Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Jun 8, 2013
6:49:18 PM
View profile
Sudden problem with Thunderbird not being able to send e-mail

I am getting the following message when I send a e-mail:

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  Transaction failed : Cannot send message due to possible abuse; please visit http://postmaster.yahoo.com/abuse_smtp.html for more information. Please check the message and try again.

I did a online chat with ATT and got no where.  I have been using ATT mail for years and Thunderbird for several years.  Does anyone have any ideas?

I am getting the following message when I send a e-mail:

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  Transaction failed : Cannot send message due to possible abuse; please visit http://postmaster.yahoo.com/abuse_smtp.html for more information. Please check the message and try again.

I did a online chat with ATT and got no where.  I have been using ATT mail for years and Thunderbird for several years.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Sudden problem with Thunderbird not being able to send e-mail

23 replies
(9) Me too
(9) Me too
View all replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2013 11:06:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've had the same problem. I went here: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401738&cv=804#fbid=UlfdNYh9MhR

and got some other settings but it has not solved my problem. Earlier I found another page (sorry but I can't locate it now) that listed all the port settings for inbound and outbound mail. I followed that according to how my email ends (Bellsouth) but it has not solved the problem.

I believe this situation is due to ATT'a new 'version' of web mail. I am certainly not a fan.

Good luck. Maybe some others will have some solutions tomorrow. I have been researching both ATT and Thunderbird sites all day trying to find a solution. So far, nothing has worked.

I've had the same problem. I went here: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401738&cv=804#fbid=UlfdNYh9MhR

and got some other settings but it has not solved my problem. Earlier I found another page (sorry but I can't locate it now) that listed all the port settings for inbound and outbound mail. I followed that according to how my email ends (Bellsouth) but it has not solved the problem.

I believe this situation is due to ATT'a new 'version' of web mail. I am certainly not a fan.

Good luck. Maybe some others will have some solutions tomorrow. I have been researching both ATT and Thunderbird sites all day trying to find a solution. So far, nothing has worked.

Re: Sudden problem with Thunderbird not being able to send e-mail

3 of 24 (1,872 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2013 11:38:36 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by bpindar on Jun 8, 2013 at 11:40:33 PM

These settings work with Outlook Express, but the settings fail with Thunderbird

POP3 settings

pop.att.yahoo.com port 995 and SSL

SMTP settings

smtp.att.yahoo.com port 465 and SSL

The same thing happened last year and the problem was the Yahoo SMTP server spam filter.

https://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/topics/all_sent_messages_regarded_as_abuse?page=2

These settings work with Outlook Express, but the settings fail with Thunderbird

POP3 settings

pop.att.yahoo.com port 995 and SSL

SMTP settings

smtp.att.yahoo.com port 465 and SSL

The same thing happened last year and the problem was the Yahoo SMTP server spam filter.

https://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/topics/all_sent_messages_regarded_as_abuse?page=2

[ Edited ]
4 of 24 (1,866 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2013 12:11:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

Quick workaround

On Thunderbird go to Tools, Account Settings, and blank out your Reply-to Address

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2716679

Quick workaround

On Thunderbird go to Tools, Account Settings, and blank out your Reply-to Address

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2716679

5 of 24 (1,865 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2013 10:53:33 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hello,

I've spent all day trying to research this problem. I have used Thunderbird with ATT for over 4 years now and it worked fine until 6-8-2013. I can receive messages in Thunderbird but I cannot send OUT. I also have Apple Mail and it was working okay until later in the day. I changed the POP3 and SMTP settings for that and it works.

But Thunderbird is my favorite client and I have over 100 folders already set up. I can send out through Apple Mail, and also web ATT mail and it gets delivered into Thunderbird, as it should. But I still cannot send any messages out via Thunderbird.

I get a variety of error messages: "Transaction failed: cannot send message due to possible abuse; please visit http://postmaster.yahoo.com/abuse_smtp.html for more info." (the link noted only gives me info on OUTLOOK, and not Thunderbird.)

