Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Apr 6, 2014
7:27:57 PM
View profile
Somebody is sending spam to an email address that I only gave to AT&T. Did AT&T get compromised?

I have two email address that I only gave to AT&T:

1. one looked like ROB.ATT@EXAMPLE.COM, which I only gave to AT&T U-Verse.

2. the other looked like ROB.ATTWIRELESS@EXAMPLE.COM, which I only have to AT&T Wireless

In other words, nobody other than AT&T and I should know that these email addresses exist.

However, since about late October of 2013, I have received about 17 spam and phishing emails sent to these email addresses; most of them to both of the email addresses at the same time.

There should only be two ways that anyone else knows that these two email addresses exist:

1. Someone hacked AT&T or one of its partners, and obtained email addresses of customers. If so, what else did the hackers steal?

2. AT&T sold or bartered the email addresses.

What happened, AT&T? Can anyone else corroborate?

~Robert

I have two email address that I only gave to AT&T:

1. one looked like ROB.ATT@EXAMPLE.COM, which I only gave to AT&T U-Verse.

2. the other looked like ROB.ATTWIRELESS@EXAMPLE.COM, which I only have to AT&T Wireless

In other words, nobody other than AT&T and I should know that these email addresses exist.

However, since about late October of 2013, I have received about 17 spam and phishing emails sent to these email addresses; most of them to both of the email addresses at the same time.

There should only be two ways that anyone else knows that these two email addresses exist:

1. Someone hacked AT&T or one of its partners, and obtained email addresses of customers. If so, what else did the hackers steal?

2. AT&T sold or bartered the email addresses.

What happened, AT&T? Can anyone else corroborate?

~Robert

Somebody is sending spam to an email address that I only gave to AT&T. Did AT&T get compromised?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2014 7:33:23 PM
(0)
Employee
Hi Robert, welcome to the forum
The information that you provide to ATT is completely confidential, remember you don't need to share your e-mail address to receive Spam on your inbox, sometimes you can click a link by accident and the information in your computer gets compromised.

Thank you
Manuel

Rethink Possible
Hi Robert, welcome to the forum
The information that you provide to ATT is completely confidential, remember you don't need to share your e-mail address to receive Spam on your inbox, sometimes you can click a link by accident and the information in your computer gets compromised.

Thank you
Manuel

Rethink Possible
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Somebody is sending spam to an email address that I only gave to AT&T. Did AT&T get comp

2 of 3 (197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2014 7:51:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi Manuel,

I have literally hundreds of email addresses, one for each website or service that I sign up for. My two AT&T email addresses are among the very few that have been compromised (and the others that were compromised were a result of the other sites being compromised or selling email addresses).

This incident is not a result of me clicking a link by accident and information in my computer being compromised.

Cheers,

~Rob

Hi Manuel,

I have literally hundreds of email addresses, one for each website or service that I sign up for. My two AT&T email addresses are among the very few that have been compromised (and the others that were compromised were a result of the other sites being compromised or selling email addresses).

This incident is not a result of me clicking a link by accident and information in my computer being compromised.

Cheers,

~Rob

Re: Somebody is sending spam to an email address that I only gave to AT&T. Did AT&T get comp

3 of 3 (188 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments