Windows Active Directory and the Motorola NVG510

Tutor

Windows Active Directory and the Motorola NVG510

We just had our DSL switched out for U-verse today and now we're having DHCP problems. We're running a Windows Active Directory domain; by design, the AD server provides DNS and DHCP services to clients. In the past, this wasn't a problem as I could disable DHCP on the DSL router. Today, however, AT&T put us on a Motorola NVG510 router and it appears there is no way to disable DHCP on NVG510 through the standard interface. Every other solution I can find involves running a complete router behind the NVG510, but that's not we want; we just need to disable DHCP on the NVG510 or get a different router from AT&T on which we can disable DHCP.

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert

Re: Windows Active Directory and the Motorola NVG510

You cannot disable DHCP on any U-verse router.

Your best bet is to put a router behind it.  See post 2 in this thread for help configuring it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Tutor

So we're supposed to provide, at our own expense, a new router because AT&T broke our network by switching us from DSL to U-verse? That's entirely unacceptable.

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Expert

The way I would think of it is that the free router capabilities that were included in DSL are no longer available in the U-verse HSI.

I'd rather control my own router anyway.  AT&T has full management access to their device and there is no way to control what they can do within your network without your own device behind it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

Additional Support