Remote access to parents' computer on AT&T internet

Contributor

Remote access to parents' computer on AT&T internet

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum in which to post this, so feel free to direct me to the correct one.

I need to be able to remotely login to my parents' laptop from my location in Austin, TX in order to manage their Windows, Antivirus updates, etc.  I have set them up to allow remote access to their machine, but I don't know how to get to it.  I have tried using the IP address that is displayed when I run IPConfig, but it appears to be an internal network IP (10.10. something) and I can't get to it.  I am familiar with Remote Desktop and use it regularly in my job, but I am not a network guy.  Also, my parents live a 7 1/2 hour drive from me, so popping over to take a look at their laptop is a bit difficult.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brice

Message 1 of 4
Contributor

Re: Remote access to parents' computer on AT&T internet

I should also mention that both my laptop and my parents' laptop are on wireless networks.

Message 2 of 4
Tutor

You'll want to set up port forwarding for port 3389 to the computer you would like to connect to remotely. This is the port used for Remote Desktop Connection on Winodws.

Some routers require you to have a Static IP on your local network to forward ports reliably. To get your remote IP address (not the one you get from ipconfig) you can use a utility like whatismyip.com or alternatively you could just ask google.

Message 3 of 4
Contributor

Thanks!  I thought it might be something like that, but wasn't quite sure.  I appreciate the info.

-Brice

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Did you know the AT&T Community forums has the answers you need to solve most service woes? Check out our How To Forum article. You will learn how to find your answer!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues. We highly recommend chatting with our teams to address this as quickly as possible.

Additional Support