Internet Forums

Posted Jul 28, 2013
6:48:00 PM
View profile
Uverse cutting out at same (ish) time every evening

Hi all,

New to the forums- so hopefully I'm putting this in the right place.

I've had Uverse (just internet) for over a year now and haven't had any problems until recently.  In the past two weeks or so, I'm noticing my connection cutting out (losing internet connectivity) at around 7pm (US Central time) every evening.  Sometimes this will be for only a few minutes, sometime for up to half an hour.  During that time, my modem's (2wire) DSL and internet status lights will mostly stay green but will occasionally flash red.  If you're actively trying to browse during the period it's not working, sometimes it'll work for a bit (30-45 sec) only to cut out again quickly after that.  Once it comes back on, it tends to stay on and work fine for 24 hours or so.  Happens on both wireless and wired connections.

Any ideas?  I haven't called tech support yet, cause I kept hoping the problem would resolve itself...  The online steps and guides haven't been any help.  I'm most puzzled by the fact that it consistently happens at the same time every evening.  Makes me think it's probably not my modem or computer.  I've tried all the basic stuff- reset the modem, browsed forums looking for similar problems, etc. without success.

Hoping that posting on the Uverse forums specifically might bring up someone else who has encountered this issue or has a direction to point me in.  Thanks!

-Jeff

Hi all,

New to the forums- so hopefully I'm putting this in the right place.

I've had Uverse (just internet) for over a year now and haven't had any problems until recently.  In the past two weeks or so, I'm noticing my connection cutting out (losing internet connectivity) at around 7pm (US Central time) every evening.  Sometimes this will be for only a few minutes, sometime for up to half an hour.  During that time, my modem's (2wire) DSL and internet status lights will mostly stay green but will occasionally flash red.  If you're actively trying to browse during the period it's not working, sometimes it'll work for a bit (30-45 sec) only to cut out again quickly after that.  Once it comes back on, it tends to stay on and work fine for 24 hours or so.  Happens on both wireless and wired connections.

Any ideas?  I haven't called tech support yet, cause I kept hoping the problem would resolve itself...  The online steps and guides haven't been any help.  I'm most puzzled by the fact that it consistently happens at the same time every evening.  Makes me think it's probably not my modem or computer.  I've tried all the basic stuff- reset the modem, browsed forums looking for similar problems, etc. without success.

Hoping that posting on the Uverse forums specifically might bring up someone else who has encountered this issue or has a direction to point me in.  Thanks!

-Jeff

Uverse cutting out at same (ish) time every evening

23 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 10:08:21 PM
(0)
Mentor

I consider myself a newbie but from what I gather in my lifetime is do you have any sorts of appliance you turn on around that time too? Ive heard bad lights could cause interference too. I could be wrong though. but if its something consistent especially around the same time then it could be just that. maybe one of the better techs around could help answer your question better. Good luck!!

I consider myself a newbie but from what I gather in my lifetime is do you have any sorts of appliance you turn on around that time too? Ive heard bad lights could cause interference too. I could be wrong though. but if its something consistent especially around the same time then it could be just that. maybe one of the better techs around could help answer your question better. Good luck!!

Re: Uverse cutting out at same (ish) time every evening

2 of 24 (2,284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 5:18:57 PM
(0)
Explorer

I cannot think of any devices (at least in my house) that activate at that time.  My wife says she also notices it happening at about 7am too...  which confuses me even more.

I cannot think of any devices (at least in my house) that activate at that time.  My wife says she also notices it happening at about 7am too...  which confuses me even more.

3 of 24 (2,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 5:49:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Click on the hyperlink in my sig for AT&T Customer Care and you will be taken to their profile page.   They are an escalation team that is higher than regular Customer Service, who can get this issue resolved.  Send them a PM with your info and your concern and they will get in touch with you.  They will reply to you via PM as well so watch the blue envelope at the top of the forum page for message notification.

Click on the hyperlink in my sig for AT&T Customer Care and you will be taken to their profile page.   They are an escalation team that is higher than regular Customer Service, who can get this issue resolved.  Send them a PM with your info and your concern and they will get in touch with you.  They will reply to you via PM as well so watch the blue envelope at the top of the forum page for message notification.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 24 (2,210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 7:41:31 PM
(0)
Explorer

Will do.  Thanks!

