Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Aug 17, 2013
2:48:54 PM
View profile
Looping disconnects on wireless signal

The modem I've got (2Wire 2701HG-B) has been working great since we got it. And when it doesn't, I usually powercycle it, and the problem's fixed. I've had this modem for about a year with little to no trouble at all.

However, today this isn't the case. Whenever the wireless signal light comes on, the modem will restart itself. It will start completely back up, all lights green except for the wireless one. Wireless light comes on, the modem restarts again after a click. All the lights turn off except for the wireless light, with the power light blinking red. The modem will click, the wireless light will go off, and the other lights will all come back on normally. But again, wireless light comes on, and it starts over.

This has been going on for about two hours, maybe. Powercycles, both computer and modem, do not work as I've done them three or four times. The only time I can stay connected to the internet is when I got into the HomePortal and disable the wireless signal, which is how I'm posting this now (and the internet is behaving normally during this). But when I reactivate the wireless signal, as soon as it comes on, the loop begins again.

Here's to hoping someone can help solve this.

The modem I've got (2Wire 2701HG-B) has been working great since we got it. And when it doesn't, I usually powercycle it, and the problem's fixed. I've had this modem for about a year with little to no trouble at all.

However, today this isn't the case. Whenever the wireless signal light comes on, the modem will restart itself. It will start completely back up, all lights green except for the wireless one. Wireless light comes on, the modem restarts again after a click. All the lights turn off except for the wireless light, with the power light blinking red. The modem will click, the wireless light will go off, and the other lights will all come back on normally. But again, wireless light comes on, and it starts over.

This has been going on for about two hours, maybe. Powercycles, both computer and modem, do not work as I've done them three or four times. The only time I can stay connected to the internet is when I got into the HomePortal and disable the wireless signal, which is how I'm posting this now (and the internet is behaving normally during this). But when I reactivate the wireless signal, as soon as it comes on, the loop begins again.

Looping disconnects on wireless signal

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2013 11:41:46 AM
(0)
Master

ibrave53 wrote:

From your description, I would say either the modem, or the modem's power supply (wall wart), is taking a dump.

Have you tried a factory reset? To do so, leave the modem plugged then press and hold the reset button for ~15 seconds.

Do you know exactly when you got your modem? There should be a one year warranty on it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

ibrave53 wrote:

From your description, I would say either the modem, or the modem's power supply (wall wart), is taking a dump.

Have you tried a factory reset? To do so, leave the modem plugged then press and hold the reset button for ~15 seconds.

Do you know exactly when you got your modem? There should be a one year warranty on it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Re: Looping disconnects on wireless signal

2 of 2 (133 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments