3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

Contributor

3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

My GPS, Ethernet, and power light are on with a solid green. My 3G light is a solid red that flashes every three seconds. I use a Netgear router/modem; honestly, I'm not sure what a modem or router looks like but I plugged the microcell's ethernet into the Netgear. I've tried disconnecting then reactivating the microcell. No luck.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue would be awesome. I live in the countryside where cell phone reception is severely limited. Thanks!

Message 1 of 121 (60,875 Views)
Teacher

Re: 3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

It states right in the user guide a red flashing 3G light may be a device issue. Sounds like it is broken.
Message 2 of 121 (55,830 Views)
Employee

There is a"unknown"issue causing this.not sure why yet as a lot odd people had this happen last week
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 121 (55,741 Views)
ACE - Master

Kimen wrote:
It states right in the user guide a red flashing 3G light may be a device issue. Sounds like it is broken.

Not necessarily. If AT&T updates the MicroCell (and this is usually done in the middle of the night without advanced notice or reason), and there is a problem re-connecting, the 3G light will start blinking red because the update either failed or the MicroCell thinks it has because of no connection. That happened to me a couple of weeks ago and a quick power cycle of my modem/router/ MicroCell resolved the blinking red light and I was back up and running in under 10 minutes.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 121 (55,719 Views)
Contributor

My GPS light has been blinking red for several days now. Yet the Microcell seems to be working fine. Do I need to do anything to get the light solid green as it should be or should I not bother myself since the phone seems to be connecting to the Microcell?

Message 5 of 121 (55,557 Views)
Contributor

my microcell is a solid red and I don't remember it being that way
Message 6 of 121 (55,541 Views)
ACE - Master

damomics wrote:
my microcell is a solid red and I don't remember it being that way

AT&T probably attempted an update (usually done in the middle of the night) that either didn't go well or after the update the MicroCell didn't properly reset itself so it thinks the update failed. Power cycle and see if that corrects it. When my 3G started blinking red I just power cycled everything and was back up and running with solid green all the way down in about 10 minutes. What was odd though is that even with a red blinking 3G light, I still had a solid connection.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 121 (55,513 Views)
Contributor

Same issue here.  The microcell worked fine for well over a year and then suddenly I started getting the red blinking 3G light a few weeks ago, right around the time others started reporting the same issue.  Seems pretty obvious that AT&T pushed some kind of software update to the microcell that didn't go very well.  Hopefully they'll figure it out and push another update to correct it.

Message 8 of 121 (55,446 Views)
Contributor

I power cycled down and restarted and also was able to get a green light again. However within an hour or so it goes red again. I thought it might be my wireless router so I bought a new one and that did not make a difference. Everything on my phones and Micro Cell indicate that I should not be able to make a phone call yet we are able to do so. We will let the light blink red and just keep using the phones I guess.

Message 9 of 121 (55,310 Views)
Contributor

I am having the same issue.

I wake up, red flashing light, I power cycle everything, get a green light, and within hours right back to flashing red.

Anyone know anything new or further about this issue?

Thanks in advance

Message 10 of 121 (53,974 Views)
ACE - Master

If you've power cycled and let it sit unpowered for about 5 minutes and still can't get a solid green 3G, then the update is causing the MicroCell to think there's a hardware failure because it can't reset itself. There is a reset button just above the power cord connector on the back. Try pressing that for about 30 seconds or whatever the instructions say to reset it.

Message 11 of 121 (53,660 Views)

Does anyone consider this to be a long term solution?  Yes, resetting the Microcell fixes the blinking red 3G led, for some time but it is not a lasting fix.  I have to reset my device nearly every day.  Today, I have reset it twice.  Is there no better fix than this?

I am disturbed that AT&T is not supporting this product  better than this.

Message 12 of 121 (53,260 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

No. I don't think that resetting everyday is considered a long term solution but it may be the only workaround for some. If you haven't done so already I'd check your setup, ISP, etc. You may just have a defective MicroCell that just can't properly reset itself either after an update by AT&T or something that your ISP has done. If you're still under warranty, document your issues with support and then get approval to go down to your local corporate AT&T store and get a replacement. The support, or total lack of by AT&T, has been an ongoing issue since they were first introduced. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Message 13 of 121 (53,234 Views)

[ Edited ]

I also have had the flashing 3g light problem for a while and I MAY have come up with some kind of fix but need someone to help me test it. 

So, if your microcell is flahing a red 3g light, please try the following and let me know what happens.

1) With the microcell flashing red, unplug the ethernet cable while leaving power plugged in.

2) Wait 2 mnutes, unplug power cable.(whileethernet is unplugged).

3) Wait 30 seconds, plug power cable in with ethernet cable unplugged.

4) Wait 2 minutes, plug in ethernet cable. (while microcell is powered on)

5) Wait 2 minutes, unplug power cable (leaving ethernet plugged in).

6) Wait 30 seconds, plug in power cable. (with ethernet cable plugged in).

This should clear the red 3g light.  If it does not, try power cycling again (unplug power, wait 30 seconds and plug back in).

If anyone is dealing with the red 3g light issue and can try this, please report back and let us know if it works or not.  AT&T support is clueless on this issue, but maybe we can help each other find a solution.

Thanks for everyone's help in testing this.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 14 of 121 (52,508 Views)
Contributor

We have 2 microcell's in 2 different houses in different cities, and within days both have switched from green 3G to red.  Just Still  have microcell service.  Can't figure it out and seems nobody knows why either.  Can't believe 2 would become defective at same time. 

Message 15 of 121 (52,481 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.