I have also gotten this error: "Message could not be sent becasue the connection to SMTP server outbound.att.net was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again." When I try again, I get the message I first listed.

It is a vicious circle of confusion. I have found the inbound and outbound settings and also the port settings and have adjusted everything. It will not send out messages. I also read at the bottom of one ATT page that the older settings (smtp.att.yahoo.com) will STILL work. Well, they are NOT working, otherwise I would still have been able to send out mail.

I've been to Thunderbird's site too and it looks like they DO support the POP3 protocol now. So what is the problem? I have double checked all these settings over and over again. I even downloaded the silly ATT 'set up mail' app, as well as the troubleshooting app. And still they both confirm that my settings are CORRECT! So what gives, ATT?

If anyone has tried anything else please let me know. Is there a different port to use for outbound mail????? Other than the 465 listed on their 'help' pages? If anyone can help please, PLEASE respond.

If I cannot use Thunderbird then I would just as soon cancel my ATT account and that includes the landline phone my mother uses, plus of course my own internet access. I can get my mother a cell phone that is cheaper than ATT and I can also find a better internet provider. (just in case any ATT customer service reps are reading this, but I highly doubt it)

Thanks for any help!!!!

(fed up in Tennessee)

Hello,

I've spent all day trying to research this problem. I have used Thunderbird with ATT for over 4 years now and it worked fine until 6-8-2013. I can receive messages in Thunderbird but I cannot send OUT. I also have Apple Mail and it was working okay until later in the day. I changed the POP3 and SMTP settings for that and it works.

But Thunderbird is my favorite client and I have over 100 folders already set up. I can send out through Apple Mail, and also web ATT mail and it gets delivered into Thunderbird, as it should. But I still cannot send any messages out via Thunderbird.

I get a variety of error messages: "Transaction failed: cannot send message due to possible abuse; please visit http://postmaster.yahoo.com/abuse_smtp.html for more info." (the link noted only gives me info on OUTLOOK, and not Thunderbird.)

I have also gotten this error: "Message could not be sent becasue the connection to SMTP server outbound.att.net was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again." When I try again, I get the message I first listed.

It is a vicious circle of confusion. I have found the inbound and outbound settings and also the port settings and have adjusted everything. It will not send out messages. I also read at the bottom of one ATT page that the older settings (smtp.att.yahoo.com) will STILL work. Well, they are NOT working, otherwise I would still have been able to send out mail.

I've been to Thunderbird's site too and it looks like they DO support the POP3 protocol now. So what is the problem? I have double checked all these settings over and over again. I even downloaded the silly ATT 'set up mail' app, as well as the troubleshooting app. And still they both confirm that my settings are CORRECT! So what gives, ATT?

If anyone has tried anything else please let me know. Is there a different port to use for outbound mail????? Other than the 465 listed on their 'help' pages? If anyone can help please, PLEASE respond.

If I cannot use Thunderbird then I would just as soon cancel my ATT account and that includes the landline phone my mother uses, plus of course my own internet access. I can get my mother a cell phone that is cheaper than ATT and I can also find a better internet provider. (just in case any ATT customer service reps are reading this, but I highly doubt it)

Thanks for any help!!!!

(fed up in Tennessee)

Trouble with new ATT POP3 settings and Thunderbird version 17.0 (OS10)

2 of 24 (1,871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2013 10:56:04 AM
(0)
Contributor

I found that when I changed my return address from: myaddress@att.net

to: < My Name > myaddress@att.net

it started working and it has worked ever since.

I found that when I changed my return address from: myaddress@att.net

to: < My Name > myaddress@att.net

it started working and it has worked ever since.

6 of 24 (1,832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2013 1:07:45 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by dfsolar on Jun 9, 2013 at 1:09:46 PM

I just registered for this community after reading this thread. I did as this poster suggested and my email is now working! Hope it stays that way! What a horrible waste of time. Thanks ATT!!

