Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Sep 4, 2013
8:02:37 AM
question for BAUWLS..router behind a router..multiple xbox's strict NAT
Edited by Taylarie on Sep 4, 2013 at 9:01:48 AM

bawls,

I have seen you comment on some of the xbox posts.....with my U-verse 3800 series RG, it has been impossible to have multiple xbox's online with open NAT types...I can get one OPEN by port forwarding but the other xbox remains strict NAT and makes joining games and onlive XBOX chat impossible.....

I have tried placing the second xbox in DMZ plus mode, but the xbox will not connect to the xbox server after I have done this and I have to revert back to the standard firewall settings....and I then can get the second xbox to connect again but always strict.....

by reading some of your previous responses, it appears as if the only real option is to run a router behind a router, but there just isnt any info out there on what might be a good router to use for this 3rd party application, and where can some info be found for setting the AT&T RG up for a pass thru application....

I struggle with the basics, so I am not really IT tech savy, I would really like to help my son's out with this issue, with our old ADSL, this was never an issue, and even though I like our U-verse system, it has made their online gaming experience horrible....

any help. information, direction, advise....anything would be appreciated

slayerextreme

{Personal content removed for your safety}

bawls,

I have seen you comment on some of the xbox posts.....with my U-verse 3800 series RG, it has been impossible to have multiple xbox's online with open NAT types...I can get one OPEN by port forwarding but the other xbox remains strict NAT and makes joining games and onlive XBOX chat impossible.....

I have tried placing the second xbox in DMZ plus mode, but the xbox will not connect to the xbox server after I have done this and I have to revert back to the standard firewall settings....and I then can get the second xbox to connect again but always strict.....

by reading some of your previous responses, it appears as if the only real option is to run a router behind a router, but there just isnt any info out there on what might be a good router to use for this 3rd party application, and where can some info be found for setting the AT&T RG up for a pass thru application....

I struggle with the basics, so I am not really IT tech savy, I would really like to help my son's out with this issue, with our old ADSL, this was never an issue, and even though I like our U-verse system, it has made their online gaming experience horrible....

any help. information, direction, advise....anything would be appreciated

slayerextreme

{Personal content removed for your safety}

question for BAUWLS..router behind a router..multiple xbox's strict NAT

[ Edited ]
4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 9:14:21 AM
(0)
Voyager
wanted to add that both XBOX's are hard wired to the RG, ....and also wanted to add that the one xbox can be on with an open NAT, the second XBOX with the constant strict NAT, is sitting right beside my son's PS3 ...he can move the cable to the PS3 and it will have an open NAT...so I dont think its a hardware issue...just wanted to add this info
wanted to add that both XBOX's are hard wired to the RG, ....and also wanted to add that the one xbox can be on with an open NAT, the second XBOX with the constant strict NAT, is sitting right beside my son's PS3 ...he can move the cable to the PS3 and it will have an open NAT...so I dont think its a hardware issue...just wanted to add this info

Re: question for BAUWLS..router behind a router..multiple xbox's strict NAT

2 of 5 (286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 8:35:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Sep 5, 2013 at 8:36:53 AM

Port forwarding can work for exactly ONE device on any set of ports, so the one that is set up with port forwarding will show "open NAT" and any other that needs the same ports will not.  The PS3 uses a different set of ports from the XBOX.

You may be able to work around this problem by acquiring your own router with UPnP and placing it in a DMZplus zone and hooking your XBOXs to it.  See see post 2 in this thread.

Another alternative would be to purchase the static IP service from AT&T for an additional charge each month.  Then you can dedicate an external (static) IP address to each XBOX and forward ports to each of them.

Port forwarding can work for exactly ONE device on any set of ports, so the one that is set up with port forwarding will show "open NAT" and any other that needs the same ports will not.  The PS3 uses a different set of ports from the XBOX.

You may be able to work around this problem by acquiring your own router with UPnP and placing it in a DMZplus zone and hooking your XBOXs to it.  See see post 2 in this thread.

Another alternative would be to purchase the static IP service from AT&T for an additional charge each month.  Then you can dedicate an external (static) IP address to each XBOX and forward ports to each of them.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
3 of 5 (253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 9:00:20 AM
(0)
Voyager
where can I find the info for pricing and the process for ordering static IP's
where can I find the info for pricing and the process for ordering static IP's

4 of 5 (241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 11:28:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Good question.  I don't think you can do it online, so either call AT&T Technical Support at 800-288-2020 or you can try this AT&T logoCustomer Service link to send a Private Message (PM) to the AT&T customer service team to help you resolve your request. You can expect a reply via return PM (the blue envelope envelopein the upper right hand corner of this site) in a business day or three.

Good question.  I don't think you can do it online, so either call AT&T Technical Support at 800-288-2020 or you can try this AT&T logoCustomer Service link to send a Private Message (PM) to the AT&T customer service team to help you resolve your request. You can expect a reply via return PM (the blue envelope envelopein the upper right hand corner of this site) in a business day or three.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (227 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments