and sent me a brand new one. Great its working again everything is fine. 3 weeks later there it is again, the dreaded flashing red bars. This time I think it can not be another defective microcell so as I work in computers I decide to figure it out by myself. My microcell is plugged into a router that is connected to cable modem. Log into your router. Its different for each manufacturer of router. Check the web to get the IP address to log into your router. mine is 192.168. 1. 0. Log in to the router and check the DHCP settings. Make sure the STATIC DHCP button is ENABLED. As soon as this was checked the microcell worked with no proble. Why this button became disabled is unknown. My router is a D-Link FYI. Hope this helps some people.

I found a fix for my flashing red light. You might try this.

3 months ago came in to notice my microcell that was working perfectly for almost a year was flashing red bars. So i unplugged and it rebooted to all flashing green bars but still no connection. Tried this several time before finally calling att to inform them of the problem. They suggested unplugging again but to no avail. They decided the microcell was defected and sent me a brand new one. Great its working again everything is fine. 3 weeks later there it is again, the dreaded flashing red bars. This time I think it can not be another defective microcell so as I work in computers I decide to figure it out by myself. My microcell is plugged into a router that is connected to cable modem. Log into your router. Its different for each manufacturer of router. Check the web to get the IP address to log into your router. mine is 192.168. 1. 0. Log in to the router and check the DHCP settings. Make sure the STATIC DHCP button is ENABLED. As soon as this was checked the microcell worked with no proble. Why this button became disabled is unknown. My router is a D-Link FYI. Hope this helps some people.

101 of 118 (3,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2013 10:02:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

What you are doing is assigning a static IP address to your MicroCell, which is a good thing. However, if you lose power, you may have to assign it all over again. What I do is establish port forwarding (using the ports that AT&T requires) and then set a static IP address based on the MAC address of the MicroCell. That way, if you ever have a power failure or something else, the MicroCell will always get the same IP address assigned.You shouldn't have to do that but I've found that it makes for a very stable connection.

BTW, a flashing red 3G is an indicator that something is wrong. You may still be able to use the MicroCell but you may want to consider a re-boot to see if that clears up what ever the issue is.

What you are doing is assigning a static IP address to your MicroCell, which is a good thing. However, if you lose power, you may have to assign it all over again. What I do is establish port forwarding (using the ports that AT&T requires) and then set a static IP address based on the MAC address of the MicroCell. That way, if you ever have a power failure or something else, the MicroCell will always get the same IP address assigned.You shouldn't have to do that but I've found that it makes for a very stable connection.

BTW, a flashing red 3G is an indicator that something is wrong. You may still be able to use the MicroCell but you may want to consider a re-boot to see if that clears up what ever the issue is.

102 of 118 (3,515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 10:13:04 AM
(0)
Voyager

I had to sign up for the forum and post this because everyone was very helpful in resolving the issue I had with the blinking red 3g light, but none of the solutions worked to actually solve the issue I was having and like others I was left with the same problem after trying everything so I would like to share what worked for me.The trick is to put your microcell's MAC address into your routers dmz. It turned out for me that the firewall was blocking some of the packets that the unit was sending. I have comcast and some of the more advanced settings such as block fragmented packets aren't available on the gateway/router combo so this step just bypasses any possibility that the packets are getting blocked. The DMZ (demilitarized zone) feature allows the device placed there to communicate unhindered by the devices firewall and fixed my issue perfectly. Hope this effort helps at least some of you with this very annoying issue. Good luck!

I had to sign up for the forum and post this because everyone was very helpful in resolving the issue I had with the blinking red 3g light, but none of the solutions worked to actually solve the issue I was having and like others I was left with the same problem after trying everything so I would like to share what worked for me.The trick is to put your microcell's MAC address into your routers dmz. It turned out for me that the firewall was blocking some of the packets that the unit was sending. I have comcast and some of the more advanced settings such as block fragmented packets aren't available on the gateway/router combo so this step just bypasses any possibility that the packets are getting blocked. The DMZ (demilitarized zone) feature allows the device placed there to communicate unhindered by the devices firewall and fixed my issue perfectly. Hope this effort helps at least some of you with this very annoying issue. Good luck!

103 of 118 (3,447 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 10:52:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

rpkamins, I'm curious when you said you tried everything else does that include a static IP address and forwarding the required ports?

rpkamins, I'm curious when you said you tried everything else does that include a static IP address and forwarding the required ports?

104 of 118 (3,438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 11:06:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Edited by Avedis53 on Aug 25, 2013 at 11:07:23 AM

@ Otto,

In my experience, practically all routers maintain assigned static IP addresses as well as port forwarding settings and all other user assigned settings in flash memory, but it's a good idea to check your router's admin pages after a power loss to verify that there have been no changes.

@ Otto,

In my experience, practically all routers maintain assigned static IP addresses as well as port forwarding settings and all other user assigned settings in flash memory, but it's a good idea to check your router's admin pages after a power loss to verify that there have been no changes.

[ Edited ]
105 of 118 (3,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 11:24:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Agreed. That's why when I port forward I assign the ip address to the MicroCell's MAC address. That's sort of my insurance that if something gets scrambled in the DHCP table the correct ports/address will get forwarded if the MAC address is detected.

Agreed. That's why when I port forward I assign the ip address to the MicroCell's MAC address. That's sort of my insurance that if something gets scrambled in the DHCP table the correct ports/address will get forwarded if the MAC address is detected.

106 of 118 (3,429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 11:26:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

@rpkamins - using the DMZ is mentioned in the MicroCell Guide posted above as a sticky.

@rpkamins - using the DMZ is mentioned in the MicroCell Guide posted above as a sticky.

107 of 118 (3,423 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 3:31:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you for your support manual. After 3 years, my microcell finally works and works well.  I have a q1000 modem on centurylink. Just needed to put the IP address in the DMZ on router, did a hard reset along with new activation and it works great.  Using an Iphone 5 with latest OS. 

Thank you for your support manual. After 3 years, my microcell finally works and works well.  I have a q1000 modem on centurylink. Just needed to put the IP address in the DMZ on router, did a hard reset along with new activation and it works great.  Using an Iphone 5 with latest OS. 

Finally it works!

108 of 118 (2,228 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 3:57:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You're welcome. I periodically update it so check back every now and then to see what's new.

You're welcome. I periodically update it so check back every now and then to see what's new.

Re: Finally it works!

109 of 118 (2,226 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2014 7:16:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Another happy customer!

Another happy customer!

Re: Finally it works!

110 of 118 (2,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2014 10:11:19 AM
(0)
Contributor
Thank you, overclockedpc!!! This worked! I was so frustrated. I have to admit, I was on the verge of giving up and very skeptical. This did the trick!
Thank you, overclockedpc!!! This worked! I was so frustrated. I have to admit, I was on the verge of giving up and very skeptical. This did the trick!

111 of 118 (1,934 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2014 6:45:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Witout having to go thru the entire thread, what did overclockpc recommend that resolved your blinking red 3G light? Was it a hard reset (which is in the Tech Guide)?

Witout having to go thru the entire thread, what did overclockpc recommend that resolved your blinking red 3G light? Was it a hard reset (which is in the Tech Guide)?

112 of 118 (1,918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2014 7:21:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

No, he recommended unplugging the Ethernet cable with the power on, power cycling the Mcell, then plugging the Ethernet cable back in and then power cycling the Mcell again.

No, he recommended unplugging the Ethernet cable with the power on, power cycling the Mcell, then plugging the Ethernet cable back in and then power cycling the Mcell again.

113 of 118 (1,914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2014 11:18:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Really? Bad ethernet port?

Really? Bad ethernet port?

114 of 118 (1,895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2014 11:29:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

I don't think the port was bad.  The procedure might have reset something in the Mcell though....

I don't think the port was bad.  The procedure might have reset something in the Mcell though....

115 of 118 (1,891 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2014 11:38:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I would've thought a hard reset would have done that but maybe not. If it is the MicroCell I wonder how long it will stay "fixed".

