Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Impacted by the government shutdown? AT&T can help.  Learn more

Update Email Server Settings for AT&T Email

Community Support

Update Email Server Settings for AT&T Email

email.jpgRecent Changes with AT&T Email Servers Retiring

Customer Notification

In preparation for retiring the old e-mail servers, AT&T is sending customers e-mails notifying them of the change. Beginning the week of August 24, 2015 customers began receiving notification that the old e-mail servers are retiring on October 14, 2015.

If you have any trouble updating through the automated process, check out these steps to manually update your client email settings: here.

The automated AT&T E-mail Updater works with certain clients and has specific operating system (OS) and Browser limitations.

• OS Support
    • Windows: Windows 7, 8, and 8.1
    • Mac OS: OSX 10.6.8 or earlier
  • Browser Support
    • Mac OS: Use Safari 7 or earlier
    • Windows: Mozilla Firefox 3.6 or higher
    • Windows: Internet Explorer 9.0 or higher
  • E-mail Client Support
    • Mac Mail: Version installed on Mac OSX 10.6 or earlier
    • Microsoft Outlook 2003 SP3 or higher
    • Microsoft Outlook Express: Version pre-installed on Windows XP
    • Windows Live Mail: Versions installed on Windows XP and Windows 7/8

The customer selects Launch the AT&T E-mail Updater, to begin the automated process.

Once they run the tool, the POP and SMTP server settings update with the correct server settings listed below.

POP Server: inbound.att.net

SMTP Server: outbound.att.net (requires authentication)

Mail Ports: Incoming Mail Port #995: SSL Checked; Outgoing Mail Port #465: SSL Checked

email.jpg

by,

ATTU-verseCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 21
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by topic author Community Support
Accepted by ATTU-verseCare
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Update Email Server Settings for AT&T Email

For the automated process to update your email server, visit the AT&T E-mail Updater.

If you have any trouble updating through the automated process, check out these steps to manually update your client email settings: here.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 21
Contributor

DNS Server Settings

Many of our power users are interested in using their own TCP/IP stacks, dialers, non-supported operating systems, and/or other specialized Internet software. We provide this information to enable our customers to configure their preferred software.

All regions use the same DNS IPs:

• Primary: 68.94.156.1
  • Secondary: 68.94.157.1

AT&T Yahoo! E-mail Server Settings - All Customers

• AT&T's POP/SMTP settings changed to inbound.att.net and outbound.att.net. Customers can access a tool that will automatically update their server settings at att.com/updatesettings. If the tool does not work, it is due to the customer's equipment and the customer will have to manually update their settings. 
Message 3 of 21
Contributor

Not sure if this is the same issue, but within the past 3 weeks my wife's email account inbox messages just disappear, whether you read them or not.  And they are not in the junk, trash or deleted folders. We recently upgraded to Win 10 and Office 365 (outlook 2013). 

Set that up fine and was getting emails on her alias (she's secondary on my acct) like I said until a few weeks ago.  And it's not just outlook.  Same thing on the ATT.net mail site.  Funny thing too is her 5000 deleted emails are more than a year old.  Nothing recent.

Message 4 of 21
Administrator
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by davidbk
‎11-19-2015 10:38 AM

If you haven’t updated your email settings lately, log in online to the AT&T email updater tool to make sure your email application performs at its best.

Employee Contributor*
Message 5 of 21
Contributor

checked settings - they are all correct but still tried to run the auto-updater - live mail still not working.  I can sign on through the web site and look at and send mail but live maile asks for password over and over and never completes the process.  Just started today after record rains in North AL.

Message 6 of 21
Voyager

I have been dealt the same blow since January 2016. My @bellsouth.net mail no longer works with the windows live email client, outlook or windows 10 email client. I can only access that account through Yahoo webmail. The att email updater no longer exists, "webpage not found" and att CSR is no help. I refuse to let go of that email address as it was my first email account back in 1992 where I was in special services DLC crew working for BellSouth in Atlanta.