Will do.  Thanks!

5 of 24 (2,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 1:15:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Your welcome.  Let us know what happens.

Your welcome.  Let us know what happens.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 24 (2,124 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2013 4:17:05 PM
(0)
Voyager

Do you have any speakers, appliances, electric(lights wires, ect) crossing the phone line that goes directly to your modem?  Are you in an apartment or house?  If an apartment, the wiring interference could be caused my your neighbors.  If the problem is only happening at certain times of the day their is probably some sort of interference causing the issue.  If you are only on the internet at those times and notice the problem, it could be happening more often.  Their could be a more serious issue with the lines outside.

Do you have any speakers, appliances, electric(lights wires, ect) crossing the phone line that goes directly to your modem?  Are you in an apartment or house?  If an apartment, the wiring interference could be caused my your neighbors.  If the problem is only happening at certain times of the day their is probably some sort of interference causing the issue.  If you are only on the internet at those times and notice the problem, it could be happening more often.  Their could be a more serious issue with the lines outside.

7 of 24 (2,043 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2013 4:40:58 PM
(0)
Voyager

Forgot to mention that the broadband and service lights should always stay solid green.  If either one flashes green or red or just goes out then your service dropped.

Forgot to mention that the broadband and service lights should always stay solid green.  If either one flashes green or red or just goes out then your service dropped.

8 of 24 (2,031 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 4:06:13 PM
(0)
Explorer

Yeah, that's what is happening.  The DSL or Internet light will flash red for a bit, or else one of them will just constantly flash green.  A tech came out and and looked around.  He mentioned replacing some wires- but I'm still having the problem.  In the 4 days since he was out here, the problem seemed minimized.  The connection would still cut out around 7am/7pm but only for 90 seconds - 2.5 minutes.  That's at least more manageable.

But it just happened again (this time from 5:40-6:00pm) for 20 minutes.  Which was either a fluke or it means the consistent times didn't matter as much as I thought.  The technician did mention that there had been other complaints from people in my neighborhood...

Guess I'll contact customer service again, unless anyone else has any ideas?

Yeah, that's what is happening.  The DSL or Internet light will flash red for a bit, or else one of them will just constantly flash green.  A tech came out and and looked around.  He mentioned replacing some wires- but I'm still having the problem.  In the 4 days since he was out here, the problem seemed minimized.  The connection would still cut out around 7am/7pm but only for 90 seconds - 2.5 minutes.  That's at least more manageable.

But it just happened again (this time from 5:40-6:00pm) for 20 minutes.  Which was either a fluke or it means the consistent times didn't matter as much as I thought.  The technician did mention that there had been other complaints from people in my neighborhood...

Guess I'll contact customer service again, unless anyone else has any ideas?

9 of 24 (1,956 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 4:36:26 PM
(0)
Employee
What RG do you have, can you download uvrealtime and post screen shots?
Uvrealtime is only for VDSL RGs 3600, 3800, 3801, and i38HG....additional need PC based software

http://www.uvrealtime.com/

My immediate thought concerning 7am, 7pm time is unstable power, (power grid changes 7am manufacturing needs increase, power supply increase, evenings lower grid for less demand. Are in you a more rural area? Could try purchasing a UPS (designed to provide stable ac ) or tripplite.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question28.htm

Or recommend http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/product-series.cfm?txtSeriesID=825
Uvrealtime is only for VDSL RGs 3600, 3800, 3801, and i38HG....additional need PC based software

My immediate thought concerning 7am, 7pm time is unstable power, (power grid changes 7am manufacturing needs increase, power supply increase, evenings lower grid for less demand. Are in you a more rural area? Could try purchasing a UPS (designed to provide stable ac ) or tripplite.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question28.htm

Or recommend http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/product-series.cfm?txtSeriesID=825
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

10 of 24 (1,945 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 8:42:53 PM
(0)
Explorer

my thoughts wrote:

2701HGV-B.  So it looks like the program won't work.

my thoughts wrote:

I guess that could be.  I do live a more rural area (outskirts of a city of about 3000).  The problem just started suddenly though and I never had a problem before...

