Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Highlighted
Posted Oct 26, 2013
6:44:19 AM
can't open email attachments in yahoo mail

I am unable to open attachments in AT&T/Yahoo! webmail. When I click the attachment, a "Save to my computer" button pops up. When I click that the file is scanned by Norton but nothing happens. It doesn't download to my downloads folder or anywhere else on my Mac. I have tried this on multiple email attachments and have no problem if I email it to my Gmail account and open it there. I am accessing Yahoo! webmail with the most recent update of Firefox.

I am unable to open attachments in AT&T/Yahoo! webmail. When I click the attachment, a "Save to my computer" button pops up. When I click that the file is scanned by Norton but nothing happens. It doesn't download to my downloads folder or anywhere else on my Mac. I have tried this on multiple email attachments and have no problem if I email it to my Gmail account and open it there. I am accessing Yahoo! webmail with the most recent update of Firefox.

can't open email attachments in yahoo mail

36 replies
(8) Me too
(8) Me too
View all replies
(36)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2013 6:50:14 AM
(0)
Tutor
I had Yahoo mail pinned to a tab. Opening another tab and reloading Yahoo mail into it solved the problem. I simply deleted the original tab and pinned the new one and all was well. I'd delete this entry but I can't seem to figure out how to do that.
I had Yahoo mail pinned to a tab. Opening another tab and reloading Yahoo mail into it solved the problem. I simply deleted the original tab and pinned the new one and all was well. I'd delete this entry but I can't seem to figure out how to do that.

Re: can't open email attachments in yahoo mail

2 of 37 (13,723 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2013 3:30:52 PM
(0)
Contributor

This is my problem as of 11-22-2013.  Never had attachment problems.  Now cant open them, either received or previously sent to others. 

Help please.  I dont know what is meant by a tab, so dont what is email pinned to a tab.  Maybe have this  situation.  What is a tab and how do you open another tab and reload yahoo mail into it. 

I need my attachments.  Thanks for any help you can give.

This is my problem as of 11-22-2013.  Never had attachment problems.  Now cant open them, either received or previously sent to others. 

Help please.  I dont know what is meant by a tab, so dont what is email pinned to a tab.  Maybe have this  situation.  What is a tab and how do you open another tab and reload yahoo mail into it. 

I need my attachments.  Thanks for any help you can give.

3 of 37 (13,285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2013 8:06:07 PM
(0)
Tutor
I have the same problem. .....need help to open my attachments
I have the same problem. .....need help to open my attachments

4 of 37 (13,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 3:46:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had the same problem on Chrome. Have not had an issue in the past. Changed to Internet Explorer and it allowed me to open the file.

I had the same problem on Chrome. Have not had an issue in the past. Changed to Internet Explorer and it allowed me to open the file.

5 of 37 (13,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 6:56:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

I aslo have been having problems and seems like hundreds of people also. 

I aslo have been having problems and seems like hundreds of people also. 

6 of 37 (13,129 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 4:43:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

I called AT&T tech support. I switched to Chrome and was able to open the attachments, but I still could not open them on Explorer. TS told me to download their remote control site. The rc site would not download. Tech support said she will transfer my call to the next higher support, but instead transferred me to a survey site...ugh.

I called AT&T tech support. I switched to Chrome and was able to open the attachments, but I still could not open them on Explorer. TS told me to download their remote control site. The rc site would not download. Tech support said she will transfer my call to the next higher support, but instead transferred me to a survey site...ugh.

7 of 37 (12,991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 11:51:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

I don't understand what you are talking about

I don't understand what you are talking about

8 of 37 (12,925 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 11:57:53 PM
(0)
Tutor
me too I think this is getting to be a big problem, I forwarded my email w/attachments to my gmail account and all worked fine. Maybe time to leave att for good

me too I think this is getting to be a big problem, I forwarded my email w/attachments to my gmail account and all worked fine. Maybe time to leave att for good

9 of 37 (12,925 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 5:45:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

I think the problem is Yahoo is trying to sell as a vendor "Norton Security", and when we try to open the attachments, the "com.specialoffers file" begins to scanning altought we don't have Norton. Since yesterday I have this problem, so I don't want to see the logo of Norton when I try to open the attachments.

Somebody could help please ?

I think the problem is Yahoo is trying to sell as a vendor "Norton Security", and when we try to open the attachments, the "com.specialoffers file" begins to scanning altought we don't have Norton. Since yesterday I have this problem, so I don't want to see the logo of Norton when I try to open the attachments.

Somebody could help please ?

10 of 37 (12,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 3:29:29 AM
(0)
Contributor

I started having this same problem over the weekend. Any help or advice would be appriciated. I've tried in both Firefox and Safari.

I started having this same problem over the weekend. Any help or advice would be appriciated. I've tried in both Firefox and Safari.