Note: Took out the reply to: in the mail settings in case you don't see that in previous post

I just registered for this community after reading this thread. I did as this poster suggested and my email is now working! Hope it stays that way! What a horrible waste of time. Thanks ATT!!

Note: Took out the reply to: in the mail settings in case you don't see that in previous post

[ Edited ]
7 of 24 (1,818 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2013 1:58:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

If you do not blank out your Reply-to Address, this specification, within Thunderbird (Tools - Account Settings), will also work:

<myaddress@att.net>   MyName

If you do not blank out your Reply-to Address, this specification, within Thunderbird (Tools - Account Settings), will also work:

<myaddress@att.net>   MyName

8 of 24 (1,811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 12:46:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

Problem has been resolved. After spending 3 hours with AT&T and getting nowhere, I found your message and the answer. If you haven't seen the response, change your "reply to" message in accounts to include your name! Or you can leave that portion blank.

Problem has been resolved. After spending 3 hours with AT&T and getting nowhere, I found your message and the answer. If you haven't seen the response, change your "reply to" message in accounts to include your name! Or you can leave that portion blank.

Re: Trouble with new ATT POP3 settings and Thunderbird version 17.0 (OS10)

9 of 24 (1,741 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 1:37:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have been dealing with this since yesterday. I called support to be told I could buy support for $15 a month or pay for a tech for $49. I was at the point of making a new email account with another service.

Thanks for finding a solution to this huge mess. I'm certain it is because of the email upgrade. I could send mail online or from my phone and my iPad so I knew I wasn't listed as an abuser.

Sheesh!

I have been dealing with this since yesterday. I called support to be told I could buy support for $15 a month or pay for a tech for $49. I was at the point of making a new email account with another service.

Thanks for finding a solution to this huge mess. I'm certain it is because of the email upgrade. I could send mail online or from my phone and my iPad so I knew I wasn't listed as an abuser.

Sheesh!

10 of 24 (1,731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 3:23:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

I now have another problem. I get repeated emails that I've already received. So far I have probably deleted 800 or 900 repeated emails.

If anyone has a fix for this I would appreciate it. I'm really about ready to go make an email address somewhere else.

I now have another problem. I get repeated emails that I've already received. So far I have probably deleted 800 or 900 repeated emails.

If anyone has a fix for this I would appreciate it. I'm really about ready to go make an email address somewhere else.

11 of 24 (1,722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 3:38:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

It is not the reply to address that is causing the problem. It is an alias email address. If your att email is dingbat@att.net and you have another email address that forwards the email to dingbat@att.net such as mybuddy@buddyemail.com, it is the alias email address that att objects to. If you change the reply to email address to an att email address for your account, it works fine.

I thought when you register the names of your alias accounts during the yahoo/att email options setup, that was supposed to have solved the issue. Apparently it does not.

It is not the reply to address that is causing the problem. It is an alias email address. If your att email is dingbat@att.net and you have another email address that forwards the email to dingbat@att.net such as mybuddy@buddyemail.com, it is the alias email address that att objects to. If you change the reply to email address to an att email address for your account, it works fine.

I thought when you register the names of your alias accounts during the yahoo/att email options setup, that was supposed to have solved the issue. Apparently it does not.

12 of 24 (1,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 3:47:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

DARN I wish that was the problem, but I don't have any aliases. I just like to use Thunderbird to read my email and sort it into folders if I wish.

This is maddening.

Thanks for the reply though.

DARN I wish that was the problem, but I don't have any aliases. I just like to use Thunderbird to read my email and sort it into folders if I wish.

This is maddening.

Thanks for the reply though.

13 of 24 (1,719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 4:52:45 PM
(0)
Tutor

Make sure you enclose your Reply-to Address within an opening less-than sign and closing greater-than sign <myaddress@att.net> and then follow that by your text-name which does not have to be quoted.

