What is happening with 3G?
jpenaflorida's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, December 17th, 2011 3:32 AM

3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

My GPS, Ethernet, and power light are on with a solid green. My 3G light is a solid red that flashes every three seconds. I use a Netgear router/modem; honestly, I'm not sure what a modem or router looks like but I plugged the microcell's ethernet into the Netgear. I've tried disconnecting then reactivating the microcell. No luck.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue would be awesome. I live in the countryside where cell phone reception is severely limited. Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Thank you, overclockedpc!!! This worked! I was so frustrated. I have to admit, I was on the verge of giving up and very skeptical. This did the trick!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Witout having to go thru the entire thread, what did overclockpc recommend that resolved your blinking red 3G light? Was it a hard reset (which is in the Tech Guide)?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

No, he recommended unplugging the Ethernet cable with the power on, power cycling the Mcell, then plugging the Ethernet cable back in and then power cycling the Mcell again.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Really? Bad ethernet port?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

I don't think the port was bad.  The procedure might have reset something in the Mcell though....

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

I would've thought a hard reset would have done that but maybe not. If it is the MicroCell I wonder how long it will stay "fixed".

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I tried this procedure as well as all the reset attempts with ATT over the past 4 days.  Nothing works.  They sent me a replacement microcell.  Just as it was activating, it received an update (firmware?, software?) and immediately failed with exactly the same error.  The NETWORK indicator (the one with the bars for signal strength) is flashing red and I get a text message sent to my cell phone indicating that the GPS location does not correspond to the device location.

The original MC was working fine for almost a year.  Nothing on my end changed until a week ago Saturday when the first location error (described above) was sent to my mobile phone just as the device failed.  Then each reactivation attempt led to the same result. Then I received the replacement MC and went thru the whole process again.  I can't believe how many HOURS I've invested as I laboriously try to march up the ATT ladder to folks who are competetent to fix this.  Now they are blaming my DSL modem as a possible issue.  My position is this: Nothing on my end is failing to work EXCEPT the MC.  My web service to my pc and wireless devices is working fine and I have both wired and wireless connections.  If they changed firmware or software and now the MC doesn't work, they should send me a new MODEM that will work with their mods.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

There are some issues with the locational database that pops up from time to time. The flashing red 3G light either indicates a hardware failure or an update that didn't properly reset the MicroCell and now it "thinks" it's broken. Updates are pushed for various reasons and may be specific for a Service Area or a region. If the hard reset didn't work, you have no changes or updates on your end (either hardware or ISP), and a new MicroCell gives the same symptoms, then something is amiss with the locational database in that it can't match your GPS coordinates with your physical address. That's an IT issue and something that rarely can be fixed at the support level.

Keep in mind that your internet can be fine but VoIP is something different in that the MicroCell must maintain a secure VPN connection to the mobility servers at all times.

This is a holiday weekend so not much will be done until Tuesday. I would send a pm to CustomerCare (link in my sig) detailing your issue, reference any trouble ticket number, your account information, what you have done to correct it, and your location.  I'll follow-up with the Admins on Tuesday.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

Uhh....this information is already available in Otto's Tech Guide for the Mcell. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Thank you!!!! This just worked for me on 12/8/16. I troubleshooted on the phone with ATT yesterday and they could not get it to re-activate. They said they would need to send me a NEW Microcell which they have done. I tried your fix this morning and it worked like a charm. Now I have another new Microcell on its way to my house. How come ATT does not know about this fix. Crazy!?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.