11 of 37 (12,139 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2013 10:49:24 AM
(0)
Teacher
You're right, this problem happens ONLY in Yahoo.....
You're right, this problem happens ONLY in Yahoo.....

12 of 37 (12,093 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 8:08:43 AM
(0)
Teacher

We have three days without having any solution from ATT-YAHOO, we can't open attachments in our E-Mails. I think it's a lack of respect to the public....WE NEED SOME ANSWER FROM ATT-YAHOO

We have three days without having any solution from ATT-YAHOO, we can't open attachments in our E-Mails. I think it's a lack of respect to the public....WE NEED SOME ANSWER FROM ATT-YAHOO

13 of 37 (12,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 8:27:42 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have been having the same problem, it started after the automatic update to IE11. I uninstalled the update (& unchecked the 'auto-update' box) & all worked fine. HOWEVER 2 days later I am having the same issues & now notice that IE updated again to 11.   Wondering if there is a connection?????

I have been having the same problem, it started after the automatic update to IE11. I uninstalled the update (& unchecked the 'auto-update' box) & all worked fine. HOWEVER 2 days later I am having the same issues & now notice that IE updated again to 11.   Wondering if there is a connection?????

14 of 37 (12,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 11:00:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yesterday, 12-04-13 afternoon, seems like is everything were fixed; when we try to open an attachment, the bar asking "open or saving this attachment" appears. Of course, we clicked on "open" an it was succesful; however, today 12-05-13 everything is worst. Now no bar appears and we cannot open the attachment. I don't understand how this kind of things could happen at ATT-YAHOO. If ATT-YAHOO are a extremely big company with millions of customers, this kind of thing are inadvisable. I still remember when att worldnet had an excellent service. Now, after buying BellSouth and Yahoo the service is not the same, so I am asking "WHEN YOU ARE GOING TO FIX THIS PROBLEM, PLEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE OF OPENING THEIR ATTACHMENTS" ? TO FINISH, IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO CONTACT YOU, SO WHAT KING OF SERVICES ARE YOU RENDERING TO THE PEOPLE ?

Yesterday, 12-04-13 afternoon, seems like is everything were fixed; when we try to open an attachment, the bar asking "open or saving this attachment" appears. Of course, we clicked on "open" an it was succesful; however, today 12-05-13 everything is worst. Now no bar appears and we cannot open the attachment. I don't understand how this kind of things could happen at ATT-YAHOO. If ATT-YAHOO are a extremely big company with millions of customers, this kind of thing are inadvisable. I still remember when att worldnet had an excellent service. Now, after buying BellSouth and Yahoo the service is not the same, so I am asking "WHEN YOU ARE GOING TO FIX THIS PROBLEM, PLEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE OF OPENING THEIR ATTACHMENTS" ? TO FINISH, IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO CONTACT YOU, SO WHAT KING OF SERVICES ARE YOU RENDERING TO THE PEOPLE ?

15 of 37 (12,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 5:48:59 PM
(0)
Tutor
gave up....took the pute to the repairshop. they deleted IE and reinstalled it. it is working so far. costed me $69. Microsoft should reemburse me
gave up....took the pute to the repairshop. they deleted IE and reinstalled it. it is working so far. costed me $69. Microsoft should reemburse me

16 of 37 (11,868 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 5:51:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

Well mine started working for a few days and now 12-7 it's not working again. This is an absolute joke. I am on a Mac and have tried on both Firefox and Safari. Come on ATT or Yahoo or both...GET THIS FIXED!!!

Well mine started working for a few days and now 12-7 it's not working again. This is an absolute joke. I am on a Mac and have tried on both Firefox and Safari. Come on ATT or Yahoo or both...GET THIS FIXED!!!

17 of 37 (11,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 9:08:55 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm using Yahoo Mail in Chrome, and this has been a problem for around 2 weeks or so.  

I have a work-around.

When you are asked if you want to download the attachment to your computer, it goes to a folder called "Downloads".  So say Yes, and then open up Explorer and search for Downloads.  

Once you have found it and confirmed that's where your attachments have been sent, then go back to Explorer, right-click on Downloads to create a shortcut, copy it or drag it to your Desktop.

This is much easier than opening another browser which may or may not be able to let you open attachments.

I assume the next time the Yahoo Email is updated they'll fix this.

I'm using Yahoo Mail in Chrome, and this has been a problem for around 2 weeks or so.  

I have a work-around.

When you are asked if you want to download the attachment to your computer, it goes to a folder called "Downloads".  So say Yes, and then open up Explorer and search for Downloads.  

Once you have found it and confirmed that's where your attachments have been sent, then go back to Explorer, right-click on Downloads to create a shortcut, copy it or drag it to your Desktop.

This is much easier than opening another browser which may or may not be able to let you open attachments.

