3G Cycles to Red Light EVERY DAY!

Contributor

3G Cycles to Red Light EVERY DAY!

Every morning I have to cycle the unit by unplugging both sets of wires waiting 30 seconds and waiting for it to reaquire the signal.  Does drop from time to time durring the day as well.  I have solid GPS signal. The issue seems to be the network connection or 3G bars constatnly go to Red, sometimes blink, sometimes solid.

Since I have had this issue I ran cable so the network conection is coming directly from the DSL modem into the microcell and then out to my router. 

Seemed to work fine until December and this unit is driving me crazy!

I have also acivated and de activated the device? 

Any other suggestions or questions so I can help solve this issue?

In reading the forum it sounds like the unit or power brick may be an issue.  Should I just take it back to att?

Message 1 of 17 (7,928 Views)
Former Community Manager

Re: 3G Cycles to Red Light EVERY DAY!

The 3G MicroCell was designed to automatically confirm that it has the latest software version each time you power up so I don't think this would be a software update issue. 

I've responded to your PM, please take a look when you get a chance. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 17 (7,915 Views)
Mentor

I had this problem for awhile last winter and fixed it following someone's suggestion. Now it has started again. I wish I could find the post that helped me before. There was a particular sequence to follow of unplugging and plugging and unplugging again etc, etc.

Message 3 of 17 (7,623 Views)
Mentor
Solution
Accepted by jamileh (Former Community Manager)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Found it. Did it. Hope it works like it did last time.

So, if your microcell is flashing a red 3g light, please try the following and let me know what happens.

1) With the microcell flashing red, unplug the ethernet cable while leaving power plugged in.

2) Wait 2 minutes, unplug power cable.(while ethernet is unplugged).

3) Wait 30 seconds, plug power cable in with ethernet cable unplugged.

4) Wait 2 minutes, plug in ethernet cable. (while microcell is powered on)

5) Wait 2 minutes, unplug power cable (leaving ethernet plugged in).

6) Wait 30 seconds, plug in power cable. (with ethernet cable plugged in).

This should clear the red 3g light.  If it does not, try power cycling again (unplug power, wait 30 seconds and plug back in).

Message 4 of 17 (7,620 Views)
Former Community Manager

Interesting info! Let me know if this works for you. We can mark it as an accepted solution if it does. Smiley Happy

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 17 (7,617 Views)
Mentor

It worked...no red flashing light this morning. Solid green!

Message 6 of 17 (7,572 Views)
Former Community Manager

Great news and thanks for sharing your steps. I really appreciate it!

--------------

Message 7 of 17 (7,567 Views)
Contributor

Just so you know Ms. Community Manager, this solution only works for about a day, then its back to flashing red.  Do you actually have a permanent solution that you know of?  Or are people with this problem just basically screwed?

Message 8 of 17 (6,464 Views)
Mentor

Not true that it only works for a day. It has worked for months at a time for me. 

Message 9 of 17 (6,461 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem (http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/MicroCell-fix-kind-of-for-me-anyway/td-p/3339907) even though the GPS light is solid, i believe that IS the problem here........$6.00 for an external antenna, at the very least it will cut the reboot time, mine went from a 1 hour reboot to under 2 minutes......and before the external antenna i had the flashing lights EVERY morning and EVERY evening......not one time since.......6 bucks, try one,.......oh, and i did ALL that other stuff, the "unplug sequence" , the port forward, and a new microcell......none worked, antenna did.....that is all.....

Message 10 of 17 (6,459 Views)
Mentor

What kind of antenna and where did you get it.

Message 11 of 17 (6,455 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Search ebay.com for 3G-MicroCell-External-GPS-Antenna-for-DPH151

[removed link to product sales page]

Message 12 of 17 (6,452 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

25 foot cord allowed me to run it through the floor to a second story window and i duct taped it in there......

Message 13 of 17 (6,451 Views)
Former Community Manager

Gator Neil wrote:

Just so you know Ms. Community Manager, this solution only works for about a day, then its back to flashing red.  Do you actually have a permanent solution that you know of?  Or are people with this problem just basically screwed?

I'm sorry you're still having problems. This solution has helped quite a few folks, but looks like it didn't work for you.

You're welcome to send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. They'll set up a call direclty with you so we can help out.  

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

Message 14 of 17 (6,445 Views)
Teacher

Im not so sure ATTCustomerCare WILL help you out......i spent HOURS on the phone with them on MANY differant calls (all of them VERY nice) and even asked them about the antenna port on the back and why is it there and why did no antenna come with it and i was ASSURED that wasnt the problem.....even now, after i IGNORED them and fixed it myself , i call them back to tell them of this and they seem to not believe it or doubt me somehow........(my guess is they dont want to have to buy antennas for people but that would seem cheeper to me than all the phone time they spend on trying to fix them).........that being said, I LOVE THE MICROCELL!.....we have ZERO signal here without one and our phones would be useless......

Message 15 of 17 (6,439 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.