What would I plug into that surge protector?  The gateway?  Would the problem be the gateway losing power or the DSL line itself?

my thoughts wrote:

2701HGV-B.  So it looks like the program won't work.

my thoughts wrote:

I guess that could be.  I do live a more rural area (outskirts of a city of about 3000).  The problem just started suddenly though and I never had a problem before...

What would I plug into that surge protector?  The gateway?  Would the problem be the gateway losing power or the DSL line itself?

11 of 24 (1,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 9:19:09 PM
(0)
Employee
Yes plug the gateway in, two possibilities
1) brown outs, voltage drop below minimum requirement
Example a compressor motor on a freezer, sump pump refrigerator turn on dropping the voltage to about 90 vac
Most sensitive PC related equipment is rated 110 +-10% (100 to 120 vac) the brown out causes equipment to start shutdown process
A UPC is designed to filter surges and better ones will convert AC to DC (charging battery) and back to clean AC powering equipment plugged in
The tripplite isobar is more about filtering unwanted noise and surges ( exceeding 120vac)
2) as voltage changes creates EMI depending on how home run (phone wire is run) may be introducing RF into line casing errors and RG to reboot.

As your modem is older may be worth considering the investment to the new Pace 5031 (handles both VDSL and ADSL2 circuits ($100).
Yes plug the gateway in, two possibilities
1) brown outs, voltage drop below minimum requirement
Example a compressor motor on a freezer, sump pump refrigerator turn on dropping the voltage to about 90 vac
Most sensitive PC related equipment is rated 110 +-10% (100 to 120 vac) the brown out causes equipment to start shutdown process
A UPC is designed to filter surges and better ones will convert AC to DC (charging battery) and back to clean AC powering equipment plugged in
The tripplite isobar is more about filtering unwanted noise and surges ( exceeding 120vac)
2) as voltage changes creates EMI depending on how home run (phone wire is run) may be introducing RF into line casing errors and RG to reboot.

As your modem is older may be worth considering the investment to the new Pace 5031 (handles both VDSL and ADSL2 circuits ($100).
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

12 of 24 (1,918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2013 11:07:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Brownouts, 75-80V will provide enough power for the RG.  I know, had a brownout like that and my laptop could connect to the internet on battery power. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Brownouts, 75-80V will provide enough power for the RG.  I know, had a brownout like that and my laptop could connect to the internet on battery power. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

13 of 24 (1,877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2013 1:21:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yeah, but with a brown out come other nasty things... noise on the line from equipment not built to deal with brownouts.

Yeah, but with a brown out come other nasty things... noise on the line from equipment not built to deal with brownouts.

14 of 24 (1,864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2013 4:40:46 PM
(0)
Explorer

So if someone were going to recommend a simple (and preferably not too expensive!) UPS, which would you recommend?

As I understand it I would only need the RG plugged into it.  I have standard U.S. outlets.  I'm thinking something like this:  http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=743&txtModelID=3090  but don't want to spend $70 and miss something obvious that makes it incompatible with my outlet/system/etc.  

So any advice would be appreciated!  Thanks!

So if someone were going to recommend a simple (and preferably not too expensive!) UPS, which would you recommend?

As I understand it I would only need the RG plugged into it.  I have standard U.S. outlets.  I'm thinking something like this:  http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=743&txtModelID=3090  but don't want to spend $70 and miss something obvious that makes it incompatible with my outlet/system/etc.  

So any advice would be appreciated!  Thanks!

15 of 24 (1,842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2013 4:49:28 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by Vorput on Aug 8, 2013 at 5:42:46 PM

And then one other thing.  I was checking my RG's status page and noticed this message:

Excessive Impulse Noise1

Interleaved mode recommended

Could that have anything to do with anything?  Not sure what it means.

EDIT:  It only appears to be there when I'm having problems connecting.  At other times it reads 0 and OK.

And then one other thing.  I was checking my RG's status page and noticed this message:

Excessive Impulse Noise1

Interleaved mode recommended

Could that have anything to do with anything?  Not sure what it means.

