Ask a question

Posted Aug 14, 2009
    11:43:18 AM
    View profile
    Setting up an Outlook Express Email Account

Outlook Express is the default email software program that AT&T provides and is set up during the installation process. However, you may also use other email software programs (e.g., Outlook Express, Windows Mail for Vista, Outlook 2007, Netscape 6.0/7.0, Entourage, or Apple Mail). These programs let you access and organize your email messages on your computer.

To set up an Outlook Express email account, do the following:

1. Click the Outlook Express icon  to open this program.

Note: If the icon is not on your desktop, click Start and then look for the icon in your list of programs.

The Outlook Express main page displays.
    2. Click the Set up a Mail account link.

Note: If you do not see the Set up a Mail account link, Outlook Express has already been set up. If you would like to add another mailbox, see
      How to: Add an Additional Mailbox Using Outlook Express.

The Your Name screen displays.
    3. In the Display name field, type the name that you want to display in your outgoing email messages.

4. Click Next.

The Internet Email Address screen displays.

In the Email address field, type your complete email address including the domain name. For example, johnsmith@att.net.
    5. Click Next.

The Email Server Names screen displays.

6. From the My incoming mail server field, select POP3 from the drop-down list.

In the Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP, or HTTP) server field, type pop.att.yahoo.com.

In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server field, type smtp.att.yahoo.com.
    7. Click Next.

The Internet Mail Logon screen displays.

In the Account name field, type your account name.

Note: This includes the letters, characters, and numbers to the left of the @ sign in your AT&T email address.

9. In the Password field, type your AT&T email password.

Click Next.

The Congratulations screen displays.

Click Finish

Click on the account that you want to change.

9.  Click on the Properties button. 

10. Click on the Servers tab.

11.  Check the Remember password checkbox and the My server requires authentication checkbox.

12.  Click on the Settings button.

13.  Select the appropriate Outgoing Mail Server settings:

14.  If your Incoming Mail Server (POP3) is set to pop.att.yahoo.com, select Use same settings as my incoming mail server

15.  If your Incoming Mail Server (POP3) is set to something other than pop.att.yahoo.com, select Log on using, enter your full AT&T Email address (including domain) and Password, and leave Remember Password checked.

16.  Click the OK button.

17.  Click on the Advanced tab.

18.  Check both boxes for Incoming and Outgoing Secure Socket Layer connections (SSL):

Incoming mail port #: 995, secure connection (SSL) checked.

Outgoing mail port #: 465, secure connection (SSL) checked.

1. Tip: Check the boxes before specifying port numbers.

2. Click OK.
    3. Click Close button. 

All Steps Complete

Setting up an Outlook Express Email Account

7 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (7)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 30, 2009 9:48:54 AM
    (0)
    Contributor
    I.ve accomplished all the setup steps, now, how do I move my address book (contacts) and folders to OE? Tried the OE import program but Yahoo Mail is not listed. Or, if I choose not to use OE, how do I place an icon on my main menu bar that will take me to my Yahoo Mail account?

Re: Setting up an Outlook Express Email Account

2 of 8 (55,912 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 30, 2009 10:30:53 AM
    (0)
    Guru

hi woodbutcher!

once your email profile has been setup in OE, it will automatically download all emails from your AT&T Yahoo! Inbox only. personalized folders created in the Yahoo! mailbox will not be included in the download. you will need to manually move all your emails from the customized folders to the Yahoo! INBOX so that OE can download the emails to your computer.

you can export your contacts from Yahoo! and import them to OE. just click on the link below:
    From Yahoo! to Microsoft Outlook Express

hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

3 of 8 (55,912 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 30, 2009 10:48:08 AM
    (0)
    Guru
    BTW, setup OE to leave copies on the server if you want Yahoo! to still have copies of those emails.

here's how to:
    1. open OE. From the Tools menu, choose "Accounts."
    2. Select the "Mail" tab.
    3. Select your Yahoo! Mail account and click "Properties."
    4. Select the "Advanced" tab. In the Delivery section at the bottom of the window, check "Leave a copy of messages on server" if you want to save your Yahoo! Mail messages on the Yahoo! Mail server. If you want your messages to be deleted from the Yahoo! Mail server after you've downloaded them in Outlook Express, don't check this box.

4 of 8 (55,912 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 1, 2010 4:07:27 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Incoming mail in Outlook Express receive OK, but Outgoing mail, I cannot do it. Could you help me to fix. Thank you

Sang Vo

5 of 8 (55,914 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 2, 2010 9:16:29 AM
    (0)
    AT&T Internet Expert
    Edited by ATTMarianaCM on Sep 12, 2013 at 10:19:34 AM

Hello sang_vo,

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced. If you are unable to send emails through your email client (Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, Mac mail, etc..), I would suggest you to verify the settings of your email client.

To verify the settings of your email client, please use the link mentioned below and follow the troubleshooting steps accordingly:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401568

If you experience any difficulty while verifying the settings in your email client, we recommendthat you contact AT&T eChat support by clicking the link below.

DSL Support Chat

[ Edited ]
    6 of 8 (55,912 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 6, 2013 9:28:08 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    This website http://www.setup-outlook.com may also be useful since it shows you how to setup any email with any version of outlook.
    Hope it helps!

7 of 8 (21,299 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 6, 2013 10:35:17 AM
    (0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

8 of 8 (21,296 Views)