I assume the next time the Yahoo Email is updated they'll fix this.

18 of 37 (11,626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 9:43:59 AM
(0)
Contributor

Can't open attachments at my business computer.  It show's "scanning" the stops without opening.  I don't have this problem on my home computer when opening the same attachments.  Is there a setting causing this?
 (also I don't understand the posted solution)

Can't open attachments at my business computer.  It show's "scanning" the stops without opening.  I don't have this problem on my home computer when opening the same attachments.  Is there a setting causing this?
 (also I don't understand the posted solution)

19 of 37 (11,621 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 1:55:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

I can't open from my yahoo either. Nothing on my work computer, laptop or desktop. I use Explorer at work and Chrome at home. I tried to delete the tab like someone suggested above but that doesn't work. 

I can't open from my yahoo either. Nothing on my work computer, laptop or desktop. I use Explorer at work and Chrome at home. I tried to delete the tab like someone suggested above but that doesn't work. 

20 of 37 (11,452 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2013 3:57:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

ditto.
I'm using Firefox.
I can get it to work in IE, only IF I first click on a message at the bottom letting it open some crappy ads at the top of the email page. Then when I try to open the attachment, I finally get the bar at the bottom that asks if I want to open or save the attached file.

ditto.
I'm using Firefox.
I can get it to work in IE, only IF I first click on a message at the bottom letting it open some crappy ads at the top of the email page. Then when I try to open the attachment, I finally get the bar at the bottom that asks if I want to open or save the attached file.

21 of 37 (11,282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2013 12:24:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

Have the same problem. Cannot open attachments. Save to computer doesn't respond either. Same results using Explorer or Firefox. Found a workaround but it is a pain in the neck. Works for both Explorer and Firefox

In the Mail Option folder

• Full featured (recommended) - View photo slideshows, drag and drop attachments, personalize your theme, and more.
  • Basic

I switch from Full to Basic

In basic I can open or download to my selected file all attachments.

ATT should see why there is a difference in Basic and Full and fix the problem. Have heard a lot of complaints but have seen no action from ATT

Have the same problem. Cannot open attachments. Save to computer doesn't respond either. Same results using Explorer or Firefox. Found a workaround but it is a pain in the neck. Works for both Explorer and Firefox

In the Mail Option folder

• Full featured (recommended) - View photo slideshows, drag and drop attachments, personalize your theme, and more.
  • Basic

I switch from Full to Basic

In basic I can open or download to my selected file all attachments.

ATT should see why there is a difference in Basic and Full and fix the problem. Have heard a lot of complaints but have seen no action from ATT

22 of 37 (11,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2013 7:16:17 AM
(0)
Contributor
Thanks so much. That did it. AT&T still needs to fully fix this problem!!!!!
Thanks so much. That did it. AT&T still needs to fully fix this problem!!!!!

23 of 37 (11,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2013 7:13:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

re-pinning and changing options didn't work for me today. (using Chrome). Have been ATT user for 15+ years, never had this problem before. NEVER had this problem with gmail. Will keep searching for solution, but ATT/Yahoo, you've been less than helpful. Just in case you care to know.

re-pinning and changing options didn't work for me today. (using Chrome). Have been ATT user for 15+ years, never had this problem before. NEVER had this problem with gmail. Will keep searching for solution, but ATT/Yahoo, you've been less than helpful. Just in case you care to know.

24 of 37 (10,790 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2013 7:40:57 PM
(0)
Tutor
I have had trouble opening yahoo email attachments also. Last week it somehow resolved its self. I have had this problem again the last two hours and finally tried something that worked. I got off the internet and went to my email through the yahoo web site and my attachments opened. So, again I tried my old shortcut to email on my desktop and the attachments still would not open. So I deleted the old shortcut on the desktop and made a new one after accessing through the yahoo web site again and now the attachments open. Hope this works for you and others.
I have had trouble opening yahoo email attachments also. Last week it somehow resolved its self. I have had this problem again the last two hours and finally tried something that worked. I got off the internet and went to my email through the yahoo web site and my attachments opened. So, again I tried my old shortcut to email on my desktop and the attachments still would not open. So I deleted the old shortcut on the desktop and made a new one after accessing through the yahoo web site again and now the attachments open. Hope this works for you and others.

25 of 37 (10,645 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2013 7:13:38 PM
(0)
Contributor

Changing to basic worked for me. It's ugly though. Firefox on Ubuntu here 3 computers all had the same problem - I don't have a #%! My Computer!

Changing to basic worked for me. It's ugly though. Firefox on Ubuntu here 3 computers all had the same problem - I don't have a #%! My Computer!

