PS3 wireless connection with ATT Uverse

PS3 wireless connection with ATT Uverse

Hey, guys. I switched to ATT Uverse this year for faster internet in preperation for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. I HAVE to play wireless because of the location of my router and PS3. I have the ATT Uverse 5031NV router. My question is, how can i get a smoother connection for my PS3? I have already done a ton of research on this topic and decided to put my PS3 in DMZ mode to open all ports in what i understand, is supposed to help the PS3 communicate with the router easier. My connection is still very spotty. Sometimes i have to try to connect to the Playstation Network two or three times before i actually log on. When i'm in the game, the connection tends to lag. I was at a friend's house to play with game and when i got onto his router wirelessy, the connetion was night and day difference. Smooth, fast, responsive. Is this a PACE issue? ATT issue? Any feedback would help. Thanks!

Message 1 of 17 (10,118 Views)

Re: PS3 wireless connection with ATT Uverse

Please, any advice will help. I'm playing my game at the moment and it's horribly spotty. Connection will randomly cut in and out mid game.

Message 2 of 17 (10,087 Views)

I've also tried setting my PS3 in the DMZ mode with a static ip address but apparently that's not possible with this PACE router? From what i've researched, everyone says to set your PS3 in a DMZ with a static ip but i am unable to do this with this router. Again, is this a PACE issue? ATT issue? Still experiences spotty connections online..

Message 3 of 17 (10,059 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

I've written a couple 802.11x drivers.  There is a lot of effort in the spec to account for missed packets without the TCP/IP layer, let alone the user, knowing.  If nothing else you're adding several ms to your lag by going wireless.

For fun install wireshark on your laptop.  Fire it up, start a capture, then start a game on the PS3 and play it for 10-15 seconds.  Wireshark lets you track a single TCP/UDP stream (analyze->Follow xDP stream), that will tell you how many retransmissions the PS3 sends while you play.  If it's very few then the wireless aspect is not the issue.  If there are a lot you might want to think of drilling holes in walls/ceilings and running some ethernet cable Smiley Happy

Caveat:  I've never tried to follow a UDP stream, which is what most games use.  But TCP streams tell a lot about where your networking issues are.  

Message 4 of 17 (10,023 Views)

Hey, snotnose. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. I ended up calling att over this and they're sending out a tech to inspect the line cause they were having trouble getting into my modem on their end. Obviously there's a problem somewhere but it sounds a bit farfetched that regardless of this line interferance, my modem is working perfectly fine for all my other devices EXCEPT my PS3. I'm expecting bad news or the same problem even with their visit but we'll see...
Message 5 of 17 (9,997 Views)
Tutor

DukeBurden,

I don't think it's going to be a line issue. I had the 2wire model wireless modem about a week and a half ago and it fizzled out. So, I called on it and they sent out a tech with a new pace slimline wifi modem. (same as yours) I got everything connected in the house, speeds all matched except for my PS3... ATT messed up and sent the tech out again to our house 3 days later, so I explain it to him and he switchs out the modem for another, but of the same make/model. SAME THING IS HAPPENING!

I too am playing FFXIV: ARR on my PS3 and have been upset with how SE servers were going. But, this modem is horrible for the PS3 it would seem. I get half of my max speed, which should be more than enough. (almost 10mb) But, the intermittent hiccup garbage is killing me in-game. I get stuck on interactions of all sorts & fighting mobs is a dice roll. The only thing I have seen that works is normal attacks and abilities are fickle, even potions. It's making everything very drawn out and horrible.

I too have gone to my router page and tweeked it, but I am still seeing the same thing... GARBAGE!!! I hope someone hops on here and offers a solid solution to this. Thanks for starting this post.

Message 6 of 17 (9,978 Views)

Hey, Van75. ATT came out today and it was my Pace 5031NV router!! They gave me a 2wire 6800? I believe, I'll check when I get home, and it connects perfectly WITHOUT needing to mess with settings!! I'm very happy about this. I recommend this. Something about the Pace just DOES NOT work with the PS3. Idk why but it worked with everything but my PS3.
Message 7 of 17 (9,962 Views)

Van75, my new modem is a 3800HGV-B 2Wire. Works miracles with the PS3. I'm LOVING my gaming experience! Call and ask about this.

