Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Nov 28, 2013
10:50:45 AM
View profile
Isolating a Public Server From a Home Network

I am running a public minecraft server and I am starting to worry about network security.

I am curious about how I would isolate the server from the rest of my home network so that if it is compromised, the attacker cannot access the rest of my network.

From searching around, I have found one solution that seems like it would work in my case. It involves setting up a Dual Firewall DMZ as briefly explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(computing). However, I'm not sure how to set up anything like this or if this is even my best option for isolating the server from the network.

I currently have a 2Wire 3801HGV Router/Modem for U-Verse. 

If anyone has any ideas or further instruction, that would be great.

I am running a public minecraft server and I am starting to worry about network security.

I am curious about how I would isolate the server from the rest of my home network so that if it is compromised, the attacker cannot access the rest of my network.

From searching around, I have found one solution that seems like it would work in my case. It involves setting up a Dual Firewall DMZ as briefly explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(computing). However, I'm not sure how to set up anything like this or if this is even my best option for isolating the server from the network.

I currently have a 2Wire 3801HGV Router/Modem for U-Verse. 

If anyone has any ideas or further instruction, that would be great.

Isolating a Public Server From a Home Network

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 11:22:30 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, schmidty58!

Thanks for posting. We can definitely help you find the best way to isolate your server. If you don't mind, go ahead and send us a private message by clicking here.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, schmidty58!

Thanks for posting. We can definitely help you find the best way to isolate your server. If you don't mind, go ahead and send us a private message by clicking here.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Isolating a Public Server From a Home Network

2 of 2 (102 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments