Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted May 31, 2013
11:49:51 AM
View profile
U-Verse Ping is terrible

I switched from DSL to U-Verse and my in-game ping is now 60 ms instead of 30 ms. And yes it makes a big difference for this particular game, it cant even be enjoyed now. And yes my packet settings are optmized

U-Verse is simply terrible for games, and there is NO solution for this ping problem. Helper posters arent going to say there is no solution, because that sounds unprofessional and awkard. So they will invent replies in their minds such as "no it doesnt matter anyway unless your game designers didnt design the game well for various pings" or "Try different packet settings on your OS"

You think they would say "Sorry, youre right, theres no solution, you cant play your game well now" ?? no of course they wont say that, theyd go into psychological denial and invent an optimistic reply.

But the fact is, I play Subspace Continuum and with a 60 MS ping , if someone is attached to me, i cant warp in time to avoid enemy fire from hitting us both, the lag will cause the other player to die -- whereas with DSL there would be much less lag.

so YES its true that U-verse is far inferior ping to DSL and YES its true there is no solution and its an inherent design flaw, and NO people who want to help arent going to admit this problem and their being no solution, they will HAVE to invent an optimistic reply in their imagination.

NOTHING CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS.

I switched from DSL to U-Verse and my in-game ping is now 60 ms instead of 30 ms. And yes it makes a big difference for this particular game, it cant even be enjoyed now. And yes my packet settings are optmized

U-Verse is simply terrible for games, and there is NO solution for this ping problem. Helper posters arent going to say there is no solution, because that sounds unprofessional and awkard. So they will invent replies in their minds such as "no it doesnt matter anyway unless your game designers didnt design the game well for various pings" or "Try different packet settings on your OS"

You think they would say "Sorry, youre right, theres no solution, you cant play your game well now" ?? no of course they wont say that, theyd go into psychological denial and invent an optimistic reply.

But the fact is, I play Subspace Continuum and with a 60 MS ping , if someone is attached to me, i cant warp in time to avoid enemy fire from hitting us both, the lag will cause the other player to die -- whereas with DSL there would be much less lag.

so YES its true that U-verse is far inferior ping to DSL and YES its true there is no solution and its an inherent design flaw, and NO people who want to help arent going to admit this problem and their being no solution, they will HAVE to invent an optimistic reply in their imagination.

NOTHING CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS.

U-Verse Ping is terrible

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2013 12:08:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on May 31, 2013 at 12:11:45 PM

An addition of 20ms or so is from the interleaving on VDSL internet for error correction on TV, still applies if no TV.  Can't really change that unluckily. 

Regular DSL is being discontinued from the Central Office, all (VDSL and IPDSLAM ADSL 2/2+) is coming out of VRADs now. Smiley Wink

Edit:  Did get a 43ms ping at pingtest.net here in metro Detroit.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

An addition of 20ms or so is from the interleaving on VDSL internet for error correction on TV, still applies if no TV.  Can't really change that unluckily. 

Regular DSL is being discontinued from the Central Office, all (VDSL and IPDSLAM ADSL 2/2+) is coming out of VRADs now. Smiley Wink

Edit:  Did get a 43ms ping at pingtest.net here in metro Detroit.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: U-Verse Ping is terrible

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (2,008 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2013 7:41:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Here in the metro Chicago area, I generally get ping times around 30 mSec when I run speed tests.  Occassionally, I see them into the mid 40's.  I don't think I've ever seen them over 60 unless I was testing with a server over 1000 miles away, or with a heavily overloaded server.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Here in the metro Chicago area, I generally get ping times around 30 mSec when I run speed tests.  Occassionally, I see them into the mid 40's.  I don't think I've ever seen them over 60 unless I was testing with a server over 1000 miles away, or with a heavily overloaded server.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 4 (1,954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2013 1:55:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

As others have said, the VDSL2 protocol does add 10 to 20 ms to ping time, due to how the data is interleaved between packets on the wire.  This could result in what would have been a 25 ms ping time being raised to 35 to 45 ms.  It should not result in you getting 60 ms.  There could be a routing issue causing your packets to take a different route.

You could try changing your DNS settings on your computer to Google's, or OpenDNS and seeing if that helps you.

You didn't give us any traceroutes or PINGs to look at to try to confirm or assist you in your issue.

As others have said, the VDSL2 protocol does add 10 to 20 ms to ping time, due to how the data is interleaved between packets on the wire.  This could result in what would have been a 25 ms ping time being raised to 35 to 45 ms.  It should not result in you getting 60 ms.  There could be a routing issue causing your packets to take a different route.

You could try changing your DNS settings on your computer to Google's, or OpenDNS and seeing if that helps you.

You didn't give us any traceroutes or PINGs to look at to try to confirm or assist you in your issue.

4 of 4 (1,686 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments