What is happening with 3G?
jpenaflorida's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, December 17th, 2011 3:32 AM

3G Microcell - 3G Red Light Flashing

My GPS, Ethernet, and power light are on with a solid green. My 3G light is a solid red that flashes every three seconds. I use a Netgear router/modem; honestly, I'm not sure what a modem or router looks like but I plugged the microcell's ethernet into the Netgear. I've tried disconnecting then reactivating the microcell. No luck.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue would be awesome. I live in the countryside where cell phone reception is severely limited. Thanks!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I am having the same issue.

I wake up, red flashing light, I power cycle everything, get a green light, and within hours right back to flashing red.

Anyone know anything new or further about this issue?

Thanks in advance

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

12 years ago

If you've power cycled and let it sit unpowered for about 5 minutes and still can't get a solid green 3G, then the update is causing the MicroCell to think there's a hardware failure because it can't reset itself. There is a reset button just above the power cord connector on the back. Try pressing that for about 30 seconds or whatever the instructions say to reset it.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Does anyone consider this to be a long term solution?  Yes, resetting the Microcell fixes the blinking red 3G led, for some time but it is not a lasting fix.  I have to reset my device nearly every day.  Today, I have reset it twice.  Is there no better fix than this?

I am disturbed that AT&T is not supporting this product  better than this.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

12 years ago

No. I don't think that resetting everyday is considered a long term solution but it may be the only workaround for some. If you haven't done so already I'd check your setup, ISP, etc. You may just have a defective MicroCell that just can't properly reset itself either after an update by AT&T or something that your ISP has done. If you're still under warranty, document your issues with support and then get approval to go down to your local corporate AT&T store and get a replacement. The support, or total lack of by AT&T, has been an ongoing issue since they were first introduced. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

I also have had the flashing 3g light problem for a while and I MAY have come up with some kind of fix but need someone to help me test it. 

So, if your microcell is flahing a red 3g light, please try the following and let me know what happens.

1) With the microcell flashing red, unplug the ethernet cable while leaving power plugged in.

2) Wait 2 mnutes, unplug power cable.(whileethernet is unplugged).

3) Wait 30 seconds, plug power cable in with ethernet cable unplugged.

4) Wait 2 minutes, plug in ethernet cable. (while microcell is powered on)

5) Wait 2 minutes, unplug power cable (leaving ethernet plugged in).

6) Wait 30 seconds, plug in power cable. (with ethernet cable plugged in).

This should clear the red 3g light.  If it does not, try power cycling again (unplug power, wait 30 seconds and plug back in).

If anyone is dealing with the red 3g light issue and can try this, please report back and let us know if it works or not.  AT&T support is clueless on this issue, but maybe we can help each other find a solution.

Thanks for everyone's help in testing this.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

We have 2 microcell's in 2 different houses in different cities, and within days both have switched from green 3G to red.  Just Still  have microcell service.  Can't figure it out and seems nobody knows why either.  Can't believe 2 would become defective at same time. 

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Well I tried your method...

I did it last night and it was flashing red this morning.  I disconnected power for 30 seconds, this morning (6 AM ish) and it is currently green. 

I am very interested in what can causes it to flash red, in the first place.  When my first one flashed red, I called tech support, as the owners manual stated.  Basically they told me it was broken.  I went to the AT&T store, where I bought it, and found out it had gone out of warranty a few weeks ago.  I then purchased a new microcell and it is doing the same thing.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

As far as I can tell, the red light is a general error light.  I think that light comes up anytime anything goes wrong with the Mcell (no internet connection, software update failure, etc.)

I've been trying to activate my microcell for the past week or so and I keep getting a "software update failed" message when I check the activation progress online.  AT&T still doesn't know what's wrong with it or how to fix it. 

I find it kind of distrubing that AT&T is selling products that we shouldn't have to buy in the first place, and then not having a clue as to how to fix them if something goes wrong.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

It's still green!  Let's see if it can last more than 24 hours.  I'll keep you updated.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Just bought the 3G MicroCell,  has not been able to establish a GPS signal even when I was standing beside it with a Garman GPS that said it saw 3 satilites and had a solid lock and location with in 20 feet.  After multiple calls, the techs said they "hard wired it to my location", ran for two days and failed over night.  Tech support started over at ground zero, CLUELESS of what had gone on before.  Device appears to be constantly checking GPS location, stupid, when it worked going over my DSL the service was very good.  When it fails the GPS check the device locks up with red light. 

They are now "getting back to me" which means they are trying to re-register it themselves(sends me an email-guess they have not figured out that it tells me how many times they are trying to register it).  Will give it another couple of days and if they cannot figure out how to make it work will take it back and get my money back.  Appears to be VERY bad design of software and hardware interface.  Since you have to give them your address, 911 needs that, constantly relocating itself is self defeating.  Guess if you have a storm and it loses GPS then you have to go back thru the re-registeration process, stupid design....

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.