What is happening with 3G?
djveit's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, November 2nd, 2015 10:23 PM

3G Microcell 3G Light Blinking

I have AT&T U-Verse for tv, internet, and landline. I have a black 3G microcell from AT&T for our cells. This morning I had to disconnect all of my equipment (U-Verse modem/router, U-Verse wireless gateway for wireless television receivers, and Microcell) to move in a new desk. All cables were properly disconnected and well out of the way while the desk was moved (no chance of pinched cables). I reconnected everything exactly as it was previously connected, same ethernet cables with same devices, same surge protector, etc. The microcell was working properly before power was disconnected, but since reconnection, the top green 3g light has not stopped blinking, all other lights are solid. My tv, internet, and landline are all working correctly so I do not think this has anything to do with my U-Verse service.

I have disconnected power to everything, reconnected modem/router first, connected wireless U-verse wireless gateway second, and lastly reconnected the microcell. Sadly I've had no results, and still have a green flashing 3g light on the. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

The VRAD distance was more of an academic question because we have seen MicroCell issues when the wrong type of VDSL gateway was installed, but the MicroCell worked before so.....

If you call the U-Verse folks they won't have a clue about the MicroCell and if you call the Mobility folks, they won't have a clue about U-Verse. Compartmentalized "knowledge".

Everyting worked just fine before the new desk was moved in and now everything works but the MicroCell (blinking green 3G light), and the setup is exactly the same as it was before the move, correct?

Cables aren't crimped and the connections are solid?

You performed a power cycle of your entire system?

You performed a hard reset of the MicroCell by turning off the power to the MicroCell, holding in the reset button, restored the power, and kept holding in the reset button for about 30 seconds?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

Have you tried a hard reset of the Mcell?  The recessed reset button is on the back of the Mcell.  You'll need a paper clip or something similiar to press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds after unplugging the Mcell.  Plug it back in and see if the Mcell reconnects properly.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Avedis53,

Before your reply I had not attempted the reset. I did as you instructed about 10 minutes ago, and still have a blinking 3g light. I know that when we have a power outage the microcell is back up in about 5 minutes, but I am aware it can take up to 30 minutes to connect. I will give it a while longer, but in the mean time do you have any more suggestions? Thank you so much for your help so far!

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

Please list the make and model of your two U-Verse pieces of hardware.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

The modem/router is an ARRIS NVG589, the WAP is a Cisco VEN501-AT

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

A hard reset makes the Mcell start over from scratch.  It typically takes up to 90 minutes for the Mcell to do its thing.

Another question, is your VEN-501 in bridge mode?  Since you have two routers with DHCP capabilities, if the VEN-501 is not in bridge mode, you could have a double NAT conflict and the Mcell doesn't play well with a double NAT network.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

Hmmm, disconnecting should have no effect on your MicroCell. When we remodeled, we had numerous planned power outages which included disconnecting cables, etc. Never a problem with my DPH-153 and the DPH-154.

Do you know how far you are from the VRAD (should be about 3000' to 5500')? NVG 589's are usually for a bonded pair. Maybe something happened with the provisioning of your line when the power was disconnected. The VEN 501 is a wireless access point for the transmittal of video and other applications. Have you connected the MicroCell directly to the 589?

Your blinking green 3G indicates that you do not have a connection to the AT&T Mobility Servers, as I'm sure you are well aware.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Otto,

I believe the VRAD is less than a 1/2 mile, don't know for sure. The microcell is connected directly to the 589, always has been. Is this something worth a call to tech support?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Yes to all of the above except the hard reset, I did not hold it after powering it back on. I will give this a shot. Also, can deactivating the microcell and reactivating have any effect in this situation?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

You really need to hold in the reset button while applying power because that clears all of the registers and memory. I wouldn't deactivate/reactivate just yet. Sometimes you need to wait a long time (maybe even a day) for the deactivation to get processed before you reactivate otherwise the system can get stuck between the two requests if done too quickly and generate error messages.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.