What is happening with 3G?
jpenaflorida's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, December 17th, 2011 3:32 AM

3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

My GPS, Ethernet, and power light are on with a solid green. My 3G light is a solid red that flashes every three seconds. I use a Netgear router/modem; honestly, I'm not sure what a modem or router looks like but I plugged the microcell's ethernet into the Netgear. I've tried disconnecting then reactivating the microcell. No luck.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue would be awesome. I live in the countryside where cell phone reception is severely limited. Thanks!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

My Mcell has been going to a red flashing 3G light every day even with power cycling it. Sometimes my phone will continue to connect to it even when the light is red.

One thing that I didn't think would be related but I have an ipv6 tunnel setup thru my router. I'm guessing I need to update my addresses as I started having issues with it last night. Since I haven't had time to do so I've got ipv6 disabled. My Mcell went green when my Internet came back last night and was green when I got home tonight as well. I will do some more experimenting later this week and see if my ipv6 settings were in fact the cause of my Mcell issues.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Microcell was flashing red about initial setup and operational for two hours. After trying all methods to reset and re-activate I gave up and returned the device to the local AT&T store. The second device did the same thing and online customer service was a JOKE. The kindly told me that the GPS location would not verify my registered location and they would call me in the future if a fix was possible. This is a poor product design with poor support. I am going to return the second MC. Sincerely, Frustrated User

Mentor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Mine continues to have this issue.  Every morning I have no service and must reset Microcell.  It takes on average 30 minutes every morning for this process.  As I am typing, the 3G light is currently flashing red and I still have service and service is as usuable as it typically is, which is decent.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I read somewhere on this page to unplug it over night so it will clear all settings. Then i plugged it in the next morning and in ten min or less the light was solid!! Thanks to who ever posted it first! I tried everything else possible and now im hoping it stays wirking. I didnt have to reactivat. I think think stormy weather or power flash causes it. ??

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I am definitely NOT a tech.....Tried overclockedpc's fix to my flashing red 3G light.  So far, no connection.  Once I activated the MCell it worked great for about a month.  Then it started going "off-line" every couple of weeks.  Gradually it got to the point I powered off the MCell at least 3 times a week until last week.  After that the power offs haven't worked.  This is so frustrating.  If I'm lucky I have 1 bar inside my house.  When the MCell works I still don't have all bars, but at least I can receive calls and text. Wish there was a permanent fix.  If I switched phones to the newer Iphone 4 would it help?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

12 years ago

@chwilsontennis wrote:

I am definitely NOT a tech.....Tried overclockedpc's fix to my flashing red 3G light.  So far, no connection.  Once I activated the MCell it worked great for about a month.  Then it started going "off-line" every couple of weeks.  Gradually it got to the point I powered off the MCell at least 3 times a week until last week.  After that the power offs haven't worked.  This is so frustrating.  If I'm lucky I have 1 bar inside my house.  When the MCell works I still don't have all bars, but at least I can receive calls and text. Wish there was a permanent fix.  If I switched phones to the newer Iphone 4 would it help?

A newer iPhone probably won't make a difference. There are still issues with the iPhone that Apple, Cisco, and AT&T need to still work out.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I just received a microcell. Mine worked for about 10 minutes today (first day) then solid red light. Reset didn't work, power cycle didn't work, and the multi step recipe involving 2 minutes of wait time between some steps did not work either.

So what should I do? any helpful AT&T representatives reading this forum? or do they only intervene  when they need to moderate?

-Aurelio

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

12 years ago

It's possible that you received a defective MicroCell (as opposed to a crappy MicroCell). You may have to call support (not a pleasant experience) and jump thru the hoops. Hopefully they'll send you a replacement if you've set it up properly (no double NAT, etc).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

So, like many of you, I too woke up a couple mornings ago to MicroCell that had been work great now with a red flashing 3G light. I tried reset by unplugging and some of the recommends here. I tried AT&Ts support page recommendation which included restarting my router. After calling tech support and discussing the problem, we both came up with the same thought: reregister the MicroCell, which the tech did for me but you can do from the management page by deregistering the MicroCell and doing the registration over again. You'll need to rekeying everything. Bottom line, I'm up and running in under 90 minutes. And haven't had any issues. Hope this helps someone.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Here's my story:

I bought the MicroCell about a month ago. Everything seemed to go fine, but about once a week it gets the 3G light flashing red.  Power cycling it resolves the problem (after re-acquiring GPS etc) and returns me to green, but I'm gonna be pretty annoyed if I have to power cycle this thing every week. As to the questions:

1) Pittsburgh, PA

2) No idea

3) Been happening ~ once a week for a month.

4) Lasts about 4 days.

I finally called AT&T support today, and they "re-registered the MicroCell" for me, but told me that I might want to consider taking the unit back (since it's 28 days old) to swap it out for a new unit.  I'm somewhat concerned because the problem takes several days to manifest... I guess we'll see between now and tomorrow.

I'm sort of tempted to give up on this and just get a signal booster.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.