Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Feb 24, 2014
7:32:01 AM
View profile
att supply network interface device

building a new home - rural area, serviced by ATT.

Does ATT supply the network interface device? or do I need to supply it and have it prewired and ready for them?  was reading on ATT's website about a new iNID ("intelligent" NID).... didn't explain it real well, can someone break down whether that is something I should consider or if it's unnecssary for DSL/POTS?

There is a ATT "box" that feeds the neighboring home, this box is on the property line.  do I assume there is enough lines in that box to feed my home too?  The neighboring home has DSL, should I just assume I can get DSL too?

my power feed will come from that same area (i.e. the transformer will be set next to this existing phone box), do I drop conduit in the ground when we trench the power for ATT to pull through?  or do i need to trench that separately?

any guidance or help would be appreciated.  if this is answered elsewhere feel free to just drop some links as answers....

building a new home - rural area, serviced by ATT.

Does ATT supply the network interface device? or do I need to supply it and have it prewired and ready for them?  was reading on ATT's website about a new iNID ("intelligent" NID).... didn't explain it real well, can someone break down whether that is something I should consider or if it's unnecssary for DSL/POTS?

There is a ATT "box" that feeds the neighboring home, this box is on the property line.  do I assume there is enough lines in that box to feed my home too?  The neighboring home has DSL, should I just assume I can get DSL too?

my power feed will come from that same area (i.e. the transformer will be set next to this existing phone box), do I drop conduit in the ground when we trench the power for ATT to pull through?  or do i need to trench that separately?

any guidance or help would be appreciated.  if this is answered elsewhere feel free to just drop some links as answers....

att supply network interface device

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2014 1:39:33 PM
(0)
Guru

The NID is responsibility of AT&T. The iNID is a device that was used to deploy U-Verse services for certain set-ups. I believe it is being phased out, in favour of the Motorola NVG589 Residential Gateway. You cannot assume you'll be able to receive service. (There are a series of situations where you cannot obtain service from that box.) You can, however have AT&T investigate if service is available at your address. I advise you to send ATTCustomerCare a private message with a description of your situation, your phone number, and the best time to contact you. They will get you in touch the with appropriate department within 2-3 business days. Keep an eye out for a blue flashing envelope on the to right of the site. It'll alert you when you have a new PM. 

The NID is responsibility of AT&T. The iNID is a device that was used to deploy U-Verse services for certain set-ups. I believe it is being phased out, in favour of the Motorola NVG589 Residential Gateway. You cannot assume you'll be able to receive service. (There are a series of situations where you cannot obtain service from that box.) You can, however have AT&T investigate if service is available at your address. I advise you to send ATTCustomerCare a private message with a description of your situation, your phone number, and the best time to contact you. They will get you in touch the with appropriate department within 2-3 business days. Keep an eye out for a blue flashing envelope on the to right of the site. It'll alert you when you have a new PM. 

Re: att supply network interface device

2 of 2 (145 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments