Posted Mar 20, 2014
7:29:25 PM
McAfee security is hogging my system resources and I can't uninstall it

I recently received an email from ATT notifying me of McAfee security download. Once I installed McAfee, it has taken over my system and my response time is abysmal. I have tried several times to uninstall it but it hangs up. I tried to recover my system to an earlier point but that had no effect. It takes 15-20 minutes to boot up. Any ideas on how to rid my system of this system hog?

McAfee security is hogging my system resources and I can't uninstall it

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 7:41:42 PM
(0)
Guru
Hello GeorgeClark,

When you say 'recover my system to an earlier point' are you referencing Microsoft's System Restore or a third party program? Have you tried starting up in Safe Mode?

Re: McAfee security is hogging my system resources and I can't uninstall it

2 of 7 (492 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 8:09:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

I was using Fix-It Utility to restore settings to the day prior to the install. When I check Task Manager, I still see processes for mcsheild.exe and msconfig shows McAfee Security Center in the startup tab. I hadn't tried MS System Restore but will learn about it and give it a try. Haven't tried safe mode. What will it allow me to do?

Thanks, George

3 of 7 (484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 8:14:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

I forgot to mention that I'm on Vista if that makes a difference.

Thanks again.

4 of 7 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 9:09:54 PM
(0)
Guru
Safe mode starts Windows with a limited basic set of files and drivers. Startup programs do not run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed. I don't think that McAfee services and processes will start in Safe-Mode. If this is the case, and the installer hangs due to an active process, then having the process deactivated may allow the installer to complete the uninstall successfully. (Without actually knowing what your current set-up is, it can be difficult to consider any conflicts.)

I don't have much experience with the Fix-It utility, when I used it in it's earlier days it was never a positive experience. It may be possible that the Fix-It Utility has already performed the system restore. If this is case, it may not help, but there shouldn't be harm in trying it, if it's available to you.

5 of 7 (475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 1:50:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

I was able to use Microsoft System Restore to get back to the point before McAfee was installed. I was not aware that that capability was there. I don't know why the Fix-It utility did not work but I am back to normal now. Thanks so much for your help.

George Clark

6 of 7 (430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 5:09:45 PM
(0)
Guru

Glad to hear that worked for you! May I suggest you look into Microsoft Security Essentials for your malware protection? It's designed by Microsoft and is fairly light in resource consumption.

7 of 7 (421 Views)