Helpful Links

Issue with lag spikes at 10 pm or 11 pm ish every night

Mentor

Issue with lag spikes at 10 pm or 11 pm ish every night

Hello,

I currently have AT&T DSL 3.0 MB/s. When my connection is stable, it usually averages around 2.8 MB/s on speedtest.net or on AT&T's test site. However, most every night around 10 or 11 pm my connection becomes incredibly unstable, with pings in the 200s or higher and DL speeds anywhere from .4 MB/s to 1.2 MB/s. This never used to happen, and it only became an issue sometime in the Fall of 2012. Around that time our internet went out for the night and when I called AT&T they said they were working on lines in our area. Ever since then, we've gotten this terrible lag spike at the same time every night. It's very inconvenient because this is when I use the internet the most, and I get pages that don't load when I'm trying to do work online, and I get kicked out of games do to lag when I'm trying to play Battlefield 3.

Message 1 of 26
Mentor

Re: Issue with lag spikes at 10 pm or 11 pm ish every night

Wow, much better now. Speed is at 3 mb/s but also unstable

Message 16 of 26
Mentor

Aaaaaand it's back. 8.15 pm .26 mb/sec DL with 57 PING

stats4.png

The connection seems better than before, but it's still wildly inconsistent. Like it will be at 2.8 mb/s and then for a period of 10 seconds or more it will go down to less than 1 and then go back. This really screws me over when I'm submitting forms online or in a multiplayer game.

Message 17 of 26
Mentor

After I last posted, connection was stable until 8.45 pm, when it went down to .75 mb/s

Message 18 of 26
Mentor

Lag again at 11.25 pm

Ping 70 .40 mb/s DL

Message 19 of 26
Mentor

Lag started at 10:19 pm tonight. 107 ping 1.12 mb/s DL

stats5.png

Message 20 of 26
Mentor

7:55 pm 56 ping .18 mb/s

stats6.png

Message 21 of 26
Mentor

12:45 pm tonight. It was happening earlier a little after 11 but I didn't get a chance to get stats back then

56 ping, .85 mb/s download

stats7.png

Message 22 of 26
Highlighted
Mentor

Huge spike starting at 8:15 pm tonight. Went down to .5 mb/s for 30 seconds then right back up to normal again. Still kicked me from my game though.

Tags (1)
Message 23 of 26
Mentor

Started at around 10:45 pm tonight. Ping was fine at 55 but download is down under 1.3

Message 24 of 26
Mentor

9:45 pm tonight lag spike. Ping 70 (which is ok) DL speed .55 mb/s (which is unacceptable) .25 UL

stats10.png

Message 25 of 26
Contributor

Did you ever get any resolution to this? it seems like you gave some information and were ditched in the end based on what I can see right here, I'm dealing with a similar problem (it starts around 6 to 7 pm each night though) atm and am all over the place trying to figure it out, that's why I ask.

Message 26 of 26
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues, we are here to chat!

Additional Support