Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Apr 28, 2014
10:20:25 AM
Yet Another Warning: IE 6 through 11..... and Win 8.1

"New" vulnerability in IE.

http://www.fireeye.com/blog/uncategorized/2014/04/new-zero-day-exploit-targeting-internet-explorer-v...

So, if you're using IE 10 or 11 you will want to use protected mode:

If you're using any IE older than version 10 you will want to disable Flash.

So keep an eye out for the patch, but if your still running XP the patch will not install.

Also another gotchya from Microsoft.

If you're sportin' Windows 8.1, they're releasing an update called Windows 8.1 Update 1 (service pack?). If you you do not install this update (or let it install automatically) by May 13th, you will no longer receive any security updates for Windows 8.1 so your brand new computer wont be any safer than your 12 year old XP machine. Enterprise customers have until August.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

"New" vulnerability in IE.

http://www.fireeye.com/blog/uncategorized/2014/04/new-zero-day-exploit-targeting-internet-explorer-versions-9-through-11-identified-in-targeted-attacks.html

So, if you're using IE 10 or 11 you will want to use protected mode:

If you're using any IE older than version 10 you will want to disable Flash.

So keep an eye out for the patch, but if your still running XP the patch will not install.

Also another gotchya from Microsoft.

If you're sportin' Windows 8.1, they're releasing an update called Windows 8.1 Update 1 (service pack?). If you you do not install this update (or let it install automatically) by May 13th, you will no longer receive any security updates for Windows 8.1 so your brand new computer wont be any safer than your 12 year old XP machine. Enterprise customers have until August.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Yet Another Warning: IE 6 through 11..... and Win 8.1

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 1:53:17 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Thank for sharing Computer-Joe! Do you know if users can check if they already have a Windows 8.1 Update 1?

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Thank for sharing Computer-Joe! Do you know if users can check if they already have a Windows 8.1 Update 1?

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Yet Another Warning: IE 6 through 11..... and Win 8.1

2 of 4 (279 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 2:11:41 PM
(0)
Master

@ATTDmitriyCM  wrote:

Thanks,

Dmitriy

If you’re running Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 and you get updates automatically, you don’t need to do anything. Windows Update will download and install the update for you within the next few weeks.

To check if the update is already installed, go to the Start screen. If you see a Search button near your account name at the top of the Start screen, you already have the update.

The Search button on the Start screen

The update is gradually rolling out to everyone with a PC running Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 over a period of several weeks. If you get automatic updates but you don't see the update yet, wait a few days and check again.

Full details/instructions can be found here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/install-latest-update-windows-8-1

@ATTDmitriyCM  wrote:

Thanks,

Dmitriy

If you’re running Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 and you get updates automatically, you don’t need to do anything. Windows Update will download and install the update for you within the next few weeks.

To check if the update is already installed, go to the Start screen. If you see a Search button near your account name at the top of the Start screen, you already have the update.

The Search button on the Start screen

The update is gradually rolling out to everyone with a PC running Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 over a period of several weeks. If you get automatic updates but you don't see the update yet, wait a few days and check again.

Full details/instructions can be found here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/install-latest-update-windows-8-1

neon_sign.jpg

3 of 4 (274 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2014 12:19:49 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Thank you sir, mine is looking good. Everybody else reading this thread, please make sure to update as soon as possible.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Thank you sir, mine is looking good. Everybody else reading this thread, please make sure to update as soon as possible.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 4 (253 Views)