Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Aug 24, 2013
8:38:44 PM
View profile
PS3 online gaming Frequent Disconnects.

Hello. My mom used to have a router for ATT and it was so slow that online gaming and just surfing the web was just impossible. We called and asked for ATT Uverse HighSpeed Internet. so about 2 weeks ago a ATT tech guy came over and installed an 5031NV-030 Router/Modem into my house. The internet is superb. The connection with my Laptop is perfect. but it is my PS3 i am having problems with. Everytime i logg onto my PS3 and try to sign into PSN it gives me an Error Message saying i could not connect to PlayStaion Network. if i wait a few minutes and then try again it will then connect to PSN. But if i join a game online and play for about 5 minutes, i get a message saying that i have lost connection to the server, or i have lost connection to PSN and i am taken out of the game. This always happens it never fails. so I called ATT techsuppport and was directed to a man who took control of my computer , accessed my router, and set my PS3 into DMZmode. He said that the problem should be fixed. So i tested the connection (not in game, just through network settings on the PS3) and all settingss were successful (internet connection, Playstation network connection, ect.). so i thanked him and all that jazz and hung up. But once i tried playing a game online, 5 minutes later i got the same error message stating that i have lost connection to the server or disconnected from playstation network. Now ive searched and searched, looked up forums about this issue, some stated changing my NAT type, about Putting my PS3 into DMZ mode, Setting my Ps3 into a Static IP address, port forwarding and all (And i am no computer Genius, half of the things i read did not make a lick of sense to me, especially the port forwarding.) i just wanted to ask if anyone can help me with this issue. Why does my PS3 disconnect from the online gaming? i read somewhere that sometimes it will disconnect me if i am Hosting a game so i should stick to Joining games, but even when i join a game i still get that error message stating disconnection. my PS3 is currently set in DMZ mode. Please Someone help (and try to be as clear as possible because i do not understand alot about computers. Please try to break it down step by step if possible. Thank you)

Hello. My mom used to have a router for ATT and it was so slow that online gaming and just surfing the web was just impossible. We called and asked for ATT Uverse HighSpeed Internet. so about 2 weeks ago a ATT tech guy came over and installed an 5031NV-030 Router/Modem into my house. The internet is superb. The connection with my Laptop is perfect. but it is my PS3 i am having problems with. Everytime i logg onto my PS3 and try to sign into PSN it gives me an Error Message saying i could not connect to PlayStaion Network. if i wait a few minutes and then try again it will then connect to PSN. But if i join a game online and play for about 5 minutes, i get a message saying that i have lost connection to the server, or i have lost connection to PSN and i am taken out of the game. This always happens it never fails. so I called ATT techsuppport and was directed to a man who took control of my computer , accessed my router, and set my PS3 into DMZmode. He said that the problem should be fixed. So i tested the connection (not in game, just through network settings on the PS3) and all settingss were successful (internet connection, Playstation network connection, ect.). so i thanked him and all that jazz and hung up. But once i tried playing a game online, 5 minutes later i got the same error message stating that i have lost connection to the server or disconnected from playstation network. Now ive searched and searched, looked up forums about this issue, some stated changing my NAT type, about Putting my PS3 into DMZ mode, Setting my Ps3 into a Static IP address, port forwarding and all (And i am no computer Genius, half of the things i read did not make a lick of sense to me, especially the port forwarding.) i just wanted to ask if anyone can help me with this issue. Why does my PS3 disconnect from the online gaming? i read somewhere that sometimes it will disconnect me if i am Hosting a game so i should stick to Joining games, but even when i join a game i still get that error message stating disconnection. my PS3 is currently set in DMZ mode. Please Someone help (and try to be as clear as possible because i do not understand alot about computers. Please try to break it down step by step if possible. Thank you)

PS3 online gaming Frequent Disconnects.

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 9:22:55 AM
(0)
Master

vickie6681 wrote:

Well, placing the PS3 in the DMZ is pretty much the same as forwarding ports. Only difference is with port forwarding, you open specific ports, and with DMZ you open all the ports.

With static addressing you're basically telling the PS3 to request the same address from your modem/router every time it connects. There are directions in your PS3 manual for configuring static IPs. It's a fairly simple process, but you will need to know what address the modem/router has set to DMZ and that is the address you want to assign in the PS3 configuration.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

vickie6681 wrote:

Well, placing the PS3 in the DMZ is pretty much the same as forwarding ports. Only difference is with port forwarding, you open specific ports, and with DMZ you open all the ports.

With static addressing you're basically telling the PS3 to request the same address from your modem/router every time it connects. There are directions in your PS3 manual for configuring static IPs. It's a fairly simple process, but you will need to know what address the modem/router has set to DMZ and that is the address you want to assign in the PS3 configuration.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Re: PS3 online gaming Frequent Disconnects.

