setting up Linksys EA2700 router with Motorola 3360 modem

setting up Linksys EA2700 router with Motorola 3360 modem

To anyone, I have a friend whose old linksy router died.

He bought a new Linksys EA2700 router. If I connect the computer directly to the Motorola modem I can surf the web.

Can I set the Linksys EA2700 to use Automatic Configuratin DHCP?

The reason is that he lost his DSL network Password and I can't set the router to PPOE mode since I don't have his DSL network password. I heard that AT&T have two separate passwords.  See below. He has his account password but not the DSL Network one.

From June 13, 2010, the DSL Member ID password has been decoupled into two separate passwords. There will be an Account password (for AT&T email account portal) and a DSL Network password (to connect to the Internet).

The Account password will provide the customer access to email and online portal applications. The DSL Network password will be a system-generated password that will be used by the modem to authenticate and connect to the network.

How else would I make this work or is there a way to get the DSL network password from AT&T or from the modem?

Message 1 of 7 (914 Views)

Re: setting up Linksys EA2700 router with Motorola 3360 modem

etherburn2000 wrote:

To anyone, I have a friend whose old linksy router died.

He bought a new Linksys EA2700 router. If I connect the computer directly to the Motorola modem I can surf the web.

Can I set the Linksys EA2700 to use Automatic Configuratin DHCP?

The reason is that he lost his DSL network Password and I can't set the router to PPOE mode since I don't have his DSL network password. I heard that AT&T have two separate passwords.  See below. He has his account password but not the DSL Network one.

From June 13, 2010, the DSL Member ID password has been decoupled into two separate passwords. There will be an Account password (for AT&T email account portal) and a DSL Network password (to connect to the Internet).

The Account password will provide the customer access to email and online portal applications. The DSL Network password will be a system-generated password that will be used by the modem to authenticate and connect to the network.

How else would I make this work or is there a way to get the DSL network password from AT&T or from the modem?

Should work that way.

Set the 3360 to bridge mode or passthrough or you'll be double NATed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 7 (887 Views)

On the Motorola modem, can you tell me where the bridge mode or passthrough feature is located.

I know how to access the modem since I have the sticker on the bottom of the modem.

I just can find where those features are located in the Modem menu.

Message 3 of 7 (872 Views)

also for the Linksys 2700 router, can I just leave the IP address for the router as 192.168.1.1.

Its not going to conflict with the modem right.

Message 4 of 7 (869 Views)

etherburn2000 wrote:

On the Motorola modem, can you tell me where the bridge mode or passthrough feature is located.

I know how to access the modem since I have the sticker on the bottom of the modem.

I just can find where those features are located in the Modem menu.

also for the Linksys 2700 router, can I just leave the IP address for the router as 192.168.1.1.

Its not going to conflict with the modem right.

OK. Do not connect the 2700 to the 3360 until these steps are completed.

Login to the modem first. On the left hand menu,select Advanced then select Connection Configuration.

On the Connection Configuration page, down at the bottom, you'll see Let LAN device share Internet address? Select Yes, use public IP address.

Click the Save Changes button.

Disconnect your computer's network cable from the modem and connect it to a Lan port on the router.

On your router:

Set the connection type to DHCP or Dynamic.

Set the routers local address to 192.168.2.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

Set the routers DHCP server start address to 192.168.2.2 and set the end address so as to allow 2 or 3 addresses more than you'll need for all your devices. (So if you have 5 devices that need a connection set the end address to 192.168.2.8)

Configure the wireless and then log out of the router.

Now turn off the router and the modem and connect the router's WAN or Internet port to the modem. Turn on the modem, wait until the modem lights are all green, then turn on the router. You should be able to connect to the router now and get to the Internet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 5 of 7 (851 Views)

Thanks for your help. Your instructions totally worked.

Is the reason you had me set the IP address for the router to 192.168.2.1 instead of the default IP router address of 192.168.1.1 is because the Motorola modem is using the IP address of 192.168.1.254?

Message 6 of 7 (822 Views)
Highlighted

etherburn2000 wrote:

Thanks for your help. Your instructions totally worked.

Is the reason you had me set the IP address for the router to 192.168.2.1 instead of the default IP router address of 192.168.1.1 is because the Motorola modem is using the IP address of 192.168.1.254?

Yes. The Motorola's DHCP server is handing out addresses in the 192.168.1.* range, so changing the Linksys router to the 192.168.2.* subnet keeps it's DHCP server from conflicting with the Motorola, like trying to hand out the same address.

Glad I was able to help. Be sure to stop back if you have any other questions.

Message 7 of 7 (806 Views)