Unable to receive email alert from my IP camera using ATT network

Contributor

Unable to receive email alert from my IP camera using ATT network

Hi, I recently switched from Comcast to ATT and using NVG589 gateway/router.

I have 5 IP cameras and 2 of them using ethernet cable and 3 using wireless.

I managed to get these camera working again with ATT network, except that when the alarm/alert is triggered by the camera, I don't receive email any longer.

I have no issue with comcast netwrok in the past, so I know all cameras are working just fine.

Of course I have setup the port forwarding for all the cameras and I can view the cameras from outside my LAN.

Is there any suggestion how to get this alert email to work again?

It may be my port forwarding setup is not 100% correct, I am using TCP instead of UDP, but I used TCP with comcast without issue.

Also, I found out (by accident) the email sometime work (90%) when I put the IP cameras on wireless network, this may be the key, but I don't know what is the different between wireless and CAT5 network (which plugged into 4 ports Netgear switch).

Thanks for the help,

Sinclair

Message 1 of 3

Re: Unable to receive email alert from my IP camera using ATT network

@sand8  wrote:

Hi, I rec

ently switched from Comcast to ATT and using NVG589 gateway/router.

I have 5 IP cameras and 2 of them using ethernet cable and 3 using wireless.

I managed to get these camera working again with ATT network, except that when the alarm/alert is triggered by the camera, I don't receive email any longer.

I have no issue with comcast netwrok in the past, so I know all cameras are working just fine.

Of course I have setup the port forwarding for all the cameras and I can view the cameras from outside my LAN.

Is there any suggestion how to get this alert email to work again?

It may be my port forwarding setup is not 100% correct, I am using TCP instead of UDP, but I used TCP with comcast without issue.

Also, I found out (by accident) the email sometime work (90%) when I put the IP cameras on wireless network, this may be the key, but I don't know what is the different between wireless and CAT5 network (which plugged into 4 ports Netgear switch).

Thanks for the help,

Sinclair

Did you do a factory reset on all the cameras before installing them on your new network, and reconfigure them from scratch?

Is there a central server/control program that runs on a computer that handles the email alerts, or do the cameras each send emails independently.

Is the email sent using the default email program on the computer, or does the cameras/software use their own proprietary email server? It could be the ports required for the email function are different from the ports for access to video streams and/or control.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 3
Contributor

Re: Unable to receive email alert from my IP camera using ATT network

To answer the questions:

Factory reset done, each camera has its own email setup.

For now, all my IP cameras are using Wireless setup and they have been working fine.

I still don't understand why same setup not working when using CAT5 connection. Anyway, further investigation needed if I have more time.

Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

Additional Support