Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Sep 11, 2013
2:55:37 PM
View profile
Remote access to parents' computer on AT&T internet

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum in which to post this, so feel free to direct me to the correct one.

I need to be able to remotely login to my parents' laptop from my location in Austin, TX in order to manage their Windows, Antivirus updates, etc.  I have set them up to allow remote access to their machine, but I don't know how to get to it.  I have tried using the IP address that is displayed when I run IPConfig, but it appears to be an internal network IP (10.10. something) and I can't get to it.  I am familiar with Remote Desktop and use it regularly in my job, but I am not a network guy.  Also, my parents live a 7 1/2 hour drive from me, so popping over to take a look at their laptop is a bit difficult.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brice

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum in which to post this, so feel free to direct me to the correct one.

I need to be able to remotely login to my parents' laptop from my location in Austin, TX in order to manage their Windows, Antivirus updates, etc.  I have set them up to allow remote access to their machine, but I don't know how to get to it.  I have tried using the IP address that is displayed when I run IPConfig, but it appears to be an internal network IP (10.10. something) and I can't get to it.  I am familiar with Remote Desktop and use it regularly in my job, but I am not a network guy.  Also, my parents live a 7 1/2 hour drive from me, so popping over to take a look at their laptop is a bit difficult.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brice

Remote access to parents' computer on AT&T internet

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 2:57:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

I should also mention that both my laptop and my parents' laptop are on wireless networks.

I should also mention that both my laptop and my parents' laptop are on wireless networks.

Re: Remote access to parents' computer on AT&T internet

2 of 4 (256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 12:48:50 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by NaruFGT on Sep 13, 2013 at 12:49:52 AM

You'll want to set up port forwarding for port 3389 to the computer you would like to connect to remotely. This is the port used for Remote Desktop Connection on Winodws.

Some routers require you to have a Static IP on your local network to forward ports reliably. To get your remote IP address (not the one you get from ipconfig) you can use a utility like whatismyip.com or alternatively you could just ask google.

You'll want to set up port forwarding for port 3389 to the computer you would like to connect to remotely. This is the port used for Remote Desktop Connection on Winodws.

Some routers require you to have a Static IP on your local network to forward ports reliably. To get your remote IP address (not the one you get from ipconfig) you can use a utility like whatismyip.com or alternatively you could just ask google.

[ Edited ]
3 of 4 (238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 10:06:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks!  I thought it might be something like that, but wasn't quite sure.  I appreciate the info.

-Brice

Thanks!  I thought it might be something like that, but wasn't quite sure.  I appreciate the info.

-Brice

4 of 4 (222 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments