Helpful Links

What are my options to buy a VDSL modem?

Contributor

What are my options to buy a VDSL modem?

I have 24Mb Internet to my house.  My house is in a slightly remorte location, and I remember that the technician mentioned the need to bond two DSL lines during the installaton.  Sure enough I looked at the 2Wire configuration and it is configured for dual connections using VDSL.

Only four supported modems are listed on the AT&T website (http://www.att.com/equipment/accessories/gateways-modems.jsp), and none of them says it supports VDSL.  I am fairly certain that I need VDSL, though I am not terribly familiar with the technology, so I I am looking for some direction with all of my modem options.  Ultimately I also want faster WiFi, but I am open to a dedicated VDSL modem and I will buy a separate WiFi access point and or router.  If there is an all in one device (VDSL/Router/Firewall/WiFi a/b/g/n) I am open to that as well.

Can someone please provide a list of modem options that support VDSL, or provide more detailed technical informaiton I may be lacking (e.g. could I get away with an ADSL2+ modem, or is that incompatible with VDSL?)?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Scott

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 6
Employee

Re: What are my options to buy a VDSL modem?

The units in your list are for DSL accounts not Uverse accounts.

Adsl2+ units (510, 5169) will not work on VDSL.

Current single pair VDSL RGs
Purchased $100, one year warranty are 3600 (b/g) 5031 (b/g/n) both have (4) 10/100 ports for iternet only or internet/voip
Leased $8/ month are IP TV units 3800, 3801 both (b/g) with (4) 10/100 ports

Bonded pair VDSL TGs (LEASED only)
Inid with i38hg (b/g) with (4) 10/100 ports
589 RG /(b/g/n) with (4) 10/100/1000 ports

While you did not state your current unit the only two Uverse VDSL units in your situation are inid or 589.
Of which you have one.

You of course may purchase a 3rd party router and setup behind the RG, but this is non ATT supported equipment.
In other words if not familiar may wish to hire an IT guy to set up your system.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

Is there an option to purchase my on VDSL router/modem and install it as my gateway or does ATT use the 802.1x certificates on their modems? If not, I'd like to setup an 802.11 ac router/wifi AP behind the gateway. Even though the latter solution is not "offiicially supported" by ATT, are there any specific things I should consider when installing the router?

Thanks!

James

Message 3 of 6
Employee

Jdavistdi, Vdsl, non IPTV service RGs are the 3600 or 503.
Either is a $100 purchase, one year warranty.
The 3600 is designed or less than 2200 feet loop length, has b/g wireless, (4) 10/100 ports.
The 5031 is designed for loop lengths up to 3500 feet, has b/g/n 2.4 wireless, (4) 10/100 ports.

Either may be purchased from sites such as ebay, no warranty, needs proper certification.
Most common issue is weak or no wifi from RG.

You may of course purchase your own and set up behind in DMZ mode.
Follow somejoe7777 advice here http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 6
Contributor

Thanks for the info. A technician recently told me that I'm less than 1700 feet from the VRAD. Given that neither purchase options include dual-band, I'd like to explore the DMZ mode idea and just buy an AC 1900 router and place it behind the ATT unit. Would I need to purchase a modem or can I just get away with a wifi router? Is the DMZ mode a specific setting on my 3801 ATT router?
Message 5 of 6
Contributor

To Quote:

"Current single pair VDSL RGs
Purchased $100, one year warranty are 3600 (b/g) 5031 (b/g/n) both have (4) 10/100 ports for iternet only or internet/voip
Leased $8/ month are IP TV units 3800, 3801 both (b/g) with (4) 10/100 ports

Bonded pair VDSL TGs (LEASED only)
Inid with i38hg (b/g) with (4) 10/100 ports
589 RG /(b/g/n) with (4) 10/100/1000 ports

While you did not state your current unit the only two Uverse VDSL units in your situation are inid or 589.
Of which you have one.

You of course may purchase a 3rd party router and setup behind the RG, but this is non ATT supported equipment.
In other words if not familiar may wish to hire an IT guy to set up your system.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions."

These are two big factors for my desire to leave the U-verse world. Outdated equipment, and no private purchase options of reason. So while WiFi is at the AC level, AT&T U-verse at base level is 2 generations behind in equipment and is that cheaper? Nope. Sure You will let us suckers buy an N gateway/router for $100 and then pay monthly lease payments(because they are lease only) but then we are still behind. When my service was installed 2 years ago within 6 hours after the tech left the battery backup alarm was going off. At my work we use similar devices on our equipment, this alarm told me we were provided with USED equipment, So rather that hassle with calling a guy back and having him fiddle with it for who knows how long I just disconnected the battery.

But anyway this all goes back to not just old outdated tech, but devices that are not retired from service after installation but are simply turned around and put back in the field as new.... AT&T you suck at this. I know you're stuck with aging copper infrastructure that can barely handle capacity, so what are you doing about it. I hated cable (TW specifically) for their ever increasing costs, but U-verse is no different and for outdated technology at that.

So my options going forward are cut the cord, go back to cable, or stay here with slow outdated gear. I can go back to cable and the same day buy a future proof modem/router that I am not required to lease that can support up to 100GB service and provide AC WiFi. What you got U-verse?

smh. 
Tags (1)
Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues, we are here to chat!

Additional Support