26 of 37 (10,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2013 9:24:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

This worked and I appreciate it. However the BASIC version of the Yahoo Mail has an advertising line in my inbox that is impossible to delete. Yahool needs to recognize and fix the bug in the Full version of their mail. Again for me this started between 11/26/13 and 12/10/13. Using Firefox 26.0 (upgraded after problems without fixing Yahoo attachment problem. Windows 7 OS, Norton AntiVirus 2013.

Double-clicking on an attachment has "scanning" message then nothing, not opening nor saving. JPG attachments not effected. Can forward to HotMail account and attachments available to view and save.

I was used to Full version, now have to readjust - might as well switch to GMAIL!!!!!

This worked and I appreciate it. However the BASIC version of the Yahoo Mail has an advertising line in my inbox that is impossible to delete. Yahool needs to recognize and fix the bug in the Full version of their mail. Again for me this started between 11/26/13 and 12/10/13. Using Firefox 26.0 (upgraded after problems without fixing Yahoo attachment problem. Windows 7 OS, Norton AntiVirus 2013.

Double-clicking on an attachment has "scanning" message then nothing, not opening nor saving. JPG attachments not effected. Can forward to HotMail account and attachments available to view and save.

I was used to Full version, now have to readjust - might as well switch to GMAIL!!!!!

27 of 37 (10,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2013 9:35:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

I read a further comment on this issue and it seems to have worked.

1) Switched to Basic in Mail Options (from Full)

2) In Basic able to open attachments previously was unable to open or save

3) Didn't like Basic and read to open mail in Yahoo.com so switched back to Full version (hyperlink to new att.mail

4) Opened Yahoo.com and took me to my existing mail (did not have me sign in)

5) Attachments now working as they should and using Full version of Yahoo Mail -

I'll see if this is temporary or a real fix.

Again Yahoo is ignoring the problem being discussed here and needs to care about service to its customers

I read a further comment on this issue and it seems to have worked.

1) Switched to Basic in Mail Options (from Full)

2) In Basic able to open attachments previously was unable to open or save

3) Didn't like Basic and read to open mail in Yahoo.com so switched back to Full version (hyperlink to new att.mail

4) Opened Yahoo.com and took me to my existing mail (did not have me sign in)

5) Attachments now working as they should and using Full version of Yahoo Mail -

I'll see if this is temporary or a real fix.

Again Yahoo is ignoring the problem being discussed here and needs to care about service to its customers

28 of 37 (10,027 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2013 10:41:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

What I thought worked was only temporary. However I read another solution and it is working so far.

Open Browser. The link to the YahooMail needs to be changed.
Close mail and use search (Google) to locate YahooMail. Log in to mail and either copy URL into the Browser setting for Mail link or in Firefox, select use existing page for mail.

Seems to be working with Full version of Yahoo.

Seems that the link to mail was changed in early December and resulting in not able to read, open or save attachments other than JPGs. I think Yahoo missed the boat, by not informing users or posting the problem and solution and letting the IT admit the problem so users could resolve it.

What I thought worked was only temporary. However I read another solution and it is working so far.

Open Browser. The link to the YahooMail needs to be changed.
Close mail and use search (Google) to locate YahooMail. Log in to mail and either copy URL into the Browser setting for Mail link or in Firefox, select use existing page for mail.

Seems to be working with Full version of Yahoo.

Seems that the link to mail was changed in early December and resulting in not able to read, open or save attachments other than JPGs. I think Yahoo missed the boat, by not informing users or posting the problem and solution and letting the IT admit the problem so users could resolve it.

29 of 37 (9,978 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 8:22:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks mmcdermott -

Great post - and it works!

I've had the same problem for over a month with my att.net email. Google Chrome tech support has been offering suggestions for me - and ultimately what you've suggested works! I agree - Yahoo/att must have changed the url hyperlink somehow.

Solution: X out of your att email. Go to Google and enter yahoo mail as your search term. I chose the one to 'create a free yahoo email account' and just clicking on that link took me straight to my email with att.net. Copy that url and begin using that one for your email. Voila!

No need to use Basic (which also works btw - but it's clunky and filled with ads). Another temporary work-around for the past month has been to log out of Chrome and access my email via IE v10.

Att/Yahoo - Get your act together, please!

Thanks mmcdermott -

Great post - and it works!

I've had the same problem for over a month with my att.net email. Google Chrome tech support has been offering suggestions for me - and ultimately what you've suggested works! I agree - Yahoo/att must have changed the url hyperlink somehow.

Solution: X out of your att email. Go to Google and enter yahoo mail as your search term. I chose the one to 'create a free yahoo email account' and just clicking on that link took me straight to my email with att.net. Copy that url and begin using that one for your email. Voila!

No need to use Basic (which also works btw - but it's clunky and filled with ads). Another temporary work-around for the past month has been to log out of Chrome and access my email via IE v10.

Att/Yahoo - Get your act together, please!

30 of 37 (9,601 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments