Explore & discover

Helpful Links

3G Cisco Microcell DPH-154

Highlighted

3G Cisco Microcell DPH-154

I have been using a Cisco DPH-154 Microcell for about 4 years with no problem.  It was CAT5 connected directly to my Xfinity Cable/Modem (running DOCSIS 3.0) ethernet port.  I installed a new 3rd party gateway (Netgear CM1150V Cable/Modem) and connected the Microcell the same as before with an ethernet connection.  Now the Microcell will not register the internet signal from the new gateway.  I now have connected the Microcell directly into one of the internet ports on my Eero WiFi hub and the Microcell connects immediately and starts working.  However, I would prefer to run the Microcell directly from the new Netgear gateway.

My question is:  would the reason for no internet signal from the new Netgear gateway be that it runs the latest DOCSIS 3.1 instead of 3.0 which the Xfinity gateway was running?  Is it possible I need to change some setting on the new gateway or the Microcell?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 15
ACE - Sage

Re: 3G Cisco Microcell DPH-154

@OttoPylot  can confirm, but if I recall you have to re register the m-cell if you are using new hardware. 

https://forums.att.com/t5/Community-Blog/Help-My-MicrcoCell-Doesn-t-Work/ba-p/5125538

https://forums.att.com/cng/attachments/cng/3gmicrocell/14725/23/MicroCell%20Technical%20Guide%20v2-1...

Please note the m-cell is on its way out.  If possible connect your phones using Wifi calling.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 15

M-Cell

Thanks for that info, I'll try that.

I do have Wi-Fi Calling setup on my Galaxy S9 but the M-Cell always worked so well for me.

Thx again.

Sent from Xfinity Connect Application
Message 3 of 15
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎02-11-2019 12:10 PM

Re: M-Cell

@tralfamadore  - anytime you install a new router and/or gateway you need to check to make sure that it is setup to meet ALL of the MicroCell router requirements as given in my Tech Guide (see link in my sig line). A lot of routers come pre-configured with settings that are not compatible with the MicorCell's requirements so it is up to you to determine how to check and configure. AT&T Support, and us, can not help you because that is beyond what we are here for. Sounds harsh but we do not want to be responsible for messing around with a customer's  internet.

That being said, WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is what AT&T, and us recommend now as @lizdance40  mentioned. Long story short, sales of the MicroCell were discontinued at the end of 2017 because the MicroCell has reached its EOL. The service itself will be discontinued as well as soon as AT&T begins to phase out their 3G network, which is going to happen not too far in the future. If you have a phone that is WiFi-C capable on AT&T's network then I would suggest using that exclusively now and disable the MicroCell (power it off). If you attempt to use WiFi-C within range of a MicroCell that it is registered to you may encounter call quality issues because the MicroCell will have issues deciding which signal to connect to, the MicroCell's 3G signal or your WiFi signal. If you need to leave the MicroCell on, then it is advisable to place your phone in Airplane Mode to disable its cellular radio so your phone can connect to the MicroCell.

MicroCell Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 15

Thanks for the comprehensive info; I have decided to leave my setup as is, ie, M-Cell wired to my WiFi router which appears to work fine.  I'll use that until AT&T deletes it's 3G and then move on to WiFi-C.  Either works fine now, I don't seem to have call issues even though the phone is not in Airplane Mode.

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 15
ACE - Expert

@tralfamadore - yep. If it ain't broke, don't fix it Smiley Wink At least you have options and some answers.

Message 6 of 15
Tutor

I have a question, can a use a Cisco  - DPH-154 be used as a monitoring device via hooking it up to phone?  We are hearing feedback from the unit. 

Message 7 of 15
ACE - Expert

@WilmaN - not quite sure what you're trying to ask. There isn't any way to physically connect a MicroCell to a phone. Is it the MicroCell itself that is producing the noise? Where did you get the MicroCell and does it work? Have you been able to register/activate it?

Message 8 of 15
ACE - Sage

Wha? 🤔

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 9 of 15
Tutor

My question was we were hearing noise from the Microcell - like breathing,
that was why I was asking was there a way to have a phone monitor or listen
in using the Microcell
Message 10 of 15
ACE - Expert

@WilmaN - you didn't answer my questions. Where did you purchase the MicroCell and have you been able to register/activate it?

If the MicroCell is making noise, there's a problem. It should be whisper quiet. They can not be repaired so if you purchased it from someplace like eBay, then it was probably defective. The MicroCell is not like Google's Alexa, it cannot hear conversations if that's a concern ("breathing" sounds). There are no speakers or audio components inside the MicroCell.

The MicroCell reached its EOL at the end of 2017 so you should seriously consider switching to WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if your phone is capable.

Message 11 of 15
Tutor

Can the MC connect to WebEx recorders can you record everything that happens in a WebEx meeting; audio, video, chat conversations, notes, etc.

Message 12 of 15
ACE - Expert

@WilmaN - the MicroCell is for making/ receiving calls via VoIP protocols. It’s a small 3G tower that your phone connects to. For a WebEx session you’d call in on your cellphone. The MicroCell is just a bridge between your cellphone and the AT&T mobility servers when the in-home coverage is poor by using your internet connection. 

Message 13 of 15
Tutor

Thank you
Message 14 of 15
ACE - Expert

You're welcome.

Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support