Netgear GADSL wifi problems

Contributor

Netgear GADSL wifi problems

Hi. We had the 2wire router for years and it finally died. So I went to my local AT&T store and bought a new router, the Netgear one. Everything set up easily and connected right away. Ever since then, several times a week we will try to get on one of our laptops and there will be no connection. It usually says something like the wireless security settings do not match those on the computer. I have checked my security settings and they appear to be fine. I have my settings on WPA2-Personal and have the router set up as a 'Home' network. If I go unplug the router and then plug it back in that fixes it for a while, but the next day or so it happens again. Anybody else have similar problems or know what my problem may be?
Message 1 of 2 (2,171 Views)

Re: Netgear GADSL wifi problems

kevmania69 wrote:
Hi. We had the 2wire router for years and it finally died. So I went to my local AT&T store and bought a new router, the Netgear one. Everything set up easily and connected right away. Ever since then, several times a week we will try to get on one of our laptops and there will be no connection. It usually says something like the wireless security settings do not match those on the computer. I have checked my security settings and they appear to be fine. I have my settings on WPA2-Personal and have the router set up as a 'Home' network. If I go unplug the router and then plug it back in that fixes it for a while, but the next day or so it happens again. Anybody else have similar problems or know what my problem may be?

Is it always the same laptop that has problems? How old is the laptop?

Go to this page in your modem/router:

Screenshots from PortForward.com

Try changing the wireless "Mode" to "G" and "N" only ( or "N" only if all your devices are "N" compatible).

Try changing "Security" to WPA/WPA2 Mixed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 2 (2,143 Views)