Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Apr 19, 2014
1:33:32 PM
My account was never activated and AT&T sent my bill to 3 collection agencies

This is a last resort as I have been unable to resolve this issue with any CSR over the phone after repeated attempts.

I ordered internet service from AT&T. A modem was delivered to my house and I was required to do a self-installation on November 18th, 2013. According to AT&T’s instructions: "After you've installed your equipment, you'll need to complete the registration. During the registration process, you'll be presented with the AT&T High Speed Internet Terms of Service, which you must accept in order to complete registration and use the service."

I was never able to activate the account or complete the registration process or agree to any terms of service because the equipment that was sent never worked. I called customer service and was on the phone with a representative from AT&T for over an hour. He was unable to get a signal to the modem. I was told they would need to send a technician to my house in order to activate it. I was given a 4 hour time slot for a day later in the week. I took off from work and waited for over 4 hours and the technician never showed up. I immediately called AT&T and told them to cancel the order because of the horrible service I already received for an account that hadn’t even been activated yet. I had such a bad experience that I had no interest in giving AT&T my business. I was emailed return postage to send back the modem. I sent the modem back immediately and was assured that I would not be charged anything since they were never able to activate the service.

A few weeks later I received a bill for $51.00. I called AT&T and was transferred to the most obnoxious customer service representative I’ve ever spoken to. He told me that I didn’t owe anything and that it was a mistake and to tear up the bill. I asked him to send me confirmation in writing and he yelled at me and said he just told me I didn’t owe anything and then he hung up on me.

About a week later I received a collection notice (dated January 13, 2014) from a debt collection agency. I called AT&T again and was told that I did not owe them any money. I disputed the debt with the collection agency and continued to follow up with AT&T. I called AT&T three times and requested to speak with the billing supervisor and all three times I was disconnected.

When I followed up with the collection agency two weeks later they told me that AT&T verified that I did not owe anything and they were not going to pursue it any further.

Now three months later, my account has been sent to two more collection agencies (different than the first collection agency in which the situation was supposedly resolved). I have been continually harassed with letters and phone calls from collection agencies. I have been hung-up on four times by AT&T customer service reps when I tried to handle the problem directly with them and now they have the nerve to harass me and send my account to collection after I had to put up with the most disgraceful customer service I have ever dealt with.

I do not owe any money to AT&T. My Account was NEVER activated. The equipment they sent me NEVER worked and their technician NEVER showed up to fix it. I have verification of this-two emails from AT&T confirming that the order was cancelled and that the modem was to be sent back.

I always pay my debts and have an excellent credit score of 808. However, I refuse to pay any amount of money to AT&T. In fact, they owe me an apology and $120 in lost wages for having to wait for their incompetent employee who never showed up.

If I receive any more collection letters or phone calls in regard to this matter I will be filing complaints with the FCC and the Better Business Bureau.

This is a last resort as I have been unable to resolve this issue with any CSR over the phone after repeated attempts.

I ordered internet service from AT&T. A modem was delivered to my house and I was required to do a self-installation on November 18th, 2013. According to AT&T’s instructions: "After you've installed your equipment, you'll need to complete the registration. During the registration process, you'll be presented with the AT&T High Speed Internet Terms of Service, which you must accept in order to complete registration and use the service."

I was never able to activate the account or complete the registration process or agree to any terms of service because the equipment that was sent never worked. I called customer service and was on the phone with a representative from AT&T for over an hour. He was unable to get a signal to the modem. I was told they would need to send a technician to my house in order to activate it. I was given a 4 hour time slot for a day later in the week. I took off from work and waited for over 4 hours and the technician never showed up. I immediately called AT&T and told them to cancel the order because of the horrible service I already received for an account that hadn’t even been activated yet. I had such a bad experience that I had no interest in giving AT&T my business. I was emailed return postage to send back the modem. I sent the modem back immediately and was assured that I would not be charged anything since they were never able to activate the service.

A few weeks later I received a bill for $51.00. I called AT&T and was transferred to the most obnoxious customer service representative I’ve ever spoken to. He told me that I didn’t owe anything and that it was a mistake and to tear up the bill. I asked him to send me confirmation in writing and he yelled at me and said he just told me I didn’t owe anything and then he hung up on me.

About a week later I received a collection notice (dated January 13, 2014) from a debt collection agency. I called AT&T again and was told that I did not owe them any money. I disputed the debt with the collection agency and continued to follow up with AT&T. I called AT&T three times and requested to speak with the billing supervisor and all three times I was disconnected.

When I followed up with the collection agency two weeks later they told me that AT&T verified that I did not owe anything and they were not going to pursue it any further.

Now three months later, my account has been sent to two more collection agencies (different than the first collection agency in which the situation was supposedly resolved). I have been continually harassed with letters and phone calls from collection agencies. I have been hung-up on four times by AT&T customer service reps when I tried to handle the problem directly with them and now they have the nerve to harass me and send my account to collection after I had to put up with the most disgraceful customer service I have ever dealt with.

I do not owe any money to AT&T. My Account was NEVER activated. The equipment they sent me NEVER worked and their technician NEVER showed up to fix it. I have verification of this-two emails from AT&T confirming that the order was cancelled and that the modem was to be sent back.

I always pay my debts and have an excellent credit score of 808. However, I refuse to pay any amount of money to AT&T. In fact, they owe me an apology and $120 in lost wages for having to wait for their incompetent employee who never showed up.

If I receive any more collection letters or phone calls in regard to this matter I will be filing complaints with the FCC and the Better Business Bureau.

My account was never activated and AT&T sent my bill to 3 collection agencies

8 replies
(3) Me too
(3) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 11:04:36 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello @reallyorange Thank you for posting.

I'm sorry for the issues you're experiencing with AT&T. Our team will be happy to help. Please send us a private message by clicking here with your full name, phone number, account number (if you have it) and the best time you can be reached. One of our managers will be contacting you directly within 3 business days to assist.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello @reallyorange Thank you for posting.

I'm sorry for the issues you're experiencing with AT&T. Our team will be happy to help. Please send us a private message by clicking here with your full name, phone number, account number (if you have it) and the best time you can be reached. One of our managers will be contacting you directly within 3 business days to assist.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: My account was never activated and AT&T sent my bill to 3 collection agencies

2 of 9 (606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 5:46:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

Dmitriy, I cannot leave a private message because you did not leave a link for me to click 

Dmitriy, I cannot leave a private message because you did not leave a link for me to click 

Re: My account was never activated and AT&T sent my bill to 3 collection agencies

3 of 9 (571 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 6:04:19 AM
(0)

@reallyorange please click on his name, it will take you to his page where you can click on send a private message. This is an orange button on the right hand side of the user page for each person.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

@reallyorange please click on his name, it will take you to his page where you can click on send a private message. This is an orange button on the right hand side of the user page for each person.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

4 of 9 (569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 6:08:40 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thank you.
Thank you.

5 of 9 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 6:10:30 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Thank you, I got your message and one of our managers will be contacting you soon.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Thank you, I got your message and one of our managers will be contacting you soon.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 9 (565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2014 5:54:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

Somebody called me and said I would be receiving a call from the billing department within 48 hours. That was 4 days ago And I still have not received a call from them. 

Somebody called me and said I would be receiving a call from the billing department within 48 hours. That was 4 days ago And I still have not received a call from them. 

7 of 9 (503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2014 11:59:57 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello again @reallyorange 

Have you received a call or email yet? I checked your case and it looks like someone will be contacting soon with a resolution if they have't yet.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Hello again @reallyorange 

Have you received a call or email yet? I checked your case and it looks like someone will be contacting soon with a resolution if they have't yet.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

8 of 9 (460 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2014 4:05:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes someone did contact me. Thank you for following up on this Dmitriy.

Yes someone did contact me. Thank you for following up on this Dmitriy.

9 of 9 (448 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments