Problems setting up AT&T email w/Windows 8

Master

Problems setting up AT&T email w/Windows 8

[ Edited ]

I've been trying to help my neighbor out by setting up her new HP laptop with Windows 8. But once I click on "Mail" to set up her att.net email it says I must create a Microsolft account first. Tried every way around this but even when clicking on "Settings" on the right side of the screen it again asks to set up a MS account.

 

I did do a search on this topic first and found the below thread.

http://forums.att.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/internet-Internet/message-id/17819/prin...

 

But I'm not sure what you're supposed to do when running into this MS roadblock? Finally decided we had to register for a MS account then were having all kinds of problems with the password verification which was so frustrating....

 

I'm not familiar with Win 8 and sure would apprecitate some input. While her att email was tied to IE on her 10-year old XP machine, not using Outlook and don't want to, I'd like to make Firefox the default browser while having her email tied directly to it. Thanks for any help!

 

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 1 of 7 (2,001 Views)

Re: Problems setting up AT&T email w/Windows 8


Uniblurb3 wrote:

I've been trying to help my neighbor out by setting up her new HP laptop with Windows 8. But once I click on "Mail" to set up her att.net email it says I must create a Microsolft account first. Tried every way around this but even when clicking on "Settings" on the right side of the screen it again asks to set up a MS account.

 

I did do a search on this topic first and found the below thread.

http://forums.att.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/internet-Internet/message-id/17819/prin...

 

But I'm not sure what you're supposed to do when running into this MS roadblock? Finally decided we had to register for a MS account then were having all kinds of problems with the password verification which was so frustrating....

 

I'm not familiar with Win 8 and sure would apprecitate some input. While her att email was tied to IE on her 10-year old XP machine, not using Outlook and don't want to, I'd like to make Firefox the default browser while having her email tied directly to it. Thanks for any help!

 


 

 

Technically speaking, the email is not "tied" to the browser you use. You can access the ATT.net site with any browser. What I think you mean is using a specific email client.

 

With her old XP machine, I'm assuming she had IE and Outlook Express (the email client) which used to be included free with Internet Explorer.

 

If your looking to go all Mozilla on the new machine, and still want to go with a third party email client as opposed to just going to the ATT.net website, then you want Thunderbird ( https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/download ).

 

Once you have thunderbird installed use it's configuration menu to set up the email account, instead of clicking on the windows mail button.

 

 

You will eventually have to set up the MS account though to get updates and use the store.

 

 

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                              

Message 2 of 7 (1,978 Views)
Master

Re: Problems setting up AT&T email w/Windows 8


Computer-Joe wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

I've been trying to help my neighbor out by setting up her new HP laptop with Windows 8. But once I click on "Mail" to set up her att.net email it says I must create a Microsolft account first. Tried every way around this but even when clicking on "Settings" on the right side of the screen it again asks to set up a MS account.

 

I did do a search on this topic first and found the below thread.

http://forums.att.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/internet-Internet/message-id/17819/prin...

 

But I'm not sure what you're supposed to do when running into this MS roadblock? Finally decided we had to register for a MS account then were having all kinds of problems with the password verification which was so frustrating....

 

I'm not familiar with Win 8 and sure would apprecitate some input. While her att email was tied to IE on her 10-year old XP machine, not using Outlook and don't want to, I'd like to make Firefox the default browser while having her email tied directly to it. Thanks for any help!

 


 

 

Technically speaking, the email is not "tied" to the browser you use. You can access the ATT.net site with any browser. What I think you mean is using a specific email client.

 

With her old XP machine, I'm assuming she had IE and Outlook Express (the email client) which used to be included free with Internet Explorer.

 

If your looking to go all Mozilla on the new machine, and still want to go with a third party email client as opposed to just going to the ATT.net website, then you want Thunderbird ( https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/download ).

 

Once you have thunderbird installed use it's configuration menu to set up the email account, instead of clicking on the windows mail button.

 

 

You will eventually have to set up the MS account though to get updates and use the store.

 __________________________________________________________

 

 

Thanks for the input CJ! Yeah, actually what I meant was using att.net as a third-party client with a browser. Any partiular reason you'd use Thunderbird instead of Firefox?

 

Kind of figured I might have to start an account with MS to receive updates and want to change her over to MSE where it'd be even more important. While I just receive the updates the box you had to check also said you agree to receive "special offers" and didn't want a lot of unwanted spam coming in from MS. And while I can see them wanting some personal info to find what age groups are using their software why do they need your exact DOB?

 

Since we have the passwords messed up somehow I'll probably just have to wipe the MS account clean and start over. I've watched a couple Windows 8 tutorials/videos but seems like they're all lacking on exactly how to set up email like att.net. At this point I really wouldn't care if the "Mail" app on the screen would take you directly to her att email.

 

Thanks again, appreciate it!

 

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 3 of 7 (1,971 Views)

Re: Problems setting up AT&T email w/Windows 8


Uniblurb3 wrote:

Thanks for the input CJ! Yeah, actually what I meant was using att.net as a third-party client with a browser. Any partiular reason you'd use Thunderbird instead of Firefox?

 

Kind of figured I might have to start an account with MS to receive updates and want to change her over to MSE where it'd be even more important. While I just receive the updates the box you had to check also said you agree to receive "special offers" and didn't want a lot of unwanted spam coming in from MS. And while I can see them wanting some personal info to find what age groups are using their software why do they need your exact DOB?

 

Since we have the passwords messed up somehow I'll probably just have to wipe the MS account clean and start over. I've watched a couple Windows 8 tutorials/videos but seems like they're all lacking on exactly how to set up email like att.net. At this point I really wouldn't care if the "Mail" app on the screen would take you directly to her att email.

 

Thanks again, appreciate it!

 


 

 

OK, I think we're crossing wires here.Smiley Happy

 

The "Browser" (Firefox) is used to go to the ATT.net website where you would log in to access your email, no setup necessary.

 

A third party email client (Thunderbird) accesses the mail servers directly and retrieves your email, no browser necessary.

 

I only suggested Thunderbird because, like Firefox, it is a Mozilla product. Personally I use Outlook.

 

When you hit the "Mail" button in Windows 8, it is probably trying to set you up using Windows Mail (which basically replaces Outlook Express) as your third party email client.

 

A Windows Mail account can be any account (like an ATT.net account, Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.).

 

What you might actually be running into is the creation of the Windows Live account (needed for updates and app store). This is seperate from email accounts, although you will need an email account of some kind to set it up.

 

 

 

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                              

Message 4 of 7 (1,967 Views)
Master

Re: Problems setting up AT&T email w/Windows 8


Computer-Joe wrote:


 

OK, I think we're crossing wires here.Smiley Happy

 

The "Browser" (Firefox) is used to go to the ATT.net website where you would log in to access your email, no setup necessary.

 

A third party email client (Thunderbird) accesses the mail servers directly and retrieves your email, no browser necessary.

 

I only suggested Thunderbird because, like Firefox, it is a Mozilla product. Personally I use Outlook.

 

When you hit the "Mail" button in Windows 8, it is probably trying to set you up using Windows Mail (which basically replaces Outlook Express) as your third party email client.

 

A Windows Mail account can be any account (like an ATT.net account, Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.).

 

What you might actually be running into is the creation of the Windows Live account (needed for updates and app store). This is seperate from email accounts, although you will need an email account of some kind to set it up.

 

 



 

Gotcha, and believe you hit it on the head when MS/Win8 is trying to make all email go through them instead of accessing att.net directly. And you're probably right too where they would rather you set up a Windows Live account but I'm not familiar with it.

 

On my Win7 laptop when I click on FF it immediatly takes me to my att email inbox which is real nice. I'd like to set her's up exactly the same but not sure if it's even possible with Win8? But if you can click on the "Mail" app and it takes you directly to att email it really doesn't matter. But it would be nice to have direct access to a search engine slot/box like Goggle once you're in att email like I do.

 

It should be noted the HP ProBook laptop I actually bought for her doesn't have a touch screen and she doesn't really use her phone apps to access email either. Guess this is what Win8 is designed for.

 

I set up my mom's system the exact same way but there's big difference between Win 7 & 8. And to make matters worse I couldn't even make a connection to the internet for an hour when 1st starting out. She said she's been losing connectivity for a while and I was getting ready to call U-Verse TS. But her TV worked and I told her to also check her voice phone. She looked at the CID and said she couldn't check it right now since her alarm system was checking the phone connection. Just great and not only do I have Win8 to deal with but an interupting alarm system too! Smiley Sad

 

Thanks again!

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 5 of 7 (1,960 Views)

Re: Problems setting up AT&T email w/Windows 8


Uniblurb3 wrote:
Gotcha, and believe you hit it on the head when MS/Win8 is trying to make all email go through them instead of accessing att.net directly. And you're probably right too where they would rather you set up a Windows Live account but I'm not familiar with it.

 

On my Win7 laptop when I click on FF it immediatly takes me to my att email inbox which is real nice. I'd like to set her's up exactly the same but not sure if it's even possible with Win8? But if you can click on the "Mail" app and it takes you directly to att email it really doesn't matter. But it would be nice to have direct access to a search engine slot/box like Goggle once you're in att email like I do.

 

It should be noted the HP ProBook laptop I actually bought for her doesn't have a touch screen and she doesn't really use her phone apps to access email either. Guess this is what Win8 is designed for.

 

I set up my mom's system the exact same way but there's big difference between Win 7 & 8. And to make matters worse I couldn't even make a connection to the internet for an hour when 1st starting out. She said she's been losing connectivity for a while and I was getting ready to call U-Verse TS. But her TV worked and I told her to also check her voice phone. She looked at the CID and said she couldn't check it right now since her alarm system was checking the phone connection. Just great and not only do I have Win8 to deal with but an interupting alarm system too! Smiley Sad

 

Thanks again!


 

Ok, so you're just using your Browser of choice to access the ATT.net website.

 

Basically all you need to do is open Firefox navigate to the ATT.net inbox webpage and then either save it as a favorite, or set it as the homepage (which is what I believe you have).

 

If you set the "Keep me logged in" option when you first log in, the browser will go straight to the inbox page, if you didn't set the "Keep me logged in" option, it will prompt you to log in (using the ATT.net user id and password) before the browser will continue to the inbox page.

 

 

 

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                              

Message 6 of 7 (1,952 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: Problems setting up AT&T email w/Windows 8


Computer-Joe wrote:

 

Ok, so you're just using your Browser of choice to access the ATT.net website.

Basically all you need to do is open Firefox navigate to the ATT.net inbox webpage and then either save it as a favorite, or set it as the homepage (which is what I believe you have).

 

If you set the "Keep me logged in" option when you first log in, the browser will go straight to the inbox page, if you didn't set the "Keep me logged in" option, it will prompt you to log in (using the ATT.net user id and password) before the browser will continue to the inbox page.

 


 

Actually it was my IT tech whiz son-in-law who set it up for me. FF is pinned to the task bar then I can see "open new tab", "open new window", "new private window" in that order. So the private window must be my att.net email and you're correct I stay logged in all the time.

 

Just hope I can duplicate it on my neighbors Win8 machine and thanks for the prompts!

 

Had to take a break from working on my neighbors laptop until almost midnight last night. Moved snow, firewood, and took down Christmas decorations in the cold wind today. What a break! Lol, but will be going back tomorrow.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 7 of 7 (1,939 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.