Personal Web Pages

Highlighted
Tutor

Personal Web Pages

I started a personal web page years ago under BellSouth.  Until recently everything worked fine.  Now when attempting to use FTP to update my site, I get an error when trying to connect to home.bellsouth.net.

connecting to 216.77.188.73 ...
can't connect to home.bellsouth.net - connection refused
Connection to home.bellsouth.net failed

AT&T technical support lines are useless.  They don't seem to understand the problem or want to charge for tech support.  Anyone else still have a PWP that they are able to maintain?

Message 1 of 36
e_w
Tutor

Re: Personal Web Pages

The FTP server at home.bellsouth.net is dead.  I am also unable to access my PWP site with an FTP client.  I sent a PM and got a response that the issue was reported etc.

Frankly, this is ridiculous.  If AT&T is shutting the service down, put out a notice giving people time to make other arrangements, pick a date, and shut it down.  Locking people out of their websites without notice is terrible business, to put it mildly.

Message 2 of 36
e_w
Tutor

And it gets more ridiculous.  I called.  Got the phone number for Personal Web Hosting support.  Tried and tried but nobody would answer the phone.  Just rings away.  I finally took the High Speed Internet support option and talked to some guy in India.  He was actually very nice and assured me that although he could not handle the problem, it would be sent to the web hosting group and they would call me back.  Of course, nobody has called from that group.

So here we have it.  Thousands of customers have personal web pages that are still running.  They can still be accessed with a web browser but ... they can't be edited.  People have been locked out of functioning websites.  No FTP access!  No way to change anything!

This is insane!

Message 3 of 36
Tutor

There are a couple threads on this.  None with a solution yet.  So far I followed the "Private Message" link in the thread below.  I got a response same day that a manager would contact me within 24hrs.  Its been 72hrs so far no response so I pinged them again just now asking for status.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Email-Internet-Security/Cannot-update-my-personal-web-page/td-p/3417931

You mention home.bellsouth.net but pwp.att.net used to also work.  Not to be picky I will be happy if either of them start working again.  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 36
Community Manager

Hello, e_w, EricH_TX, and weeble_1!

Thanks for your posts. I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your PWPs. If you could all send me a detailed private message by clicking here, I can make sure that we get you the techical support that you need. Just make sure you include your name, email address, phone number, and the best time to reach you. In the meantime, let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thanks!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 36
e_w
Tutor

Thanks Mariana but I have already been down the private message road as well as the phone call to tech support mode.  All we get is a promise that somebody who knows something will contact us and tell us something.  Then nothing happens and no one follows up.

What we really need isn't tech support.  It is a working FTP server so we can log in and edit our web sites.  This is not a problem with our computers, software, or passwords.  It is a problem with AT&T shutting down the FTP access that we have had for over a decade.

If you want to actually help us, find out what the heck is going on with this.  Is the server going to be put back online and when?  If it is online now, what is the url?

Message 6 of 36
Tutor

I just left my 3rd PM on the matter since the 24th. I always left my cell and email contact.  The 3rd PM was to Mariana via the link she provided above in her post. No response yet (other than acknowledgements that someone would contact me).

Message 7 of 36
Community Manager

EricH_TX, I have just replied to your PM. To check for a response, simply click on the blue envelope in the upper right corner of your screen.

Since many users have reported this issue, we are working to find an acceptable solution as quickly as possible, and we appreciate your patience!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 36
e_w
Tutor

Well, the FTP server was online for a few hours late yesterday afternoon but is gone again this morning.  Maybe there is hope that somebody is working on it.

Message 9 of 36

I can't FTP to PWP either!

Hi folks, I can't FTP to my PWP either.

I can still view content there, but can't FTP to home.bellsouth.net

I've tried all other website combinations I can think of, but to no avail.

I, too, just sent a PM to Marianna.... I am very much hoping she can help us....

All our bets are on Marianna......  Help us!...  :-)

Message 10 of 36

Re: I can't FTP to PWP either!

By the way, the URL below is for the FAQ page for using FTP with PWP...

it says use  ftp://pwp.att.net    but I get the same failed results.

http://pwp.att.net/p/s/editorial.dll?eetype=Article&eeid=4138174&render=y&ck=

Message 11 of 36

Well, I did get a quick response back from "Angela V." (regarding the PM I sent) that requested a bit of info to verify my account before she could help me with my specific issue. The email went back to websites.att-mail.com   ... best I could tell from google searches, it seemed like a valid AT&T destination.  (altho there are a lot of very similar destinations that are phishing sites).  Hope I was correct.... we'll see if I get help soon...

Message 12 of 36
e_w
Tutor

Server was online yesterday but is gone again today.  Somebody at AT&T needs to tell us customers what is going on with this service.   ATTMarianaCM where are you?  Tell us something.

Message 13 of 36

FYI:

AT&T's PWP offerings were discontinued in September 2012.

Beginning September 12, 2012, you can no longer create a new Personal webpage. We will continue to support existing pages.

This is a link I found for the FTP. Don't know if it works though as I have never used the PWP.

ftp://USERNAMESmiley TongueASSWORD@pwp.att.net

Since it's almost a year since they stopped offering PWPs, it's quite possible they are decommissioning the FTP access as well. Your only option might be using the web interface at pwp.att.net.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Message 14 of 36
e_w
Tutor

If they are "decommissioning" the service they should let their users know in time to make other arrangements.  And yes, we all know they stopped adding new users a year ago but that notice also came with the promise to continue to support existing users.

Message 15 of 36
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Did you know the AT&T Community forums has the answers you need to solve most service woes? Check out our How To Forum article. You will learn how to find your answer!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues. We highly recommend chatting with our teams to address this as quickly as possible.

Additional Support