I would've thought a hard reset would have done that but maybe not. If it is the MicroCell I wonder how long it will stay "fixed".

116 of 118 (1,889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2014 6:24:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

I tried this procedure as well as all the reset attempts with ATT over the past 4 days.  Nothing works.  They sent me a replacement microcell.  Just as it was activating, it received an update (firmware?, software?) and immediately failed with exactly the same error.  The NETWORK indicator (the one with the bars for signal strength) is flashing red and I get a text message sent to my cell phone indicating that the GPS location does not correspond to the device location.

The original MC was working fine for almost a year.  Nothing on my end changed until a week ago Saturday when the first location error (described above) was sent to my mobile phone just as the device failed.  Then each reactivation attempt led to the same result. Then I received the replacement MC and went thru the whole process again.  I can't believe how many HOURS I've invested as I laboriously try to march up the ATT ladder to folks who are competetent to fix this.  Now they are blaming my DSL modem as a possible issue.  My position is this: Nothing on my end is failing to work EXCEPT the MC.  My web service to my pc and wireless devices is working fine and I have both wired and wireless connections.  If they changed firmware or software and now the MC doesn't work, they should send me a new MODEM that will work with their mods.

I tried this procedure as well as all the reset attempts with ATT over the past 4 days.  Nothing works.  They sent me a replacement microcell.  Just as it was activating, it received an update (firmware?, software?) and immediately failed with exactly the same error.  The NETWORK indicator (the one with the bars for signal strength) is flashing red and I get a text message sent to my cell phone indicating that the GPS location does not correspond to the device location.

The original MC was working fine for almost a year.  Nothing on my end changed until a week ago Saturday when the first location error (described above) was sent to my mobile phone just as the device failed.  Then each reactivation attempt led to the same result. Then I received the replacement MC and went thru the whole process again.  I can't believe how many HOURS I've invested as I laboriously try to march up the ATT ladder to folks who are competetent to fix this.  Now they are blaming my DSL modem as a possible issue.  My position is this: Nothing on my end is failing to work EXCEPT the MC.  My web service to my pc and wireless devices is working fine and I have both wired and wireless connections.  If they changed firmware or software and now the MC doesn't work, they should send me a new MODEM that will work with their mods.

117 of 118 (949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2014 7:09:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

There are some issues with the locational database that pops up from time to time. The flashing red 3G light either indicates a hardware failure or an update that didn't properly reset the MicroCell and now it "thinks" it's broken. Updates are pushed for various reasons and may be specific for a Service Area or a region. If the hard reset didn't work, you have no changes or updates on your end (either hardware or ISP), and a new MicroCell gives the same symptoms, then something is amiss with the locational database in that it can't match your GPS coordinates with your physical address. That's an IT issue and something that rarely can be fixed at the support level.

Keep in mind that your internet can be fine but VoIP is something different in that the MicroCell must maintain a secure VPN connection to the mobility servers at all times.

This is a holiday weekend so not much will be done until Tuesday. I would send a pm to CustomerCare (link in my sig) detailing your issue, reference any trouble ticket number, your account information, what you have done to correct it, and your location.  I'll follow-up with the Admins on Tuesday.

There are some issues with the locational database that pops up from time to time. The flashing red 3G light either indicates a hardware failure or an update that didn't properly reset the MicroCell and now it "thinks" it's broken. Updates are pushed for various reasons and may be specific for a Service Area or a region. If the hard reset didn't work, you have no changes or updates on your end (either hardware or ISP), and a new MicroCell gives the same symptoms, then something is amiss with the locational database in that it can't match your GPS coordinates with your physical address. That's an IT issue and something that rarely can be fixed at the support level.

Keep in mind that your internet can be fine but VoIP is something different in that the MicroCell must maintain a secure VPN connection to the mobility servers at all times.

This is a holiday weekend so not much will be done until Tuesday. I would send a pm to CustomerCare (link in my sig) detailing your issue, reference any trouble ticket number, your account information, what you have done to correct it, and your location.  I'll follow-up with the Admins on Tuesday.

118 of 118 (944 Views)