Helpful Links

Personal Web Pages

Re: Personal Web Pages

Sorry, the address took on some odd formatting. It should be:   UERNAME colon PASSWORD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Message 16 of 36
Tutor

I have maintained a PWP for many years, which was why I continued to regularly update it when AT&T announced they were discontinuing this feature but would maintain the service for existing pages that were being maintained.  It is also why I was aggravated when all of a sudden I was no longer able to edit it and have those edits saved.

Whatever they did for me worked, as my PWP is now working fine.

Message 17 of 36

Willisxx wrote:

I have maintained a PWP for many years, which was why I continued to regularly update it when AT&T announced they were discontinuing this feature but would maintain the service for existing pages that were being maintained.  It is also why I was aggravated when all of a sudden I was no longer able to edit it and have those edits saved.

Whatever they did for me worked, as my PWP is now working fine.

I understand your frustration, and am glad that you were finally able to access the FTP for your PWP. Can you share the address that worked for you so others might be helped, because I came across at least two different FTP addresses for the PWPs.

Considering the sporadic nature of the AT&T PWP, now that you have access you should probably back up your PWP and start investigating alternatives. Those free alternatives are dwindling, even GeoCities has been discontinued. It would seem the shift is going towards full blown paid web hosting. Yahoo's most basic hosting starts at $1.50/month, if I'm not mistaken.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Message 18 of 36
Tutor

Well happy Labor Day because the FTP site is still working!

I guess the ONLY way we can get support is to contact them via PM's from this thread / this forum then wait a week or so for someone to fix it.

I never got a call or email from support explaining what went wrong or that it was fixed.

Message 19 of 36

Re: I can't FTP to PWP either!

Well, even tho I sent a PM to Mariana (above), "Angela" replied to me originally, and after verifying my identity I got a useless response from a "Cathy W" as follows:

Thank you for contacting AT&T Website Solutions!

We are sorry to hear that you are having a issue with your FTP but the domain name you have given is for free webspace with your internet, the department that you have reached is for paid webhosting. For assistance we advise that you contact your internet provider for assistance. We understand how important that managing your site is to you and apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may be causing you.

So, no help from them, not do they tell me WHO at AT&T can help us!  They say contact your internet provider.... well..... that's AT&T!!  :-0

Anyway, sounds like some folks above got back on yesterday and earlier today, but I just tried to FTP to my site and altho it takes my password at login, it then just times-out.  I can't get to FTP (altho I can still see content on my site).

I suppose I'll try again tomorrow.  A couple months ago service seemed spotty... it was going down fairly often, but usually next time I tried it was back up.  The old server that they have our stuff on is probably dying, along with our service....  :-(  If anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear them...  Thanks, folks.

Message 20 of 36
Highlighted
Tutor

gatorjwade --

*Before I answer this, I want support to understand what I am about to post is NOT related to the issue that started this thread.  FTPing to pwp.att.net or home.bellsouth.net is still working at the writing of this reply.

Gator - this might solve your issue.  Are you using AT&Ts free (free to DSL subscribers anyway) McAfee Internet Security Suite?  If so, I noticed a few months ago that while I could reach pwp.att.net via FTP, I could not upload files.  It would just "lock up".  What happened is that McAfee (or AT&T) updated my firewall profile which reset my firewall rules and prevented uploading via FTP.   You can check this by turning off your firewall and trying it.  If it works, that was the issue.  You will have to set up a rule to allow you to FTP files.

Good luck and good luck to all of us if the service goes down again!!!

Message 21 of 36

Thanks, Eric_TX !

I tried just now from work...

FTP to bellsouth.net did not work, but FTP to pwp.att.net did work!

Maybe firewall is different than at home.... I'll try when I get home tonight and if it fails, I"ll turn off firewall to see if that makes a difference... it very well might.

Thanks again!  (I suppose I will start looking for other hosting options....)

Message 22 of 36
Former Employee

Hello, gatorjwade!

I just wanted to pop by and let you know that I have received your private message and replied. You should be able to access it by clicking on the little blue envelope at the top right corner of your screen. Let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Message 23 of 36
e_w
Tutor

Should be home.bellsouth.net  and or pwp.att.net.  They now point to the same host.  At least they did for a while, who knows what AT&T is up to today...Smiley Very Happy

Message 24 of 36

Yes, both home.bellsouth.net and pwp.att.net are both working now, and have been for about a week.

(Actually, I just tried and it didn't work, but then I tried again and it did, so let's call that "success".)

Let's keep our fingers crossed that services stay solid!...

Mariana, THANKS for relaying our (my) plea for help to the right folks who could help!  Smiley Happy

Just in case the service goes down again.... can you tell us the best way to get help/service for this particular issue?

Is the best way to simply log an issue on this forum?

Or is there a phone number to call and a specific "group" or "department" to ask for?

What's the best way to get to the right folks to help us with this service?

Thank you!

Message 25 of 36

gatorjwade wrote:

Yes, both home.bellsouth.net and pwp.att.net are both working now, and have been for about a week.

(Actually, I just tried and it didn't work, but then I tried again and it did, so let's call that "success".)

Let's keep our fingers crossed that services stay solid!...

Mariana, THANKS for relaying our (my) plea for help to the right folks who could help!  Smiley Happy

Just in case the service goes down again.... can you tell us the best way to get help/service for this particular issue?

Is the best way to simply log an issue on this forum?

Or is there a phone number to call and a specific "group" or "department" to ask for?

What's the best way to get to the right folks to help us with this service?

Thank you!

It could be that considering they've discontinued the PWPs they're also minimizing available resources to the PWPs. Maybe there are limited simultaneous connections available now (to the FTP servers) and it's a first come first serve scenario.