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 21
Contributor

I have followed all the instruction to set up my email through At&T.  I am using XP and Outlook Express.  The server will not recognize my computer.  I keep getting a request for the password.  I've tried everything through AT&T and they could not explain what the problem is.  I can connect to the Internet and using Comcast I can access email. Does anyone else have this problem?

Message 8 of 21
Contributor

hi ! my name is yongjian ***. my phone number ***. passcode ***. i need update my new email address (***). . thank you !

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Message 9 of 21
Contributor

My nightmare started after changing my AT&T service to u-verse on 9/28/2016. I have 2 e-mail addresses. Since the day AT&T tech came and did the change, cannot get any new e-mails on my Mac. Called AT&T internet support. Waisted more than 3 hours with the overseas support people.They said wait for another 30 mins and your e-mails will be OK. Not OK. Called again and this lady said it will cost $15.00 for them to get into my computer to correct.

Not doing that option. 
Thinking of calling Mac support? I am going to send a message to ATTU-verseCare as well. I regret changing it big time. M. Min

Message 10 of 21
Contributor

Re: Update Email Server Settings for AT

Had the same problem. Went to Yahoo and set up my emails with them and added passwords. Went back to my emails and they worked.

Lois

ATT support didn't tell me anything...had to figure it out myself.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Message 11 of 21
Contributor

Had the same problem. Went to Yahoo and set up my emails with them and added passwords. Went back to my emails and they worked.

Lois

ATT support didn't tell me anything...had to figure it out myself.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Message 12 of 21
Contributor

I have an ATT email, but have never used it since I got it in 2013.  After reading these emails from you folks, now, I'm very happy I never did depend on them, and now I know I never will!  The only reason I got it was because we got the Uverse, but I have been very happy with my private email with a small, VERY RELIABLE, company that has NEVER HAD ANY GLITCHES in the 10 years I've been with them, and has always been quick to respond to any problem (of which I've had very few) I've reported.  What I've read here leads me to believe that AT&T is such a large conglomerate now that they have lost touch with the customers they "serve".

Message 13 of 21
Contributor

ipod touch server settings and email password change

I recently changed my sbcglobal password and now I cannot get mail on my ipod touch. Can someone tell me what needs to be changed in order to get mail? I spent several hours with Apple and they said it must be related to the server settings. I have this sbcglobal.net mail address for years, and used the ipod for 2 years without problems until I changed my password. I changed my password due to Yahoo emails to me saying their network was hacked, and now I am left with this issue to deal with. Any help is much appreciated. 

• Incoming Mail Server
  • Account Type:IMAP
  • Username:curt.lillie@sbcglobal.net
  • Server hostname:imap.mail.att.net
  • Server port:993
  • Authentication:Password
  • SSL/TLS:Yes
  • Outgoing Mail Server
  • Username:curt.lillie@sbcglobal.net
  • Server hostname:smtp.mail.att.net
  • Server port:465
  • Authentication:Password
  • SSL/TLS:Yes

Also within the settings of ipod touch, advanced tab enables you to add IMAP Path Prefix, here I added my email address - is this correct?

Message 14 of 21
Contributor

Re: ipod touch server settings and email password change

I'm confused as well and having problems with the IMAP not deleting email across devices when I delete email on any device.

In searching, I found this link which outlines the correct settings depending on which ATT system you are subscribing to;

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/dsl-high-speed/KM1010523

Further, my issue/confusion surrounds a recent conversation with ATT tech support where the tech noted my server in/out should be;

In = imap.mail.yahoo.com

out = smtp.mail.yahoo.com

The remaining notations are the same as you [curtlilly] note.

If someone can address the current correct server details for IMAP (inbound server/port, SMTP server/port, etc) I'd be greatful.

BTW: on my ipad, when setting up email, it automatically registered inbound = imap.mail.att.net not the ATT tech's instructions of inbound = imap.mail.yahoo.com and outbound = smtp.mail.att.net not ATT tech's of inbound = smtp.mail.yahoo.com.

I'm simply confused with the differnces on in/outbound [att tech v. auto set-up] and the non-deleting across devices when one device deletes the email.

Guidance and help will be welcome.... Thank you in advance

Message 15 of 21
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!
Additional Support