Message 8 of 17 (9,956 Views)
Employee

An issue is the 5031 is a $100 purchased RG, the older equivalent is the 2 wire 3600 RG also $100.
The 3800 is a leased RG at $6 per month, if this is acceptable fine, if not need to call and request 3600, sent 3800 back.
The main difference is 3600 HSIA, VOIP....the 3800 HSIA, VOIP, IPTV.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 17 (9,948 Views)
Tutor

I'm on the phone with tech support right now. She's been great trying to isolate and trouble shoot this with me, but to no resolution concerning the modem. It's still not communicating correctly with the PS3. She's informed me that they do not offer support for the PS3, so there isn't much that can be done. I informed her of how you resolved your situation, ie modem, model #. She told me that the only way I could get that modem is to upgrade to the tv services, which we do not currently use nor want. We simply do not watch that much tv. So, now I have to decide if we even should keep our service with ATT or go with someone that doesn't require an upsale to get the proper modem to run my household devices as they should.

I appreciate your response and happy to read that your able to play normally again.

Message 10 of 17 (9,930 Views)

That sucks, Van! Smiley Sad I'm sorry to hear they don't want to help you out. Honestly, it wasn't anything I asked for. I showed the tech that came out what my PS3 was doing. He was tripped out on how it was reacting. So he simply said "let me go get you a different modem and see how that works." And that's all it took. Maybe you can ask for a tech to come out and see if you get the same result I did.
Message 11 of 17 (9,924 Views)
Tutor

I asked that same thing. She told me the only way was to upgrade to tv services. And that the 2wire 6800 was only offered for that and that alone. To trip a tech out it would cost me $150 or get the tv services, the tech fees would be waived, but I would incur a $50 tv services fee. The last time they were out those fees were waived due to faulty equipment. This time (same thing imho) they won't because they do not support PS3. If my laptop, pc tower, mobiles, roku all work... then it's my PS3 and not their faulty modem. Even tho my old 2wire worked great and the previous tech installed the pace slimline, then replaced it with another just to trouble shoot it. From my experiences and reading from yours, it's the pace modem. ATT just will not budge on fixing it. I was told to contact Sony and ask them to make a system update to allow their modem to work correctly... HAHAHAHA! Are you kidding me?!?!

Message 12 of 17 (9,916 Views)
Tutor

Duke,

Since the tech installed that 6800 as a trouble shoot, are you forced into using the tv services?! And are you incurring the $6 a month leasing fee for the 6800 modem?! Hopefully not on both since they should have compatible equipment to begin with and you would think they'd want to make their customers happy. There is a viable solution to the problem, the 2wire 6800, but they seem unwilling to part with it to provide quality solid service just to make more money... that's just nutters to me.  

Message 13 of 17 (9,912 Views)

Nope. I even asked about my modem fees. He said I'll keep that one but keep paying on the Pace. He said they're the same price so nothing should change. I don't have ATT Uverse TV or home phone. Internet is all I have. You're right though. It IS the Pace modem. It simply does not jive with the PS3. Every other device in my house worked on it EXCEPT what I actually bought the service for, the PS3.
Message 14 of 17 (9,896 Views)
Employee

For van 75, you may request to purchase a 2wire 3600 (basically same as 3800 without tv)
The cost is $100 and would be shipped directly to you, upon received sent the pace back for credit.
Note the 2wire 3600/3800 is only good to max 2200 feet, if your distance is over neither would work.
Then internet only RG is the pace 5031 for longer loop lenghts or leased 3801 ($6 per month)

For Duke you still have your pace 5031 (purchased), the 3800 is leased watch your billing.
Unless the tech provided you with the 3600 (same price) but your earlier post stated 3800 2 wire.

The 3800/3801/i38HG and 589 cannot be purchased.
If you lose or damage the 3800 the charge is $150 so not same price.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 15 of 17 (9,854 Views)