The mail will be sent if you don't use the paired <> followed by your text-name, but the Reply-To field will be blank in the receipients email.

Make sure you enclose your Reply-to Address within an opening less-than sign and closing greater-than sign <myaddress@att.net> and then follow that by your text-name which does not have to be quoted.

The mail will be sent if you don't use the paired <> followed by your text-name, but the Reply-To field will be blank in the receipients email.

14 of 24 (1,713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2013 12:19:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

This caused another problem. People can not reply to your emails!!! Under account settings, remove your name. You can have it in reply to or you can leave that area plank. I think this resolves all of the problems.

This caused another problem. People can not reply to your emails!!! Under account settings, remove your name. You can have it in reply to or you can leave that area plank. I think this resolves all of the problems.

15 of 24 (1,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2013 12:42:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have had this problem as well. I'm trying your fix. Thanks for posting it.

I have had this problem as well. I'm trying your fix. Thanks for posting it.

16 of 24 (1,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2013 7:43:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have been using email for years and don't understand the string that you want me to enter.

I'm used to:

"My Full Name" <something@somewhere.else>

My Full Name <something@somewhere.else>

something@somewhere.else

It seems that you are asking that we use:

<something@somewhere.else> "My Full Name"

<something@somewhere.else> My Full Name

In addition to this confusion, others in this thread suggest removing all content from the Reply-To: field.

You, instead, suggest that we put some email address string there.

T'bird and AT&T/yahoo email still won't play nice,

~~~ 0;-Dan

I have been using email for years and don't understand the string that you want me to enter.

I'm used to:

"My Full Name" <something@somewhere.else>

My Full Name <something@somewhere.else>

something@somewhere.else

It seems that you are asking that we use:

<something@somewhere.else> "My Full Name"

<something@somewhere.else> My Full Name

In addition to this confusion, others in this thread suggest removing all content from the Reply-To: field.

You, instead, suggest that we put some email address string there.

T'bird and AT&T/yahoo email still won't play nice,

~~~ 0;-Dan

17 of 24 (1,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2013 7:38:30 AM
(0)
Teacher

Okay,

I'm looking at my account settings, the initial page.

Account name - your email address

Your name - if you want you can enter your name of leave it blank

Email Address - your email address

Reply-to-Address - blank (greyed out - "Recipients will reply to this other address")

Organization - blank

don't use carrots <>

Hope this helps.

Okay,

I'm looking at my account settings, the initial page.

Account name - your email address

Your name - if you want you can enter your name of leave it blank

Email Address - your email address

Reply-to-Address - blank (greyed out - "Recipients will reply to this other address")

Organization - blank

don't use carrots <>

Hope this helps.

18 of 24 (1,508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 1:13:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

So it is July 23, 2013 and I too am having the same issue as everyone else - - I can't send email to via Thunderbird to anyone with a Bellsouth or an att.net email address.  I have Uverse Internet as my provider.  

I have removed everything from the "Reply To" field in account settings and STILL emails are being rejected.  I sent an email this morning to 10 people.  The 3 with att.net and bellsouth addresses were returned 6 hours later (I inserted "XXXXXX" to protect their privacy.  

Any clue how to resolve this?  It is driving me crazy and almost enough for me to go back to Comcast!!

<XXXXXXX@att.net>:
Connected to 204.127.217.21 but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 521-69.89.19.47 blocked by sbc:blacklist.mailrelay.att.net.
521 DNSRBL: Blocked for abuse. See http://att.net/blocks

<XXXXXXXX@fultonschools.org>:
64.235.154.66 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550 Service unavailable; Client host [outbound-ss-1478.bluehost.com] blocked using Barracuda Reputation; http://www.barracudanetworks.com/reputation/?r=1&ip=69.89.19.47 (XXXXXXX@fultonschools.org:blocked)

<XXXXXXX@bellsouth.net>:
Connected to 207.115.11.16 but greeting failed.
Remote host said: 550-69.89.19.47 blocked by ldapSmiley Surprisedu=rblmx,dc=att,dc=net
550 Error - Blocked for abuse. See http://att.net/blocks

<XXXXXXX@bellsouth.net>:
Remote host said: 550-69.89.19.47 blocked by ldapSmiley Surprisedu=rblmx,dc=att,dc=net

So it is July 23, 2013 and I too am having the same issue as everyone else - - I can't send email to via Thunderbird to anyone with a Bellsouth or an att.net email address.  I have Uverse Internet as my provider.  

