Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Aug 18, 2009
9:18:43 AM
Trouble connecting work laptop at home using VPN
My work laptop has no problem connecting via Cisco VPN from hotels, at work, etc. From home, using my AT&T connection via 2Wire modem/router, it cannot connect reliably or when it does, it is miserably slow and will not connect to networked drives ... must be a setting somewhere in the dsl modem/router to enable VPN support ? Anyone have any ideas how to get a Cisco VPN connection working on an AT&T 2Wire dsl modem/router ? thanks
My work laptop has no problem connecting via Cisco VPN from hotels, at work, etc. From home, using my AT&T connection via 2Wire modem/router, it cannot connect reliably or when it does, it is miserably slow and will not connect to networked drives ... must be a setting somewhere in the dsl modem/router to enable VPN support ? Anyone have any ideas how to get a Cisco VPN connection working on an AT&T 2Wire dsl modem/router ? thanks

Trouble connecting work laptop at home using VPN

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2009 11:11:53 AM
(0)
Guru

I think it has something to do with the ports. From what I remember, 2Wire routers usually have to allow or open ports for VPN/other software access. And sometimes, they are just not compatible. I am not quite sure though. Have you tried calling your VPN provider? Does it need any specific requirement to run smoothly on a 2Wire device?

Try going to http://gateway.2wire.net website. You can easily see the 2Wire settings from that page.

But do not make any changes yet. It is best that you have an AT&T 2Wire tech support walking you through in checking these settings.

Good luck! :smileyhappy:

I think it has something to do with the ports. From what I remember, 2Wire routers usually have to allow or open ports for VPN/other software access. And sometimes, they are just not compatible. I am not quite sure though. Have you tried calling your VPN provider? Does it need any specific requirement to run smoothly on a 2Wire device?

Try going to http://gateway.2wire.net website. You can easily see the 2Wire settings from that page.

But do not make any changes yet. It is best that you have an AT&T 2Wire tech support walking you through in checking these settings.

Good luck! :smileyhappy:

Re: Trouble connecting work laptop at home using VPN

2 of 10 (7,639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2009 4:22:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

Earlier today, during an online chat with AT&T from work I was told to bring the work laptop home, connect it, and then contact AT&T support, requesting 2nd tier support for the 2wire dsl modem/router and they would help me to establish my VPN connection. I just contacted AT&T support from home and the told me they don't support 3rd party things like VPN. I asked them to forward me to someone who could cancel my dsl account and they connected me to a recording that said the office was closed. Great. Ugh.

Earlier today, during an online chat with AT&T from work I was told to bring the work laptop home, connect it, and then contact AT&T support, requesting 2nd tier support for the 2wire dsl modem/router and they would help me to establish my VPN connection. I just contacted AT&T support from home and the told me they don't support 3rd party things like VPN. I asked them to forward me to someone who could cancel my dsl account and they connected me to a recording that said the office was closed. Great. Ugh.

3 of 10 (7,639 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2009 7:38:07 AM
(0)
Tutor
You are right about them not supporting it, although good luck finding a provider that will (and actually has someone that can help you) What you need is found on this page: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401474 Instructions on how to forward ports on your modem (very easy stuff actually) if the version of the screen shots do not match up with what you see, let me know. What I would do would be to find out the ports that your VPN needs to run (your admin can give you this, or tell you how to find them) then I would use the section for "To create a user-defined application:" there is no hyper link down into this document, but that is the section for you. :smileyhappy: Let me know if this helps!
You are right about them not supporting it, although good luck finding a provider that will (and actually has someone that can help you) What you need is found on this page: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401474 Instructions on how to forward ports on your modem (very easy stuff actually) if the version of the screen shots do not match up with what you see, let me know. What I would do would be to find out the ports that your VPN needs to run (your admin can give you this, or tell you how to find them) then I would use the section for "To create a user-defined application:" there is no hyper link down into this document, but that is the section for you. :smileyhappy: Let me know if this helps!

4 of 10 (7,639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2009 8:47:32 AM
(0)
Guru

Sigh... Sorry to hear about that.

Elite_Computing did provide a good link to configure the 2Wire's ports. You may allow a new application if you know what the port range and other settings are.

I found additional helpful links too. Try visiting this site below:

http://support.2wire.com/index.php?page=search&text=VPN&cat=&sort=rel

Good Luck! :smileyhappy:

Sigh... Sorry to hear about that.

Elite_Computing did provide a good link to configure the 2Wire's ports. You may allow a new application if you know what the port range and other settings are.

I found additional helpful links too. Try visiting this site below:

http://support.2wire.com/index.php?page=search&text=VPN&cat=&sort=rel

Good Luck! :smileyhappy:

5 of 10 (7,639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2009 2:28:23 PM
(0)
Contributor
Check the MTU settings in your 2Wire. Make sure they are set correctly. you want the value to be less that 1492.
Check the MTU settings in your 2Wire. Make sure they are set correctly. you want the value to be less that 1492.

6 of 10 (7,639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2009 8:56:58 AM
(0)
Tutor
Generally with MTU I would think it would connect, and not pass data? I could be wrong with how MTU would affect a VPN connection.
Generally with MTU I would think it would connect, and not pass data? I could be wrong with how MTU would affect a VPN connection.

7 of 10 (7,639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2009 5:34:15 PM
(0)
Guru
I agree. I don't think that the MTU setting has anything to do with the VPN connection with the 2Wire. Have you already tried allowing the ports on the 2Wire?
I agree. I don't think that the MTU setting has anything to do with the VPN connection with the 2Wire. Have you already tried allowing the ports on the 2Wire?

8 of 10 (7,639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2009 10:23:15 PM
(0)
Tutor
if you are using a 2wire 2701, you can go to the modem's interface usually, default gateway is 192.168.1.254 but check ipconfig just to make sure. then go to the firewall settings. select the name of the network. then select ALLOW INDIVIDUAL APPLICATIONS. the next step is if you know the specific port to open. there is an ADD A NEW USER DEFINITION to create your own. otherwise, if you are not sure with the correct settings, running in DMZ mode would make your connection less secured.
if you are using a 2wire 2701, you can go to the modem's interface usually, default gateway is 192.168.1.254 but check ipconfig just to make sure. then go to the firewall settings. select the name of the network. then select ALLOW INDIVIDUAL APPLICATIONS. the next step is if you know the specific port to open. there is an ADD A NEW USER DEFINITION to create your own. otherwise, if you are not sure with the correct settings, running in DMZ mode would make your connection less secured.

9 of 10 (7,639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2013 11:56:26 AM
(0)
Voyager

Exact same problem. I was able to use VPN 2 weeks ago, and now I can’t VPN from home (to work) on 3 different computers within my home. I can take the laptop to Starbucks, or use wireless anywhere else and it works fine. Replaced the modem, still no VPN. I’m getting very close to cancelling ATT wireless and going back to Time Warner!

Exact same problem. I was able to use VPN 2 weeks ago, and now I can’t VPN from home (to work) on 3 different computers within my home. I can take the laptop to Starbucks, or use wireless anywhere else and it works fine. Replaced the modem, still no VPN. I’m getting very close to cancelling ATT wireless and going back to Time Warner!

10 of 10 (4,199 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments