What is happening with 3G?
jpenaflorida's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, December 17th, 2011 3:32 AM

3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

My GPS, Ethernet, and power light are on with a solid green. My 3G light is a solid red that flashes every three seconds. I use a Netgear router/modem; honestly, I'm not sure what a modem or router looks like but I plugged the microcell's ethernet into the Netgear. I've tried disconnecting then reactivating the microcell. No luck.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue would be awesome. I live in the countryside where cell phone reception is severely limited. Thanks!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Red light means it has lost the GPS connection and best I can tell, you have to go back thru the registration process....

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

12 years ago

@GaMountainHiker wrote:
Red light means it has lost the GPS connection and best I can tell, you have to go back thru the registration process....

The blinking satellite logo means you have lost GPS, and it usually blinks green if it can't get a lock. A blinking red 3G means the MicroCell has a hardware failure, or an update (by AT&T) was attempted but failed and now the MicroCell thinks it's broken because it can't reset itself. This seems to be happening more and more with the updates that AT&T is performing in hopes of correcting other issues. However, not everyone has these issues. My MicorCell has not experienced the issues that have been, and are being, reported here. I think it's multiple issues based on your location in relationship to the towers, geography, location of the MicroCell,  your ISP, router configuration, and type of phone. Way too many variables to have it work successfully for everyone. Not a very well thought out product.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

@Otto Pylot wrote:
 I think it's multiple issues based on your location in relationship to the towers, geography, location of the MicroCell,  your ISP, router configuration, and type of phone. Way too many variables to have it work successfully for everyone. Not a very well thought out product.

Mine ran fine for a year, then all of a sudden, blinkin red 3G light.  I called tech support and they were of little help.  I took the unit to the store were I bought it and ended up buying a new one $200.  It started doing the same thing.  I talked to my ISP and replaced the modem and because of an issue with WiFi for the iPhones, I have replaced the router.

That being said, I tried the recipe that overclockedpc posted, and it seemed to have worked.

So, if your microcell is flahing a red 3g light, please try the following and let me know what happens.

1) With the microcell flashing red, unplug the ethernet cable while leaving power plugged in.

2) Wait 2 mnutes, unplug power cable.(whileethernet is unplugged).

3) Wait 30 seconds, plug power cable in with ethernet cable unplugged.

4) Wait 2 minutes, plug in ethernet cable. (while microcell is powered on)

5) Wait 2 minutes, unplug power cable (leaving ethernet plugged in).

6) Wait 30 seconds, plug in power cable. (with ethernet cable plugged in).

This should clear the red 3g light.  If it does not, try power cycling again (unplug power, wait 30 seconds and plug back in).

So we will see...

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Hi MC Users:

I am also experiencing this same issue where my MC is working fine and suddenly, the 3G LED goes from Green to RED Flashing but yet, stipp operational (able to make and recv voice calls and data is fine too).  I might know what the issue is but I need some answers from you before I can conclude. 

1. Your location/ State?  

2. Around what time does the MC goes into this Red flashing state? anytime or or early twilight hours? Please observe this if you can.

3. When did it start? Jan ..March.April 2012? 

4. How frequent does it happen? For instance, 3G LED is green then goes Flashing RED... you powercycle ..its back green ... then how soon after does it go flashing red again (but still operational)? 

IF YOU CAN ANSWER these 4 questions, I can tell you how to resolve it. But I need your help to get a consensus of what we are dealing with. 

Waiting on your replies! --- thank you! 

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

1. KY
2. Usually late at night
3. April 2012
4. At least daily. Sometime after it would flash, it would die.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

I tried to use it this morning and I had no service and a red flashing light.

Another datat point.

I'm just restarting.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for this information - very valuable as I consolidate the evidence. I just need a few more MC users with the same issue to answer the 4 questions. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

12 years ago

1. CA

2. Late at night

3. April 2012

4. Once only. A simple power cycle corrected it and it hasn't happened since.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Is it that the MC is flashing red and MC is still operational or not operational? This makes a big difference. I am looking for specific users whose MC 3g LED goes flashing red and still able to make calls. Anyone in this situation?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

12 years ago

My MicroCell is not flashing red and is operational. When the red light flashed, it was not operational. I don't the MicroCell will work if the 3G light is flashing red because that's an indicator of a hardware failure (either real or the inability to reset itself after an update).
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.