Helpful Links

No internet after u-verse upgrade

No internet after u-verse upgrade

Hello , yesterday I decided that it was finally time to upgrade my u-verse speed . I was sitting on 12mbps and couldn't pass up the deal to 24mbps. I upgraded online and after 15 minutes my internet went out . I thought to myself , " oh just needed to reset the RG and ill be good to go " boy was I wrong. The router is blinking red and green broadband lights and has been since yesterday. I talked to 2 of their "customer service" reps. One was really nice and the other one you could tell was reading a trouble shooting script and had no idea what he was doing. He told me that I needed a new RG which I though was hilarious because my RG was completely fine before I upgraded , I knew the problem was not in the RG. The earliest time a tech can come to my house is Saturday and boy do I regret the "upgrade". I'm not sure what the problem in connection is but from what I've gathered is that sometimes they need to upgrade the software on the boxes outside, or I simply so not have the required phone line for 24mbps. 5 days to dispatch a technician is absurd though.
Tags (1)
Message 1 of 9
Employee

Re: No internet after u-verse upgrade

Do you know what your profile was before upgrading?
If all you had was 12M internet only (no tv service) your profile was either 13 or 19.
To support 24 M internet they would have to change your profile to 32M.
If loop length and noise margin was marginally, work fine low profile.
But not able to sync at higher rate, could be outside line, or inside wiring or both.
24 M internet requires a dedicated cat5 home run from NID to RG.
If this is not your current setup be prepared to sign a work order for $154.
That is $99 service call plus $55 for wiring, includes jack, biscuit, or wall plate.
If not willing to pay, might as well call and have 12M restored.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 9

Why do they not warn their customers that they're going to have to shell out 155$ , AND 5 days of no internet service. Unreal service and you're probably right about the set up , all I had was 12Mb internet, that's why I was skeptical about upgrading it, can't be just that easy . Oh well probably going to call them and cancel it all together , better not be a 180$ fee because I "renewed" their plan. Thanks
Message 3 of 9
Employee

First you ordered online, did not talk to a rep who could have run some tests to see quality of line(s).
Second, suspect your original install was a CSI (equipment shipped to you) so you take responsibility for all inside wiring issues.

Your address is green for 24M internet, thus able to order product, if this was a new install a full tech install required. $149..
Includes jumper at SAI, sync checks, update NID, new home run.

As this is upgrade not new, if everything's works great, if not tech will verify sync at NID, update NID, and run quality check outside lines same as fora CSI all at no charge.
And like a CSI any issue from NID to RG your responsibility, billable to correct.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 9
Teacher

Did they try to bump your profile back down and restore the previous service before the tech comes out? If its not the gateway that should put everything back and you would at least have service in the mean time.

Message 5 of 9

Give you an update , I talked to a tech support again today , he refreshed my connection from the main box multiple times with no success. The phone call got disconnected unfortunately. I called back second time and was told that my line magically broke and that the technician will come Saturday to try to repair it. I almost mentioned of downgrade in the mean time to restore it so I can have 12mbps down and he "assured" me that this will not fix my issue. I inquired about 32M wiring that a person have mentioned above and was confirmed that I do indeed have the correct outlet for 24MBPs net. What a big headache. College student with no internet wish me luck
Message 6 of 9

Ok, so I found another phone outlet in my other room, connected my router and it works -_-. Could the switch to higher bandwidth overloaded or shorted some wires in the outlet in my room? Also will I be charged by their tech to fix it ?
Message 7 of 9
ACE - Expert

bogdan1992 - The router should be connected with a direct wire that is not multipled to other outlets. The extra wire deteriorates the signal. If you get a sigmal on two outlets, you do not have a direct wire.

Inside wire is the customers responsibility. Perhaps a recent install may qualify as a warrantee.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 9
Employee

Aviewer....OP starts thread with finally decided to upgrade...not a recent install and by all sounds was a CSI so even if a recent install inside wiring issues is still billable unless OP can rewire themselves before Saturday.
Employee Contributor*
Message 9 of 9
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues, we are here to chat!

Additional Support