Ask a question

Posted Aug 8, 2013
8:15:11 PM
View profile
U-Verse internet video streaming problems

I'm having connection issues and need some help. All of the streaming video (netflix, amazon, MLBtv) has color banding and pixilation. I've tried the watching the same movie on Blu Ray, then on Netflix, PS3, laptop, and my tv. The Blu Ray is flawless but the streaming videos look terrible. I'm supposed to be on a 18 mbps plan, I've used the speed test app and clocked my connection at about 15 mbps wireless. I had an AT&T tech check it out and he switched the routers and checked the inside and outside connections. Streaming video still looks awful. I had slower connection speed at a different address and it looked fine.

Test results from NPAD:

Test conditions
Tester: 64.9.225.149 (64.9.225.149) [?]
Target: 99-0-28-203.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net (99.0.28.203) [?]
Logfile base name: ::ffff:99.0.28.203-2013-08-09-02:50:53 [?]
This report is based on a 10 Mb/s target application data rate [?]
Warning: The section RTT is greater than the requested target RTT (80 > 20) [?]
This report is based on a 81 ms Round-Trip-Time (RTT) to the target application [?]
Original target RTT was: 20 ms. [?]
The Round Trip Time for this path section is 80.000000 ms.
The Maximum Segment Size for this path section is 1460 Bytes. [?]
Target host TCP configuration test: Warning! [?]
Warning: TCP connection is not using RFC1323 timestamps. [?]
Diagnosis: The target (client) is not properly configured. [?]
Warnings reflect problems that might not affect target end-to-end performance. [?]
>  See TCP tuning instructions at http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/tcptune/ [?]
Path measurements [?]
The path to the tester is too long for accurate measurements.
>  Test a shorter path section or reduce the target data rate and/or RTT. [?]
Data rate test: Pass! [?]
Pass data rate check: maximum data rate was 17.659719 Mb/s [?]
Loss rate test: Pass! [?]
Pass: measured loss rate 0.001590% (62908 packets between loss events). [?]
FYI: To get 10 Mb/s with a 1460 byte MSS on a 81 ms path the total end-to-end loss budget is 0.167224% (598 packets between losses). [?]
Suggestions for alternate tests
FYI: This path may even pass with a more strenuous application: [?]
    Try rate=10 Mb/s, rtt=205 ms
    Try rate=17 Mb/s, rtt=116 ms
Or if you can raise the MTU: [?]
    Try rate=10 Mb/s, rtt=1264 ms, mtu=9000 bytes
    Try rate=17 Mb/s, rtt=715 ms, mtu=9000 bytes
Network buffering test: Warning! [?]
This test did not complete due to other problems with the path, target or tester.
>  Correct other problems first, and then rerun this test. [?]
Estimated queue size is at least: Pkts: 34 Bytes: 49640 
This is probably an underestimate of the actual queue size. [?]
This corresponds to a 36.034358 ms drain time. [?]
To get 10 Mb/s with on a 81 ms path, you need 101250 bytes of buffer space. [?]
Tester validation: Pass! [?]
No internal tester problems were detected.
Tester version: $Id: pathdiag.py,v 1.47 2009/06/10 21:19:57 mathis Exp $

M-LAB NDT Results Notice the 52ms jitter time: 

test.png

U-Verse internet video streaming problems

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2013 9:48:19 AM
(0)
Administrator

Welcome to the Community sfoulk1, we're happy to have you! Are you still having trouble with streaming? If you can send us a private message one of our awesome managers will gladly do everything he/she can to help. Simply click here and send us your full name, account number, contact information and the best time you can be reached. 

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: U-Verse internet video streaming problems

2 of 13 (3,743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 11:50:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

You're speeds are well within the limits of UVerse.  I have 2 Roku devices and they are both wireless as well as 2 wirelessly connected tvs and they both work just fine and we only have the 12Mbps download. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 13 (3,715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 1:41:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

Do you observe macroblocking on your  streaming video or U-verse TV?

4 of 13 (3,708 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 1:46:14 PM
(0)
Employee

Check to see if you have any BitTorrent running.

IF so, engage the throttles (usually reduce the upload bandwidth) and try again.

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 13 (3,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 3:48:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

I don't use any P2P file shares.

6 of 13 (3,683 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2013 3:32:45 PM
(0)
Teacher
Tech changed vrad cards now the TV pq looks great! But still getting macro blocking on streaming. Any thoughts?

7 of 13 (3,628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2013 11:08:39 AM
(0)
Teacher
Well that didn't last long. Now I have a noticeable stutter on a few channels. It appears to be playing one frame at a time. Had to reboot my router three times, plus change the wifi channel to a specific channel then back to automatic detect before I could get anything to connect to the Wi-Fi.

8 of 13 (3,578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 8:04:39 AM
(0)
Employee

sfoulk1 wrote:
Well that didn't last long. Now I have a noticeable stutter on a few channels. It appears to be playing one frame at a time. Had to reboot my router three times, plus change the wifi channel to a specific channel then back to automatic detect before I could get anything to connect to the Wi-Fi.

If your network is setup such that the STBs are on the same switch as one or more STBs (or DVR), it would be good to separate them. For example, the STBs connect (directly or through a switch) to the RG Ethernet port, and the PCs connect (directly or through a DIFFERENT switch) to another port of the RG, and if you're using a separate access point (or router acting as an access point) then it could connect directly to the RG or on the same switch as the PCs. 

One possible issue could be the multicast traffic of the STBs/DVR could be eating up the bandwidth available to your wireless feed. For any of the 802.11 2.4GHz protocols, the BEST throughput you could hope for is ~22Mbps (54Mb is a signaling rate, not a data throughput rate), signal strength (distance) and noise or other interference subtract from that. If you also have STB/DVR traffic that also hits that wireless, you're losing from 2 to 6 Mb of throughput per discreet chanel viewed (i.e., one channel <=6Mb, two channels, <=12Mb, three channels <=18Mb ...)

The RG can block the multicast traffic because it uses a protocol (IGMPv3) to prevent the traffic from going anywhere except to the ports that request it. Most SOHO switches only support up to IGMPv2, which (in the case of U-verse traffic) won't work. Other higher-end switcheds that also implement IGMPv3 also work just fine. The basic idea is to separate the video/audio multicast traffic from the usual PC / Internet traffic.

Also, if you have anything plugged into the Ethernet jack on the back of a coax-connected or wireless STB, disconnect it, it's not a supported configuration.

To choose a good wireless channel, download and run inSSIDer (http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/). It will show you the local WiFi traffic and possibly some interferers. Select the clearest of channels 1, 6, or 11 and set it up on your RG or AP.

Sent from my phone.

9 of 13 (3,544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 1:13:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply. Unfortunately I'm too much of green horn to understand some of what you wrote. Is there somewhere that explains how to configure your router? I currenly have 4 devices connected to the RG by ethernet cables: the main TV STB, smart tv, PS3 and the wi-fi access point for two wireless STBs, and I don't run any of that simultaneously.

After manually switching router channels then setting it back to the default automatic connection, I haven't had any wireless connection issues. However, I am still periodically observing pixilation, macroblocking, and image stutter (like I mentioned above) on ethernet connected devices. When the last tech changed cards he said they bumped me up to 32mbps. He also mentioned that I am 3100' from the vrad on a single wire, not sure if that matters at all.

10 of 13 (3,523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 2:01:04 PM
(0)
Employee
Contact tier support and ask for your profile to be lowered to 25M, this will help .
At 3100 feet on a singe pair cannot effectively support 32M profile, the line distance with lower noise margin is basically guaranteed freezing and pixel issues.
No need for a tech visit, if tier 1 will not do then ask for tier 2 escalation.
Suspect issue is over saturation of upstream, affecting downstream.

Is this single family home, a condo or apartment building?

Generally that distance is automatically a bonded pair inid or very new 589 RG.
Which RG do you have the 3800 (doubtful), the 3801, or 589. Cannot be i38hg as tech stated single pair.

Four devices with four Ethernet cables issues is not switch related (external switch plugged into one port that has both pc and tv connections)

If issues persist after lowering profile to 25M, then next step is to be considered for pair bonding,
if MDU cannot have iNID, if no extra pair available this would be denied.

11 of 13 (3,514 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 5:46:49 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks again I'll call about lowering the bandwidth. I'll have to check the RG model, they just swapped it ou with a different model. We're a single family home. I'll post my lates UV realtime when I get home, they error log looks pretty ugly.

Can you explain this for me, there are a lot of acronyms there that I'm not familiar with :

If issues persist after lowering profile to 25M, then next step is to be considered for pair bonding,
if MDU cannot have iNID, if no extra pair available this would be denied.

12 of 13 (3,432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 9:17:22 AM
(0)
Teacher

so they set up a pair bond connection and gave me a NVG589 RG, I think my profile is still at 25. Can it support 32? Still having connection issues, and u-verse TV channels picture look bad when I first turn to them then they almost seem to buffer and improve. PQ comes and goes on the same channel (loses sharpness/resolution) and I still notice an image stutter. Streaming video still looks bad too.

13 of 13 (3,372 Views)