EDIT:  It only appears to be there when I'm having problems connecting.  At other times it reads 0 and OK.

[ Edited ]
16 of 24 (1,838 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2013 10:51:20 PM
(0)
Employee
the product listed seems well recommend for home office may be overkill for just RG unless you desire to place other devices on it.

My original thought was rural community near a business park with new or changed power requirements resulting in surges from power grid.
Another thought is older RG, no issues till recently....component in RG starting to break down (leaky caps) not offering filter protection once provided by RG.
While the investment in UPS is always recommended for businesses most consumers are either nit aware or don't care.
I'm currently believing might be better to invest in new RG, but again just my thoughts, your decision.
the product listed seems well recommend for home office may be overkill for just RG unless you desire to place other devices on it.

My original thought was rural community near a business park with new or changed power requirements resulting in surges from power grid.
Another thought is older RG, no issues till recently....component in RG starting to break down (leaky caps) not offering filter protection once provided by RG.
While the investment in UPS is always recommended for businesses most consumers are either nit aware or don't care.
I'm currently believing might be better to invest in new RG, but again just my thoughts, your decision.

17 of 24 (1,789 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 2:25:07 PM
(0)
Explorer

my thoughts wrote:

Does it violate Uverse terms of use or anything to purchase and use my own gateway?  Or do I buy it through AT&T?

my thoughts wrote:

Does it violate Uverse terms of use or anything to purchase and use my own gateway?  Or do I buy it through AT&T?

18 of 24 (1,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2013 10:00:25 PM
(0)
Employee
You may purchase whatever you desire, but if issues ATT only supports their units.
Which is more valuable to you currently time or money YOLO
. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Otla5157c&feature=youtube_gdata_player
You may purchase whatever you desire, but if issues ATT only supports their units.
Which is more valuable to you currently time or money YOLO
. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Otla5157c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

19 of 24 (1,725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2013 4:43:11 PM
(0)
Mentor

Probably not relevant, but do you have a "monitored" alarm system on the same line?  Maybe it is doing a phoneline check every day?  Seems like alarm systems used to be a problem.  I've had wireless monitoring for a couple years, since I got U-verse, so I've not experienced that issue.

Probably not relevant, but do you have a "monitored" alarm system on the same line?  Maybe it is doing a phoneline check every day?  Seems like alarm systems used to be a problem.  I've had wireless monitoring for a couple years, since I got U-verse, so I've not experienced that issue.

20 of 24 (1,688 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 3:24:45 PM
(0)
Explorer

FormerWillyb wrote:

No, nothing like that.  Too bad... it'd be an easy fix. :smileywink:

FormerWillyb wrote:

No, nothing like that.  Too bad... it'd be an easy fix. :smileywink:

21 of 24 (1,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 6:22:39 AM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by Vorput on Aug 15, 2013 at 9:01:16 AM

I've got another technician coming out tomorrow.  Based upon the advice in this thread, I'm going to ask for a new modem to see if that helps.  I'm sure he'll also test my line.  Based upon the following modem stats (I don't have a new enough modem to use Uvrealtime unfortunately), is there anything else I should ask about or have him look at?

This is from the last 20 hours.  The problem (while still normally present around 6-7am and 6-7pm [longer outages]) is becoming more frequent with many very short drops.  Last night for example from 9pm onward, the DSL would cut out every 5 minutes or so for 20-30 seconds at a time.  This lasted at least until I went to bed at 1am.

Modem Capture.JPG

And again, this problem just started seemingly out of nowhere about a month ago.  I'm still occasionally seeing the message- especially when I'm noticing problems connecting.  Anything I can ask/do about that?

Excessive Impulse Noise1Interleaved mode recommended

Edit:  New issue.  Just started today.  The RG sometimes just... dies.  All the lights go out and it's like it has no power.  After a minute or two (or if I unplug it and plug it back in), it comes back on and works.  Guess it does lend support to the theory that it's just my modem...  Makes me hope the tech has a new one when he comes!

I've got another technician coming out tomorrow.  Based upon the advice in this thread, I'm going to ask for a new modem to see if that helps.  I'm sure he'll also test my line.  Based upon the following modem stats (I don't have a new enough modem to use Uvrealtime unfortunately), is there anything else I should ask about or have him look at?