2 of 5 (1,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 8:41:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you for replying. im sorry it has taken me so long to reply back but my "ATT high Speed internet" Went out saturday and the tech just came today (friday) to resolve the issue. i asked him about fixing the firewall so it willl stop disconnectiing me from online play. and all he said was "Yepp that sounds like a Firewall problem" nodding his head. i guess that was a bad judgement on my part with me thinking he would atleast attempt to fix the problem (which he didnt). And about setting up a Static IP address, if i cant find my original PS3 manual, is there a site i can go to online that could show me how, That is fairly simple to understand? My PS3 is currently in DMZ mode, but what you said kinda gave me the thought that although it is set on DMZ mode on my modem/router , it is not yet configured to that setting on my actual PS3? is that right, or am i just confusing myself even more? hahaha. Im just trying to get my Online stuff working correctly before i get GTA5. i heard the online multiplayer on that game is EPIC. haha. Please respond again. And thank you for your time.

Thank you for replying. im sorry it has taken me so long to reply back but my "ATT high Speed internet" Went out saturday and the tech just came today (friday) to resolve the issue. i asked him about fixing the firewall so it willl stop disconnectiing me from online play. and all he said was "Yepp that sounds like a Firewall problem" nodding his head. i guess that was a bad judgement on my part with me thinking he would atleast attempt to fix the problem (which he didnt). And about setting up a Static IP address, if i cant find my original PS3 manual, is there a site i can go to online that could show me how, That is fairly simple to understand? My PS3 is currently in DMZ mode, but what you said kinda gave me the thought that although it is set on DMZ mode on my modem/router , it is not yet configured to that setting on my actual PS3? is that right, or am i just confusing myself even more? hahaha. Im just trying to get my Online stuff working correctly before i get GTA5. i heard the online multiplayer on that game is EPIC. haha. Please respond again. And thank you for your time.

3 of 5 (1,739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2013 12:53:44 PM
(0)
Master

Hey Vickie, no problem, we're here to help if we can.Smiley Happy

The manuals can be found here: http://us.playstation.com/support/manuals/ps3/index.htm

The DMZ is a function of your modem/router which basically allows what ever device that is placed in the DMZ to share the public address of the modem/router. It's like going to the club and bypassing the bouncer at the door checking IDs.

Whenever a device like your PS3 connects to your modem/router (wired or wirelessly), the device will ask the modem/router for a private address. The modem/router will hand out an available address from a limited pool of addresses. As devices connect and disconnect, they will be assigned addresses, and depending on how long they've been disconnected, they may get a diiferent address because their previous address has been assigned to another device already. If that happens, and your PS3 gets a new address, then the DMZ in the modem/router might be pointing to the wrong device. Setting the PS3 to use a static address will make it so the PS3 doesn't ask for an address from the modem/router, it tells the modem/router "I am at this address".

Normally, to do what you need, you would have set the PS3 to use static addressing before you turned on the DMZ in the modem/router. You can still get the result you want, but you'll have to modify the DMZ in the modem/router.

When you set the static address on your PS3, you want to use an address outside the limited pool of addresses I mentioned earlier. I would suggest using 192.168.1.10 as the address for the PS3.

Once you've done that and the PS3 connects to the modem/router, you'll have to change the DMZ in the modem/router to point to 192.168.1.10

Hey Vickie, no problem, we're here to help if we can.Smiley Happy

The manuals can be found here: http://us.playstation.com/support/manuals/ps3/index.htm

The DMZ is a function of your modem/router which basically allows what ever device that is placed in the DMZ to share the public address of the modem/router. It's like going to the club and bypassing the bouncer at the door checking IDs.

Whenever a device like your PS3 connects to your modem/router (wired or wirelessly), the device will ask the modem/router for a private address. The modem/router will hand out an available address from a limited pool of addresses. As devices connect and disconnect, they will be assigned addresses, and depending on how long they've been disconnected, they may get a diiferent address because their previous address has been assigned to another device already. If that happens, and your PS3 gets a new address, then the DMZ in the modem/router might be pointing to the wrong device. Setting the PS3 to use a static address will make it so the PS3 doesn't ask for an address from the modem/router, it tells the modem/router "I am at this address".

Normally, to do what you need, you would have set the PS3 to use static addressing before you turned on the DMZ in the modem/router. You can still get the result you want, but you'll have to modify the DMZ in the modem/router.

When you set the static address on your PS3, you want to use an address outside the limited pool of addresses I mentioned earlier. I would suggest using 192.168.1.10 as the address for the PS3.

Once you've done that and the PS3 connects to the modem/router, you'll have to change the DMZ in the modem/router to point to 192.168.1.10

neon_sign.jpg

4 of 5 (1,724 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 6:48:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

So, I'd turn the DMZ to ON.
what values would I put for the IP Addresses? 

Whatever values I put there, I'd set the PS3 to be outside that range.  And where would I store that IP address in the router?

So, I'd turn the DMZ to ON.
what values would I put for the IP Addresses? 

Whatever values I put there, I'd set the PS3 to be outside that range.  And where would I store that IP address in the router?

5 of 5 (1,473 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments