Somebody is sending spam to an email address that I only gave to AT&T. Did AT&T get compromised?

Contributor

Somebody is sending spam to an email address that I only gave to AT&T. Did AT&T get compromised?

I have two email address that I only gave to AT&T:

1. one looked like ROB.ATT@EXAMPLE.COM, which I only gave to AT&T U-Verse.

2. the other looked like ROB.ATTWIRELESS@EXAMPLE.COM, which I only have to AT&T Wireless

In other words, nobody other than AT&T and I should know that these email addresses exist.

However, since about late October of 2013, I have received about 17 spam and phishing emails sent to these email addresses; most of them to both of the email addresses at the same time.

There should only be two ways that anyone else knows that these two email addresses exist:

1. Someone hacked AT&T or one of its partners, and obtained email addresses of customers. If so, what else did the hackers steal?

2. AT&T sold or bartered the email addresses.

What happened, AT&T? Can anyone else corroborate?

~Robert

Message 1 of 3
Employee

Re: Somebody is sending spam to an email address that I only gave to AT&T. Did AT&T get comp

Hi Robert, welcome to the forum
The information that you provide to ATT is completely confidential, remember you don't need to share your e-mail address to receive Spam on your inbox, sometimes you can click a link by accident and the information in your computer gets compromised.

Thank you
Manuel

Rethink Possible
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 3
Contributor

Re: Somebody is sending spam to an email address that I only gave to AT&T. Did AT&T get comp

Hi Manuel,

I have literally hundreds of email addresses, one for each website or service that I sign up for. My two AT&T email addresses are among the very few that have been compromised (and the others that were compromised were a result of the other sites being compromised or selling email addresses).

This incident is not a result of me clicking a link by accident and information in my computer being compromised.

Cheers,

~Rob

Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

Additional Support