I have removed everything from the "Reply To" field in account settings and STILL emails are being rejected.  I sent an email this morning to 10 people.  The 3 with att.net and bellsouth addresses were returned 6 hours later (I inserted "XXXXXX" to protect their privacy.  

Any clue how to resolve this?  It is driving me crazy and almost enough for me to go back to Comcast!!

<XXXXXXX@att.net>:
Connected to 204.127.217.21 but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 521-69.89.19.47 blocked by sbc:blacklist.mailrelay.att.net.
521 DNSRBL: Blocked for abuse. See http://att.net/blocks

<XXXXXXXX@fultonschools.org>:
64.235.154.66 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550 Service unavailable; Client host [outbound-ss-1478.bluehost.com] blocked using Barracuda Reputation; http://www.barracudanetworks.com/reputation/?r=1&ip=69.89.19.47 (XXXXXXX@fultonschools.org:blocked)

<XXXXXXX@bellsouth.net>:

<XXXXXXX@bellsouth.net>:

19 of 24 (1,386 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 2:53:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

If you have done everything in my previous email, then the only thing I can think of is, either the server was down that you were sending it to or your email account was hacked and the server is protecting itself. Have you tried sending it again?

If you have done everything in my previous email, then the only thing I can think of is, either the server was down that you were sending it to or your email account was hacked and the server is protecting itself. Have you tried sending it again?

20 of 24 (1,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 8:41:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am able to send from my mobile (HTC ONE) and webmail (Win8 Internet Explorer) but not thru Thunderbird (17.0.8). Doesn't this point to an issue related to the server settings in Thunderbird?

I am able to send from my mobile (HTC ONE) and webmail (Win8 Internet Explorer) but not thru Thunderbird (17.0.8). Doesn't this point to an issue related to the server settings in Thunderbird?

21 of 24 (1,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 1:41:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was able to resolve the issue. I created a new SMTP server definition and on the Account Settings window, using the dropdown menu, I selected the new outbound server definition. It worked without exiting or rebooting.

I was able to resolve the issue. I created a new SMTP server definition and on the Account Settings window, using the dropdown menu, I selected the new outbound server definition. It worked without exiting or rebooting.

22 of 24 (1,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 2:15:14 PM
(0)
Teacher

tbethune wrote:

I'm glad everything worked out. Your solution may help the next person with a problem

tbethune wrote:

I'm glad everything worked out. Your solution may help the next person with a problem

23 of 24 (1,179 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 4:18:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

The same thing happened to me in Calif, this week.  We have contacted our local COX office, and we are changing to their faster cable feed as soon as possible.   At the same time we will save money with their phone bundle.   We have had our ATT land line for over 30 yrs.   Apparent poor ATT management.   They have enough resources to fix their issues, if enough of us cancel our ATT accounts.   We are going from 6 mbs to 18 mbs at a lower cost for 2 yrs. 

Good luck on getting help from ATT's automated help system.  

The same thing happened to me in Calif, this week.  We have contacted our local COX office, and we are changing to their faster cable feed as soon as possible.   At the same time we will save money with their phone bundle.   We have had our ATT land line for over 30 yrs.   Apparent poor ATT management.   They have enough resources to fix their issues, if enough of us cancel our ATT accounts.   We are going from 6 mbs to 18 mbs at a lower cost for 2 yrs. 

Good luck on getting help from ATT's automated help system.  

24 of 24 (1,087 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments