Sudden problem with Thunderbird not being able to send e-mail

Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Trouble with new ATT POP3 settings and Thunderbird version 17.0 (OS10)

I have had this problem as well. I'm trying your fix. Thanks for posting it.

Message 16 of 24 (1,795 Views)
Contributor

Re: Sudden problem with Thunderbird not being able to send e-mail

I have been using email for years and don't understand the string that you want me to enter.

I'm used to:

"My Full Name" <something@somewhere.else>

My Full Name <something@somewhere.else>

something@somewhere.else

It seems that you are asking that we use:

<something@somewhere.else> "My Full Name"

<something@somewhere.else> My Full Name

In addition to this confusion, others in this thread suggest removing all content from the Reply-To: field.

You, instead, suggest that we put some email address string there.

T'bird and AT&T/yahoo email still won't play nice,

~~~ 0;-Dan

Message 17 of 24 (1,672 Views)
Teacher

Okay,

I'm looking at my account settings, the initial page.

Account name - your email address

Your name - if you want you can enter your name of leave it blank

Email Address - your email address

Reply-to-Address - blank (greyed out - "Recipients will reply to this other address")

Organization - blank

don't use carrots <>

Hope this helps.

Message 18 of 24 (1,653 Views)

So it is July 23, 2013 and I too am having the same issue as everyone else - - I can't send email to via Thunderbird to anyone with a Bellsouth or an att.net email address.  I have Uverse Internet as my provider.  

I have removed everything from the "Reply To" field in account settings and STILL emails are being rejected.  I sent an email this morning to 10 people.  The 3 with att.net and bellsouth addresses were returned 6 hours later (I inserted "XXXXXX" to protect their privacy.  

Any clue how to resolve this?  It is driving me crazy and almost enough for me to go back to Comcast!!

<XXXXXXX@att.net>:
Connected to 204.127.217.21 but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 521-69.89.19.47 blocked by sbc:blacklist.mailrelay.att.net.
521 DNSRBL: Blocked for abuse. See http://att.net/blocks

<XXXXXXXX@fultonschools.org>:
64.235.154.66 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550 Service unavailable; Client host [outbound-ss-1478.bluehost.com] blocked using Barracuda Reputation; http://www.barracudanetworks.com/reputation/?r=1&ip=69.89.19.47 (XXXXXXX@fultonschools.org:blocked)

<XXXXXXX@bellsouth.net>:
Connected to 207.115.11.16 but greeting failed.
Remote host said: 550-69.89.19.47 blocked by ldapSmiley Surprisedu=rblmx,dc=att,dc=net
550 Error - Blocked for abuse. See http://att.net/blocks

<XXXXXXX@bellsouth.net>:
Connected to 207.115.11.16 but greeting failed.
Remote host said: 550-69.89.19.47 blocked by ldapSmiley Surprisedu=rblmx,dc=att,dc=net
550 Error - Blocked for abuse. See http://att.net/blocks
Message 19 of 24 (1,531 Views)
Teacher

If you have done everything in my previous email, then the only thing I can think of is, either the server was down that you were sending it to or your email account was hacked and the server is protecting itself. Have you tried sending it again?

Message 20 of 24 (1,502 Views)
Contributor

I am able to send from my mobile (HTC ONE) and webmail (Win8 Internet Explorer) but not thru Thunderbird (17.0.8). Doesn't this point to an issue related to the server settings in Thunderbird?

Message 21 of 24 (1,343 Views)
Contributor

I was able to resolve the issue. I created a new SMTP server definition and on the Account Settings window, using the dropdown menu, I selected the new outbound server definition. It worked without exiting or rebooting.

Message 22 of 24 (1,331 Views)
Teacher

tbethune wrote:

I was able to resolve the issue. I created a new SMTP server definition and on the Account Settings window, using the dropdown menu, I selected the new outbound server definition. It worked without exiting or rebooting.

I'm glad everything worked out. Your solution may help the next person with a problem

Message 23 of 24 (1,324 Views)
Contributor

Re: Trouble with new ATT POP3 settings and Thunderbird version 17.0 (OS10)

The same thing happened to me in Calif, this week.  We have contacted our local COX office, and we are changing to their faster cable feed as soon as possible.   At the same time we will save money with their phone bundle.   We have had our ATT land line for over 30 yrs.   Apparent poor ATT management.   They have enough resources to fix their issues, if enough of us cancel our ATT accounts.   We are going from 6 mbs to 18 mbs at a lower cost for 2 yrs. 

Good luck on getting help from ATT's automated help system.  

Message 24 of 24 (1,232 Views)