Not sure whether this has any bering or not, but the paid hosting service stop supporting simple FTP and went to secure FTP. So if your just using the built-in Windows FTP, try switching to something like Filezilla ( https://filezilla-project.org/ ).

neon_sign.jpg

Message 26 of 36
Tutor

Hi all,

It is not working for me now at either bellsouth.net or portal.att.net.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I am not able to log in and I went through the same issues that I read above - even calling a help desk that was unable to help (in India).

This is pathetic.

Message 27 of 36
Tutor

Denleac - Maybe fixed since your post or just working temporarily now?  I just tried both home.bellsouth.net and pwp.att.net and they are both working fine.  I was able to FTP and send files.

All - although we never were told an official method of getting this problem resolved, the only way we know of is to post the complaint here and send PMs to the staff that replied in this thread.

Message 28 of 36
Tutor

Hi Tutor,

THank you for your response. What do I need to do in order to get in please? You can see my log below on for both it kicks me out when attempting to list files. I do also see that it resolves by pwp and bellsouth to the same IP address - however I still get kicked out (see log below = : Error: Connection timed out Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing).

Logs:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

Response: 220-Bellsouth Personal Pages FTP server v1.0 (12)

Response: 220-==========================================================================

Response: 220-         Welcome to Bellsouth Personal pages Ftp Service v1.0 (12)

Response: 220-==========================================================================

Response: 220-No Anonymous connections. This is a private ftp server. Users who connect

Response: 220-more than 6 times within a minute will be blocked for 10 minutes. Any

Response: 220-unauthorised use will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of law.

Response: 220-===========================================================================

Response: 220-

Response: 220-===========================================================================

Response: 220-Important Notice:

Response: 220-On or after September 12, 2012 the att.net Personal Web Page feature will be restricted.

Response: 220-1.It will no longer be possible to create a new Personal Web Page.

Response: 220-2.Users with Personal Web Pages that have been actively managed or

Response: 220-viewed since March 10, 2012 will be able to continue updating their established pages.

Response: 220-3.Message Board features will no longer be available or functional.

Response: 220-4.Active users should bookmark the "Personal Web Page" management page for future reference and use.

Response: 220-5.Visit http://www.att.com/esupport for additional information.

Response: 220 ===========================================================================

Command: USER denleac@portal.att.net

Response: 331 User name okay, need password.

Command: PASS ******

Response: 230 User logged in, proceed.

Command: SYST

Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8

Command: FEAT

Response: 211-Extension supported

Response: MDTM

Response: MDTM YYYYMMDDHHMMSS[+-TZ] filename

Response: SIZE

Response: SITE PSWD;EXEC;SET;INDEX;ZONE;CHMOD;MSG

Response: REST STREAM

Response: 211 End

Command: PWD

Response: 257 "/" is current directory.

Command: TYPE I

Response: 200 Type set to I.

Command: PASV

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (216,77,188,33,5,43)

Command: LIST

Error: Connection timed out

Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

Response: 220-Bellsouth Personal Pages FTP server v1.0 (12)

Response: 220-         Welcome to Bellsouth Personal pages Ftp Service v1.0 (12)

Response: 220-No Anonymous connections. This is a private ftp server. Users who connect

Response: 220-more than 6 times within a minute will be blocked for 10 minutes. Any

Response: 220-unauthorised use will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of law.

Response: 220-Important Notice:

Response: 220-On or after September 12, 2012 the att.net Personal Web Page feature will be restricted.

Response: 220-1.It will no longer be possible to create a new Personal Web Page.

Response: 220-2.Users with Personal Web Pages that have been actively managed or

Response: 220-viewed since March 10, 2012 will be able to continue updating their established pages.

Response: 220-3.Message Board features will no longer be available or functional.

Response: 220-4.Active users should bookmark the "Personal Web Page" management page for future reference and use.

Response: 220-5.Visit http://www.att.com/esupport for additional information.

Response: 220 ===========================================================================

Command: USER denleac@portal.att.net

Response: 331 User name okay, need password.

Command: PASS ******

Response: 230 User logged in, proceed.

Command: SYST

Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8

Command: FEAT

Response: 211-Extension supported

Response: MDTM

Response: MDTM YYYYMMDDHHMMSS[+-TZ] filename

Response: SIZE

Response: SITE PSWD;EXEC;SET;INDEX;ZONE;CHMOD;MSG

Response: REST STREAM

Response: 211 End

Command: CWD /phoenix

Response: 250 Directory changed to /phoenix

Command: PWD

Response: 257 "/phoenix" is current directory.

Command: TYPE I

Response: 200 Type set to I.

Command: PASV

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (216,77,188,33,5,49)

Command: LIST

Error: Connection timed out

Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

Message 29 of 36
Tutor

and by the way here is the response I got to the private message (I have sent 4 over the past 3 days):

what a bunch of garbage?!!?! 

From: ATT Social Care  To: "gdenlea@yahoo.com" <gdenlea@yahoo.com> Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:35 AM Subject: AT&T Forums Reply (FTP ISSUES)    [ ref:_00DE0czFk._500E07Wwaz:ref ]
Hey there,
Thank you very much for the private message to us on the AT&T forums about your issues using an FTP client. I apologize, however, FTP is unsupported by us. My recommendation would be to search for this issue to see if someone has posted a fix for it anywhere on the internet. If this is unsuccessful, or, you would still prefer to go through us, we do provide a fee-based service that would be able to assist. This group is called Connectech. Their number is: 866-294-3464.
Thank you, Ryan, AT&T Social Media Manager Tues-Fri 9:30A-6:00P CST, Sat 7:00A-4:00P
Message 30 of 36
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues, we are here to chat!

Additional Support