Explore & discover

Helpful Links

3G MicroCell quit working

Tutor

3G MicroCell quit working

I've had a 3G MicroCell for a few months now, and it's been working fine up until about a week ago. All of a sudden, I get solid green lights for power, ethernet, and GPS, but the 3G light is constantly flashing green. I have made no changes what so ever to my LAN. The modem is an Arris DGI670 on BrightHouse, in bridge mode connected to a Netgear 3700v2 router running DD-WRT. I have the MCell set on a static IP, and all ports in the manual forwarded appropriately (UDP - 123, 500, 4500, TCP - 443). I've tried deactivating the MCell and reactivating it numerous times now, to no avail. I'm always getting an activation error (FTC227 on the Activation progress page, Error 302 in text/email). Any ideas what my next step should be? I appreciate any help you may have, thanks!

Message 1 of 14
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by whill1219
‎08-10-2016 12:49 AM

Re: 3G MicroCell quit working

The flashing green 3G light usually indicates that you have lost connectivity to AT&T's Mobility Servers,  a failed update, or a hardware failure. I would try a hard reset. The instructions are in my Tech Guide (see link in my sig). It could be that an update was pushed during the maintenance window at night and the MicroCell failed to reset properly.

Connect the MicroCell directly to the modem which bypasses the router altogether. You should be able to connect to AT&T and stay connected because you have a direct connection to the internet. If you still have issues then you've ruled out the router (which is quite often the cause of a lost connection) and that just leaves Brighthouse or the MicroCell itself.

If this is a new MicroCell (the black DPH-154) it's doubtful that the ac adapter is failing. If you have the older white MicroCell, then I'd check the ac adapter with a voltmeter. It should read 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load.

Let us know how the hard reset or the alternate connection (MicroCell to modem) works and we'll take it from there.

MicroCell Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 14
Contributor

I have a similar issue. Want to try the hard reset you're talking about. How do you do it?
Message 3 of 14
ACE - Expert

The instructions are given in my Tech Guide (see link in my sig) along with other troubleshooting information.

Disable the power to the MicroCell. Take a paperclip and push in the reset button on the back of the MicroCell. Keep holding in the button, restore power, and hold the button in for about another 30 seconds. Release the button and the MicroCell will go thru the Initial Activation process (details are given in the Tech Guide). You don't need to do anything with your account. What you are doing is setting the MicroCell back to factory defaults which will clear out the memory and registers in case something got hung up and is causing issues.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 14
Tutor

I appreciate the info, Otto. Thanks. Whatever was going on seems to have fixed itself, as the MCell managed to activate while I was at work today. Thanks for the help, anyway.

Message 5 of 14
Voyager

OP Whill1219.. same situation here on Bright-house Orlando. Been using a M-cell since 2010... early last Saturday 3G flashing. Using the usual resolve remedies, nothing would get it back on-line. I have found Otto's guide helpful over the years as a great resource when the issues are local to the user's environment but this time I believed this was a network issue after exhausting all other resources. Proving it is tough even for someone (anyone) who might be technically knowledgeable. Using network trace tools I could see no communication on certain needed tcp/udp ports.

Contacting ISP BHN and AT&T resulted in pretty much no joy on these matters asking the technical nitty-gritty about blocking ports, down servers or regional changes to the network. So I enabled Wifi Calling on the wireless devices and left M-Cell off for a few days.  Last night I reconnected the M-Cell and it took just a few minutes and its back on line. Networking issues (likely maintenance changes) are pretty much nearly impossible for you to pinpoint let alone correct. And so it goes. But glad someone else out there confirmed a similar outage. 

Best,

Message 6 of 14
ACE - Expert

@mcoflorida - thanks for the post. It does seem that Brighthouse may  have had a maintenace hiccup so hopefully that's all it was.

Message 7 of 14
Voyager

This is more informational than needing help.. the black DPH-154 M_Cell went back off-line again today (in the wee-wee hours) location Orlando, FL Brighthouse-Net. It was up for almost a week solid. 

So if you are regional to my area this may save you time from trying to solve problems that frankly you cannot. This community forum is the only real good source when problems arise. So I thought I should post this.

Having needing an M-Cell for years in my dead-spot location, I may just retire this and go all in with Wifi-calling. Dealing with these outages of late is frustrating after so many years of reliable service and well.. you know.

Edit... the M-Cell just came back - cannot make this stuff up. And so it goes. 

Message 8 of 14
ACE - Expert

Being as you have the newest MicroCell (and I assume you were sent the correct ac adapter for the DPH-154) I'm thinking it still has something to do with BH. Not what you want to hear I'm sure but quite often when a working MicroCell just all of a sudden starts flashing the 3G light, it is due to something that has happened on the ISP/hardware side. It's possible that there is a MicroCell Service Area issue where you live but those usually get resolved  within a couple of weeks if not sooner. Severe weather can also be a factor in some regions. Again, that would be your ISP side of things.

WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is certainly an option if you have an iPhone 5SE or greater, or certain Android-based phones. Keep in mind that WiFi-C is a lot like the MicroCell in that it is designed to fill in coverage gaps. It is not meant to be a full-scale replacement for cellular calls (tower). It is also subject to any WiFi issues just like anyother WiFi device. WiFi-C, on the AT&T also uses two of the same four ports that the MicroCell uses to connect to AT&T.

Message 9 of 14
Tutor

Yeah, I'm close to you mcoflorida. I'm just outside of Daytona. I didn't notice a new outage since my M-Cell came back online, though. Seems to have been working like a dream ever since.

Message 10 of 14
Voyager

@OttoPylot yes I am quite convinced my ISP is where the issue(s) reside.

Noting TWC and BHN now fall under Charter Comm. who knows what they are doing on their infrastructure changes and conversions. 

In future I will only post a regional/location extended outage post - perhaps alerting other followers of this forum. Thanks

Message 11 of 14
Contributor

Almost the same problem, but it started when I upgraded my phone. The ATT system would not take my address for the new phone so the agent put the address for the ATT store in Santa Fe NM , against my better judgement I might add. Instantly micro cell went off line after working fine for 3 years. ATT tech support was unable to find a solution and went off on every tangent except listening to me that the problem was with the address. After hours talking to tech support I did my own research and found out that ATT used the Post Office data base and many people in New Mexico do NOT get mail at the street address. The solution is to add gps coords.  After several calls I got someone who said it is possible to add lat-  long  coords to the address.

Microcell came right up, and worked for 4 days. Now I have spent 3 days with tech calls asking me if the unit is plugged in and is it by a window and all that but no one seems to really have a clue. I have a business account with 4 lines and Wednesday I am returning the Samsung S7 and cancelling my account if I do not get a level 2 tech or higher to get this fixed.

Message 12 of 14
Tutor

Ouch. Wish I could help you out, man. My Microcell has been mostly working fine since it came back online after the first outage. It goes out every once in a while, but I think either my router or my microcell's power supply may be starting to go bad.

Message 13 of 14
ACE - Expert

@whill1219 - to check your ac adapter check it with a voltmeter. It should read 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load.

Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support