This is from the last 20 hours.  The problem (while still normally present around 6-7am and 6-7pm [longer outages]) is becoming more frequent with many very short drops.  Last night for example from 9pm onward, the DSL would cut out every 5 minutes or so for 20-30 seconds at a time.  This lasted at least until I went to bed at 1am.

Modem Capture.JPG

And again, this problem just started seemingly out of nowhere about a month ago.  I'm still occasionally seeing the message- especially when I'm noticing problems connecting.  Anything I can ask/do about that?

Excessive Impulse Noise1Interleaved mode recommended

Edit:  New issue.  Just started today.  The RG sometimes just... dies.  All the lights go out and it's like it has no power.  After a minute or two (or if I unplug it and plug it back in), it comes back on and works.  Guess it does lend support to the theory that it's just my modem...  Makes me hope the tech has a new one when he comes!

[ Edited ]
22 of 24 (1,487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 7:04:06 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by Vorput on Aug 19, 2013 at 7:07:30 PM

Update!

Knowledgeable technician helped out a lot.  Whereas previously my Max User Rate was at 3600kbs (I have a 3mbps connection), it's now between 4300kbs and 4800kbs (the higher one most of the day, the lower one in the evenings presumably when more people are using the lines).  Also my noise margin has increased as well.  I think he made some changes to where my line was split and possibly shaved a couple hundred feet off my connection.

Anyway, the frequent drops in the evening and throughout the day are gone.  It still dropped out for 48 seconds on Friday evening at 6:58pm and 92 seconds on Monday evening at 6:58pm.  Which is totally manageable.  I'd still like to know why it drops at the same time on weekday evenings... but that's a mystery I can live with.  I'm also curious why it suddenly became a problem a month ago after working fine for over a year... 

But as long as the problem doesn't get worse again, I guess we're good.  I'll keep an eye on it this week and post back here in case anyone besides me was following this thread.

The big things seemed to be the difference between the two techs who came out.  The first one was up here from another area (3 hours away) and didn't do much.  The second one was local and really went out of his way to check the line and make good and helpful changes to it.  He was unhappy with the current RG they have in stock and so didn't give me a new one, reccomending that I wait for a few weeks till they roll new models out that are better.  He also seemed to think the changes he made to my line would fix it (and it appears he was right!)

Update!

Knowledgeable technician helped out a lot.  Whereas previously my Max User Rate was at 3600kbs (I have a 3mbps connection), it's now between 4300kbs and 4800kbs (the higher one most of the day, the lower one in the evenings presumably when more people are using the lines).  Also my noise margin has increased as well.  I think he made some changes to where my line was split and possibly shaved a couple hundred feet off my connection.

Anyway, the frequent drops in the evening and throughout the day are gone.  It still dropped out for 48 seconds on Friday evening at 6:58pm and 92 seconds on Monday evening at 6:58pm.  Which is totally manageable.  I'd still like to know why it drops at the same time on weekday evenings... but that's a mystery I can live with.  I'm also curious why it suddenly became a problem a month ago after working fine for over a year... 

But as long as the problem doesn't get worse again, I guess we're good.  I'll keep an eye on it this week and post back here in case anyone besides me was following this thread.

The big things seemed to be the difference between the two techs who came out.  The first one was up here from another area (3 hours away) and didn't do much.  The second one was local and really went out of his way to check the line and make good and helpful changes to it.  He was unhappy with the current RG they have in stock and so didn't give me a new one, reccomending that I wait for a few weeks till they roll new models out that are better.  He also seemed to think the changes he made to my line would fix it (and it appears he was right!)

[ Edited ]
23 of 24 (1,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 7:17:29 PM
(0)
Employee
For the time frame drop still recommend a UPS or battery system, purchase try it for a week if problem solved great, if not return for your money back and you have eliminated one possibility.
In the mean time good to hear things have improved, enjoy.
For the time frame drop still recommend a UPS or battery system, purchase try it for a week if problem solved great, if not return for your money back and you have eliminated one possibility.
In the mean time good to hear things have improved, enjoy.

24 of 24 (1,328 Views)