Slow internet speeds to my closest city

Teacher

Slow internet speeds to my closest city

My speed tests are indicating that connections to Chicago are very slow, even though I am located in a northern suburb of that city.  Speeds to any other city are near my maximum of 12 MB per sec.  I am seeing this on two PC's connected to my UVERSE modem.  No other devices are plugged into the modem.  What is causing this?

Message 1 of 6
Teacher

Re: Slow internet speeds to my closest city

I am going to answer my own posting.

After two days of constant speed checking with the AT&T speedtest and SpeakEasy speed test finding

the Chicago connection way down in speed, it finally came back up this evening.  Strangely, I did nothing

to either of my two PC's that should have made a difference.  Most likely, the server people in Chicago did something to fix this, or less likely, AT&T fixed it.  I will never know, for sure.  I will just keep monitoring the speed through the Chicago server to see if it drops again.  If anyone has a better explanation, I would certainly like to hear it.

Message 2 of 6
Teacher

I spoke too soon.  Here it is 7:47 PM local time and the speed through the Chicago Servers is back again

to it's crawling pace (about 1 MB/sec).  What is going on here?

Message 3 of 6
Teacher

This problem is still there.

I think it shows up at peak usage times during the day.  I think there is too many users and activity on

my line either from the UVERSE portion or the general Chicago portion.  Is anyone else experiencing

these slow downs?

I see many of these postings on this board never get viewed and some are never answered.  Maybe

I need to go elsewhere for help.

Message 4 of 6
Community Manager

Hello @sherwindu 

Are you actually experiencing any connection or speed issues with your service? It can simply be that the speed test server in Chicago is slower. I see a similar thing using speedtest.net near Pittsburgh, if I select NJ or even Florida I see double the speeds vs. Pittsburgh and I'm in Pittsburgh. Not sure why that it, but if you don't actually have any specific issues with your connection, I wouldn't worry about it as all speed tests are estimated and fluctuate from city to city.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 6
Teacher

This is a problem with congestion on my feed.  The speeds vary with the peak times of usage.  AT&T is just burying their heads and refusing to address this issue.

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Did you know the AT&T Community forums has the answers you need to solve most service woes? Check out our How To Forum article. You will learn how to find your answer!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues. We highly recommend chatting with our teams to address this as quickly as possible.

Additional Support