What is happening with 3G?
jpenaflorida's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, December 17th, 2011 3:32 AM

3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

My GPS, Ethernet, and power light are on with a solid green. My 3G light is a solid red that flashes every three seconds. I use a Netgear router/modem; honestly, I'm not sure what a modem or router looks like but I plugged the microcell's ethernet into the Netgear. I've tried disconnecting then reactivating the microcell. No luck.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue would be awesome. I live in the countryside where cell phone reception is severely limited. Thanks!

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

I have had it where the 3G light is flashing red and I still have a signal.  It usually fails after that.

Mine is currently solid green.

It lost its Internet signal, yesterday (the modem took a short break).  It flashed green (and I had no signal) for about 20 minutes and went solid green and I had a connection.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

BTW...  I woke up a flashing red light and no connection.  Turned off for 30 seconds before I left for work.  Green when I got home.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I have found the reason why my ATT microcell 3G bars blink red.  I am not sure if this is everybody's issue, but it certainly is mine.

If my microcell is connected to a Gigabit Ethernet (GbE or 1 GigE) network, i get the flashing 3G bars after a reboot.

If I connect to a 100 Mbit/s network, all is good.

I basically had to convert my gigait ethernet network to 100Mbit using a 100Mbit switch.

Hope this helps.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

So, I recently had same problem as everyone else > 3g red light flashing.  I reset both my router and modem and unplugged microcell.  For 24 hours after doing this, it worked.  Now, the 3g red light flash is back and NO MCELL!  My router is the Cisco E4200 and Modem is the Actiontech MI424.  I changed the MTU as referenced on line in an attempt to fix the problem.  No dice.  Is there a solution?  Or do I now own a door stop?

FWIW: I also am using the VZ network extender in my house as we are on VZ as well as at&t.  The VZ NW extender works and has worked from the begining.  So, I am no expert but the problem seems to be with Microcell. 

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

What is a VZ network extender and what does do?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

12 years ago

Verizon Network Extender is similar to the MicroCell but it works only on the VZ network and appears to be more reliable than the MicroCell.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Same concept as AT&T Microcell but used on Verizon network.  In my family, I am only one on VZ.  Wife/kids on AT&T.  My VZ extender has worked from the start.  Microcell, not so much.  Since my post, I reset modem/router twice and so far (since Sunday) I have MCell.  IDK, I hold my breath and check the front of the Microcell daily to ensure 3g is green.  

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Just waiting until the iPhone 5 is released so i can get off ATT and this microcell.  Wonder if VZ will throw in an extender to switch.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

spoke too soon.. back to flashing red 3g on microcell.  Is there a fix?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

12 years ago

I believe there's a little reset button (hole) on the back of the MicroCell. You might want to try that. I think you hold it in for 10 seconds but you may want to consult the instructions first just to make sure. For me, all I had to do was power cycle and the flashing red 3G light went back to green and has stayed there ever since. I think one of the reasons that VZs work better is that they are on a different technology which may make it more agreeable to signal booster/extenders than AT&T. Maybe less interference?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.